Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Cosplay Plans/Projects  (Read 7377 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
SDCC 2019 Cosplay Plans/Projects
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
With a h/t to [member=2419]lilredrubi74[/member] who started this thread last year :)

Anyone else deciding on their cosplay projects for SDCC and other 2019 events?

Offline jasperthecactus

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 25
Re: SDCC 2019 Cosplay Plans/Projects
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
I'm currently working on a Lars of the Stars for ECCC. It'll be my first time cosplaying at a con, so I'm going to use it as a sort of test run to determine whether there are any edits or fixes I want to make before SDCC. It's turning out to be more of a challenge than I expected. I'm struggling to get the top portion of the cape shaped correctly without a dress form or something other than myself to shape it on!
SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
ECCC: 2018, 2019
RCCC: 2018

“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:30:22 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9691
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
I'm still working on my Handmaid costume. I did a test run at NYCC and found some things that needed to be adjusted for practicality and comfort. I'm getting those changes done for ECCC, Where I will test it again.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »
So I used to cosplay back in my youth.  I think I was about 15 or 16 the last time I cosplayed which means this will be *mumbles a number under my breath* years since I've done it.  I'm going to test out my costume at my local anime con before attempting to do it at SDCC.  Not sure how uncomfortable it'll be since SDCC is so hectic, but meh.  I plan on cosplaying as Aizawa from Boku no Hero Academia :D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
Since I'm going to Dragon Con this year my costume plans are greater than the past couple years.  I have two new costumes in the works, but I'm not sure if they'll be ready in time for SDCC.  I'm doing a classic comic Wolverine (brown/yellow) and John Marston.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
I'm gonna try and get a Nejire-chan and Camie Utsushimi from BNHA knocked out by SDCC. I miss cosplaying so much!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
I'm gonna try and get a Nejire-chan and Camie Utsushimi from BNHA knocked out by SDCC. I miss cosplaying so much!

We can meet up for a theme photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
So Cosplay folk.  I did my Aizawa cosplay and nearly died.  Of course this is Hawaii and it's much more humid but I don't think it'll be much better in San Diego.  Heat is heat.  For my next Hawaii con I'm considering updating it to be "Hawaiian Vacation Aizawa" and do like board shorts and an Aloha shirt and a kukui nut lei.  It'll keep me cool and be topical. But oh man I just don't know if I'll be able to tweak it for SDCC.

How the heck do you guys stay cool in big heavy costumes??  Goodness gracious.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:04:28 PM »
I run really cold in general which helps. Plus the convention center is SUPER air-conditioned so I'm fine inside. Walking outside is awful sometimes, but, well, that's why we're so committed to convention-adjacent, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »
I run really cold in general which helps. Plus the convention center is SUPER air-conditioned so I'm fine inside. Walking outside is awful sometimes, but, well, that's why we're so committed to convention-adjacent, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's true, haha.  For the con this weekend I stayed at a hotel about the same distance away as the HBF, though, and it was painful.  Yes, I stayed at a hotel that was two miles from my house.  I could see my apartment from my balcony.  It was DUMB but it was a staycation and it helped to be able to relax during the con.  So even with that, I was MELTING.  But the humidity here is ugh.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 07:00:05 PM »

Til this very day I still don't know. I think just drinking lots of water and knowing when to take breaks helps.

As for SDCC, I feel like it's not really a cosplay-centric type of con. Maybe it's just the number of attendees but I feel like cosplayers make up a small percentage and most people are in normal gear. SDCC is probably the only con where I maybe cosplay 2 out of the 4 days and even then I only cosplay for 3 hours tops since it's so hot.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
Til this very day I still don't know. I think just drinking lots of water and knowing when to take breaks helps.

As for SDCC, I feel like it's not really a cosplay-centric type of con. Maybe it's just the number of attendees but I feel like cosplayers make up a small percentage and most people are in normal gear. SDCC is probably the only con where I maybe cosplay 2 out of the 4 days and even then I only cosplay for 3 hours tops since it's so hot.

Good to know!  I may just wear my character's goggles.  I did that for the second day of my local con and people still called me "Aizawa" even though I only had one piece of the costume.  Might as well get my money's worth haha.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
So Cosplay folk.  I did my Aizawa cosplay and nearly died.  Of course this is Hawaii and it's much more humid but I don't think it'll be much better in San Diego.  Heat is heat.  For my next Hawaii con I'm considering updating it to be "Hawaiian Vacation Aizawa" and do like board shorts and an Aloha shirt and a kukui nut lei.  It'll keep me cool and be topical. But oh man I just don't know if I'll be able to tweak it for SDCC.

First of all, like semigeekgirl said, the convention center is usually freezing (except that one year where the AC broke...).  The convention center is so cold sometimes i have to wear a jacket even though its 90 degrees outside.  Always keep moving.  Standing in one place (unless its directly underneath the AC) is more uncomfortable than walking on a regular basis.

Secondly, I wear Under Armour underneath almost all of my costumes when possible.  It helps keep you cool and helps keep sweat from pooling in one area.  It helps avoid sweaty armpits and sweaty elbow pits/knee pits.  Plus once the Under Armour is wet from sweat it can help keep your body cool.

Lastly, it doesn't hurt to keep a little portable USB powered pocket fan with you. 

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »
How's everyone's cosplay progress/SDCC cosplay lineup shaping up?

My lineup for SDCC 2019 is GoT-centric so I'm bringing my Arya Stark cosplay and I'm currently finishing up Lyanna Mormont's season 8 armor as well as Jaime Lannister's season 3 outfit (I have a friend who'll be cosplaying as bear pit Brienne and her other friend will be cosplaying the bear.)

I'm still debating whether or not I want to bring my revamped Tokoyami with Dark Shadow cosplay since I'm already bringing 3 and luggage is pretty limited but we'll see.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »
My daughter recently decided she wants to cosplay this year after all.  We went to JoAnn and ordered a ton of stuff on Amazon, and now the house is a disaster :).  She is making a Sansa cosplay and my other daughter is ordering an Arya cosplay.