Author Topic: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check  (Read 11837 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Interesting related tidbit, from:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The issue of travelers bringing more carry-on items through security checkpoints to avoid additional bag fees was raised at the hearing. Neffenger acknowledged it is a problem saying there are four times as many carry-ons coming through security compared to what gets checked. Louisiana Democrat Rep. Cedric Richmond urged Neffenger to look into waiving checked-bag fees if passengers enroll in the TSA's Pre-Check program. He called the additional bag fees many airlines impose "just another way to dig in the American people's pocket." But he did offer a solution. "Why don't we say anyone who has Pre-Check, the airlines can't charge you baggage fees. And that would drive people to go enroll in Pre-Check and we get to, not stick it to the airlines, but we'd get to help the American people," Richmond said.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
i love the idea- it'll never happen because it makes too much sense-

i just applied on monday- it was a painless super easy, 5 min process- the only annoying thing was finding the place - it was stuck between two wacky places- like a teen crisis center and a drug rehab place-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 08:57:45 AM »

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
Just a little thing from anyone who might be on the fence about deciding whether to apply for this or not (I'm not as I don't fly as much as I used to.)

I sent the link along to my father and stepmum as they're flying quite a bit now and they replied back saying that they actually had already done it and been approved. They said it was one of the best travel decisions they made for how much it shaves time off their airport plans. They also did it, separately, while going through a major hub airport.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 04:50:29 PM »
The more I see on these news stories about 2 hour TSA lines at airports, the more glad I am that I did this.

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the great info! We are living overseas (Middle East), and US citizens. Going to see if when we are in the US this summer whether or not son and I would be able to do the interview etc. We are lucky that the airport near us does a pre-clearance for US customs here (Abu Dhabi) so when we land in LAX we are already cleared and not stuck in customs. The pre-check would save son time when he has to fly back and forth for college in the fall. Again thanks for the links.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
Silly question (cause I looked but could not find the answer)...the TSA info states that you can leave your "liquids and gels in your carry on".  Do you still have to follow the whole 3-1-1 rule (3oz of stuff in 1 1qt bag) or can I put more in my carry on?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
I still follow the 3-1-1 rule, but leave the ziploc bag in my carryon.

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »
Silly question (cause I looked but could not find the answer)...the TSA info states that you can leave your "liquids and gels in your carry on".  Do you still have to follow the whole 3-1-1 rule (3oz of stuff in 1 1qt bag) or can I put more in my carry on?

Technically you are still required to follow the 3-1-1 rule.  And I have had my bag pulled on occasion if I have stuff outside of that.  However!!!! I do sometimes have a stray item here or there that they overlook.

They still do not allow full sized items. 

Offline Mdgeist316

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
For those of you who have it already, how long did take for your approval to come through? Since SDCC is in a little over 6 weeks, I'd like to have it by then.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
i had an appt on monday the 23rd. 
apparently my positive eligibility determination was made on the 26th and a letter was mailed. 

i have added my KTN to my profile on line at southwest.com.  I do not know if it will automatically populate to my previously made reservations.  I will be calling in a few days to make sure it's attached to my sdcc reservations.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 04:49:31 PM »
i had an appt on monday the 23rd. 
apparently my positive eligibility determination was made on the 26th and a letter was mailed. 

i have added my KTN to my profile on line at southwest.com.  I do not know if it will automatically populate to my previously made reservations.  I will be calling in a few days to make sure it's attached to my sdcc reservations.

It will not automatically populate. You will have to call up Southwest, have the KTN number added to each of your previously made reservations, and have each reservation resubmitted.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
Unfortunately the closest office to me for the appt is booked for the next 90 days, but I'm available to walk-in...so I'm going to take a day next week and do that...see what happens.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
Unfortunately the closest office to me for the appt is booked for the next 90 days, but I'm available to walk-in...so I'm going to take a day next week and do that...see what happens.

As someone further back in the thread said, make sure to check regularly to see if appointments open up. It sounds like people make appointments and cancel them frequently enough.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:22 PM »
yes!

like check every morning

Offline unicornpeg2003

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I just applied and set my appointment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk