Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196816 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are you from the Bay Area or further up north in California?

Bay area. It's nice to be from this area in terms of SDCC, because we have the option of either flying or driving, depending on what is more convenient for that particular year.

This year we're going to do a slow drive down, stopping at Magic Mountain and a couple of other places along the way before getting to San Diego, then on the way back we're thinking of going to Seaworld and Universal Studios.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
Hi, everyone - I'm Leonard from Cleckheaton in West Yorkshire. This will be my third Comic-Con in a row; my first, in 2010, was my honeymoon trip with my then-new wife Caroline, a Welsh woman born and bred.

[snip]

I'm doing my best to pass on any help to fellow Con-ers travelling from the UK with a dedicated Group and I'm hoping I'm not over-staying my welcome on the other pages. And I'm so looking forward to meeting up with everyone, in a pub, at some point in July - don't know about calling a round in but I'll do my best! See you in SD!
Welcome to the new forums, Leonard! (Great thread with IFTTT.com, by the way.)  Nonsense, it's great that there are some international SDCCI fans visiting here.  Perhaps someone could make a meet-up thread in the "Off-Topic Chat" area, if one is interested in having a forum hang-out during con... ^_~

Wish I could take credit for that bit with the lingering-on-the-rooves, but Fritz Lieber came up with the original phrasing of that in a poem from Ill Met In Lankhmar. Sorry, I should've cited that source, then and there. Credit where credit's due, obviously. I get completely muppets sometimes, I apologize ^_^
Ha ha, not at all.  Shhhhh, you're not supposed to tell us that.  ;p

Bay area. It's nice to be from this area in terms of SDCC, because we have the option of either flying or driving, depending on what is more convenient for that particular year.

This year we're going to do a slow drive down, stopping at Magic Mountain and a couple of other places along the way before getting to San Diego, then on the way back we're thinking of going to Seaworld and Universal Studios.
Oh, nice!  Sounds like a wonderful vacation.  If you can, you might as well enjoy the sights and sounds of a few theme parks along the way. ^_^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:09:36 AM »

Offline redneckotaku

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
Hey there,

My name is Tom and I'm from outside Baltimore, MD. I'm deeply engaged in fannish things (mostly anime and gaming). My first time at SDCC was back in 2007 and it wasn't fun due to not choosing what I really wanted to see. This year I will have a full weekend pass, but will only do a couple days and try to do Seaworld and some other local attractions. The biggest things I'm looking for is to finally meet Katsuhiro Otomo (the manga-ka of Akira along with anime director) and to see some Iron Man 3 panel.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »
Hey there,

My name is Tom and I'm from outside Baltimore, MD. I'm deeply engaged in fannish things (mostly anime and gaming). My first time at SDCC was back in 2007 and it wasn't fun due to not choosing what I really wanted to see. This year I will have a full weekend pass, but will only do a couple days and try to do Seaworld and some other local attractions. The biggest things I'm looking for is to finally meet Katsuhiro Otomo (the manga-ka of Akira along with anime director) and to see some Iron Man 3 panel.
Hi Tom!  Welcome to the new FCCI forums.  It'd be really cool to meet Katsuhiro Otomo!  I hope you get the opportunity to do so.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline steev

• Sails Pavilion
    • my facebook photography page
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
hello! my name is steve and i've been attending comic con off and on since 99. i'm heavily into photography, toys, horror related, music...to name a few. speaking of, i'm getting some new business cards/flyers made specifically for comic con that i'll be passing out to cosplay attendees that i photograph. i've taken pictures in the past that turned out alright and i thought to myself, "wish i knew this person so they could see their pic". or like on year i had mine taken (regular clothes) but i've never seen it.

anyway, thanks to those responsible for this board, and looking forward to july!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Hi Steve,
I am glad you like the board!  It's a labor of love for us.
I've got to think of a way to better let people to post their pictures... & maybe figuring a way to find the photographer...If you think of a way we could help let me know<grin>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
Ohhhh~h, cool, near Temecula.  I actually live twenty minutes (without traffic, of course, ha ha) from Downtown S.D. *laughs*
Rainer and Zero are pretty close to me then! :) I live in the IE also. I'm more inland tho (Hemet) but my roots are in North (San Diego) County.

Hi, everyone - I'm Leonard from Cleckheaton in West Yorkshire. This will be my third Comic-Con in a row; my first, in 2010, was my honeymoon trip with my then-new wife Caroline, a Welsh woman born and bred.

I'd heard of Comic-Con for years before, just as it had started getting insanely popular. However, when I saw (or rather, heard) the crowd reaction of Hall H to the teaser footage to Tron: Legacy, I was determined to make my way to San Diego. It would be not only my first Con, but also my first trip to California, to America - and my honeymoon? Big trip!

That's an awesome way to spend your Honeymoon! I was in the Tron: Legacy panel during 2010. They recorded sound bites of us saying/doing things during the panel. It was awesome and if they actually used it the arena chanting = the SDCC panel.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
Steve, as someone who has had their photo taken, I can tell you that I would appreciate a business card so I can see my picture later! I egt these from time to time and I always keep them and look up my pics. They're great to see! It's a very thoughtful idea.

Offline steev

• Sails Pavilion
    • my facebook photography page
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
once we get closer to the con people will start posting "i'll be wearing this..." posts, so we can meet up. but to play it safe, i can always post a link afterwards with the pics i take. i love seeing other peoples con pics as well. the weirder the better, haha...

not too website savvy, but there has to be someone on here that can figure it out. i would just be careful though because some people like to post ALOT of pictures and in big sizes. sure you're seen those threads from time to time  ;)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
hello! my name is steve and i've been attending comic con off and on since 99. i'm heavily into photography, toys, horror related, music...to name a few. speaking of, i'm getting some new business cards/flyers made specifically for comic con that i'll be passing out to cosplay attendees that i photograph. i've taken pictures in the past that turned out alright and i thought to myself, "wish i knew this person so they could see their pic". or like on year i had mine taken (regular clothes) but i've never seen it.

anyway, thanks to those responsible for this board, and looking forward to july!
Hello there, Steve! Welcome to the new forums!  Oh, a cosplay photographer?  Nice!

Glad that you could join us here.

Rainer and Zero are pretty close to me then! :) I live in the IE also. I'm more inland tho (Hemet) but my roots are in North (San Diego) County.
Oh, the Inland Empire. Cool!  Yep, I'm in San Diego. (Moved down from L.A. for college, ha ha.)

once we get closer to the con people will start posting "i'll be wearing this..." posts, so we can meet up. but to play it safe, i can always post a link afterwards with the pics i take. i love seeing other peoples con pics as well. the weirder the better, haha...

not too website savvy, but there has to be someone on here that can figure it out. i would just be careful though because some people like to post ALOT of pictures and in big sizes. sure you're seen those threads from time to time  ;)
I'm sure the other mods and I can figure something out. ^_~  Don't worry.  There's already a special section for cosplay on the forums, so that's a good place to start... As for pictures, there is a limit to how big a picture can be before it is automatically shrunken into a thumbnail size. (Otherwise, people can just post links instead of using the image BB code tag.)

^_^d

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 02:16:31 AM »
Hullo everyone!

First off, massive props to Alyssa and Zero for putting this all together and for being so incredibly patient and helpful to newbies like me. I really appreciate all the advice given by everyone on the forums, so THANK YOU, seriously.

I'm PZ, and I hail all the way from Singapore. This will be my 1st time at SDCC so I'm just thrilled out of my mind to be able to go.

I used to attend conventions and cosplay quite a bit from 2005-2008 when I was studying/living in Australia, but after graduating and moving back to Singapore to work I tried to put fandom and the like behind me following a lot of pressure from my family, ex-partners and bosses to "grow the hell up and focus on your life and career".

...Fat chance, really.

A couple of years, the ending of some relationships and a bit of job-hopping later I'm still as diehard a fangirl as ever, and I'm finally lucky to have a boss who's supportive of my hobbies, no status-conscious partners who are embarrassed by my cosplaying, and parents who have finally come to terms with the fact that being a responsible, financially independent adult and a crazy fangirl isn't mutually exclusive. And it looks like I've been bitten by the cosplay bug again. Regrets? I HAVE NONE. :D

I've been a Potterhead for over 13 years, but my current obsessions would be Supernatural, Shameless, Sherlock, Misfits and BBT. I'm also a huge fan of Gaiman's Sandman (and his other fiction works), Lucifer, Wormwood, Unwritten, Fables, Fell, Air, Y: The Last Man and Runaways. However, I'm always open to new shows, comics and the like, so hit me up if any of you are looking to convert a new fan!

I used to be a rabid Gleek (actually I used up last summer's leave on Glee Live instead of SDCC) but my interest in the show has waned because S3 is getting too disappointing for my love of the characters to even sustain watching it. Still, it was a fun ride and I had amazing memories of meeting the cast.

I admit that I'm most excited about the panels and getting to see my favourite actors and writers in the flesh this July, but another highlight is getting to know other fans because I don't have many real-life friends who are into books, movies and shows the way I am. Finally, I'm just psyched about  visiting the US again, since I only get to go about once a year.  You guys have GIGANTIC food portions, and THAT'S what I'm talking about, not the tichy little portions you get here in Asia. :D

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:50 AM »
Hullo everyone!

First off, massive props to Alyssa and Zero for putting this all together and for being so incredibly patient and helpful to newbies like me. I really appreciate all the advice given by everyone on the forums, so THANK YOU, seriously.

I'm PZ, and I hail all the way from Singapore. This will be my 1st time at SDCC so I'm just thrilled out of my mind to be able to go.

[snip]

I admit that I'm most excited about the panels and getting to see my favourite actors and writers in the flesh this July, but another highlight is getting to know other fans because I don't have many real-life friends who are into books, movies and shows the way I am. Finally, I'm just psyched about  visiting the US again, since I only get to go about once a year.  You guys have GIGANTIC food portions, and THAT'S what I'm talking about, not the tichy little portions you get here in Asia. :D
Greetings, PZ.  This is a place to share info and ideas, so I'm glad to be a part of this community as well.  (I'm still doing coding and graphic designing for the forums, so stay tuned for a few more updates, ha ha.)

Wow, all the way from Singapore!  That's a long way, but it's wonderful that we have quite a lot of international fans here on the forums.  At any rate, I think forum communities such as this are great ways to meet new people--especially for cons.  ^_^d
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:55:27 AM by Zero »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
LOL, PZ! People here don't realize how big the food portions are. I agree, it is eye-opening to compare to other countries.

I can see how excited you are to be coming! I am glad that you have such a supportive group of people around you.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »
Hullo everyone!

Heh, no wonder I'm getting bigger every year! I may need to move overseas soon  :o
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
Wow, all the way from Singapore!  That's a long way, but it's wonderful that we have quite a lot of international fans here on the forums.  At any rate, I think forum communities such as this are great ways to meet new people--especially for cons.  ^_^d

Yeap, my best friend and I have to fly for over 20 hours to get to the US, but we're stopping by NY for a couple of days before heading to SDCC. I think it would be awesome to meet up with new friends at the con - maybe we could have a get-together after the con for drinks!

@Transmute & MegaDoug - you guys have no idea how much I crave good ol' American diner breakfasts. Seriously. FLAPJACKS AND SAUSAGES. I always put on 5-9lbs every time I holiday in the US hahahaha!