Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84146 times)

Offline PurpleCalico

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2018, 02:26:09 AM »
Name of Hotel:
Days Inn San Diego Hotel Circle Near Seaworld. It's located in Mission Valley.

Type of Room:
2 queen beds, it was the only option left when we made the booking on onPeak.

Number of Nights You Stayed:
6 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There:

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Yes, a restaurant called "Bunz" that sold mostly burgers and hot dogs. They have an adequate beverage selection too, their milkshake was pretty good. The hotel staff gave us a 20% discount card to use throughout our stay so we ate there for dinner on most nights. They do not have complimentary breakfast but their breakfast menu is decent.

If you're willing to walk, there's the Fashion Valley mall which is 15 min from the hotel with a lot of food options but they do not have a grocery store there. For groceries, you'll have to walk to Trader Joe's at Westfield Mission Valley which is about a 20-30 min walk from the hotel. My fiance and I did enjoy the long walk along the San Diego river trail. Westfield Mission Valley has a Target too and other dining options as well.

* How was the hotel staff?
We only interacted with the front desk staff and they were polite and courteous.

* Did you order room service?
They do not provide room service.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.
They had a pool, jacuzzi and a gym, I believe. We did not use them. I know they had ice machines on the ground floor and a laundry room which we also did not use.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
The room my fiance and I were given was pretty big and it was comfortable for us to move around with our luggages open. The bathroom isn't tiny unlike what other reviewers online stated. As for sleep, we requested a quiet room and were given a room in the highest floor (level 3). Other than hearing people walking directly outside our room, it was indeed quiet most of the time. The hotel itself is quite near a highway so if you are a light sleeper, you can hear some traffic in the early hours of the morning but other than that, we slept like babies.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We didn't drive but I read online that they did charge a parking fee per night.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
This hotel is all the way in Mission Valley and thank goodness the shuttle stopped right in front of the hotel. It took about 40 minutes to get to the con by shuttle in the morning. The map states you can take the trolley from Fashion Valley all the way to the convention centre but we didn't buy trolley passes so I can't comment how long it takes via trolley.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
If people raise their voices or slam their doors/drawers really hard, we could sometimes hear them. If someone walks directly outside your room, you can hear them too. Most of the time though, it was quiet. I read reviews that if you stayed on levels 1 or 2, you could hear the people upstairs. So if you want a lot of peace and quiet, request for the top floor, level 3.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? 
Yes. You had to sign in every day which I found a little annoying.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Nope.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
Given that the hotel is all the way in Mission Valley, the chances of celebrity sightings are close to zero. The room does have a keypad safe, a small fridge, microwave, hairdryer, and an ironing board.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
- It was cheap, less than USD$200 per night.
- It wasn't a fancy hotel but it was very comfortable for us to rest and recharge every night.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
- It was very far from the convention centre and it was the second last stop on the shuttle route so you may not be able to get on the bus in the mornings. My fiance and I circumvented that by undertaking a quick 10 min walk to the first stop (The Handlery Hotel) on the shuttle route when we saw that the line was long at our hotel. It was worth it, IMO.
- No complimentary breakfast. Since we did our grocery run at Trader Joe's, our breakfast and lunch were mostly granola bars, bread, sandwiches, and wraps bought from there.

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
Name of Hotel:
Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room:
2 Queens   

2017, 2018

Hotel Review:

Yes – I didn’t try any of there food options at the Bayfront, only because my family is really picky.

The staff have always be kind and courteous. One particular staff member named George at check-out both this year and last year, hooked me up with all the keycards for the week.

No

My family used the pool twice this trip. My wife and son loved it!

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably? Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Room size seemed about average to me, the 4 of us had plenty of room.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Was told it was $35 a night for parking, when I checked out on Monday, the same guy George told me he would take $10 off each night since I was a silver rewards member. So it ended up being $25/night.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
5 minutes at most to get to the beginning of Hall H.

* Are the walls of the room thin? What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
For us the room was really quiet.

Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program? What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
I’m silver member, free wifi, and $10 each night off for overnight parking.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
For me I’m lucky and saw quiet a few celebrities, my family saw no celebrities. I saw Joss Whedon at 2am in the lobby. I also saw Seth Green, Sonequa Martin-Green, Katie McGrath, and Malcolm Barrett. And this was just this year.

-Extremely close to the convention center
-Extremely close to Hall H & everything else lines.
-Tons of celebrity sightings, at least for me.

For us this year there wasn’t any reason not to like our stay at this hotel this year.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 03:15:21 PM »

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Gaslamp

Type of Room: 1 King Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018

Hotel Review:

I *loved* this hotel. We usually stayed a little further away at the Hampton Inn every year to save money, but we should have been trying to stay here all along.

There is a restaurant inside, as well as room service. And it's in the Gaslamp so there are dozens of places to go.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
   Hotel staff was very nice, although they are bad at math :) (At check out, they messed the totals up and charged me $40 that my buddy should have paid)

We were too exhausted to leave again one night so we did order room service. The food was awful.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
   Nope, no time for love, Dr Jones.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
   The room was huge, I loved it.

We didn't park, but parking was valet only and $85 a day.

5 minutes on foot.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
   I could hear construction on Sunday night from the take down but otherwise nothing.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
   Only for Hilton Honors members.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
   Yes - free internet was all I noticed

Nichelle Nichols stayed at our hotel - we saw her checking out on Monday morning. AMC hosted celebrity interviews there, but we didn't see anyone from the Walking Dead casts.

So close to the Con, and so close to the little grocery store where we buy sodas and snacks every day. I genuinely loved this hotel.

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

It was definitely about $50 more a night than we wanted to pay, and they wanted to charge me another $40 for a room with two beds (I said no). The only other drawback was fighting the crowds lined up for the DC Universe offsite since the line wrapped around past the hotel door.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room: 2 beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

Yep! Bayfront has two restaurants, plus the bar, and they always have a food thing set up across from the Indigo Ballroom and directly outside on the sidewalk.

Didn't really deal with the staff much but everyone I talked to was nice.

No, I think room service has all kinds of extra fees, and I just don't have that kind of money.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
  I told myself I was going to use the pool, but that's a laugh. Like I have time! It looked really nice, though.

There were 5 of us in the room and I think there was a good amount of space. It seemed bigger than the room we had last year at the MMM but that could be me misremembering because I didn't really like the MMM. As the last person to the room, I had to unpack my suitcase and stick it in the closet, but that was fine.

n/a

Super quick trip! Going to the 6 ballrooms was a bit of a hike, but getting in line for the convention in the morning was a breeze.

We were high up and I didn't notice any noise.

If you are a Hilton Honors member (free to join), yes. Two of the people in my room are HHonors members, we had a code we could use.

Two of my roommates were. I know we got the free wi-fi, I don't know if there was anything else.

It's the Bayfront. It's, like, the perfect place to spot celebs. Although you may see Logan Paul, like I did, and have the sudden urge to throw up.

As press, it was SUPER easy to do my interviews, and I was able to run upstairs after and get stuff re-charged and online.
Our room had a great view, so we were able to keep an eye on the lines and judge when we should head down.
Not as busy as I was expecting, waits for the elevator were nowhere near as bad as MMM.

Price, mostly. With 5 people in the room it wasn't terrible, but the 5th night was just 2 of us and that was too much.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline a_peachtree

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Sofia Hotel

Type of Room: 1 King Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 (Wed - Sat, checkout on Sun)

Hotel Review:
   There was one restaurant inside the hotel, but a bit on the pricier side, in my opinion. They did have a decent happy hour though. There is a Coffee Bean and Tender Greens on the same block (no having to cross streets to get to them!), and a Chipotle across the street.

The hotel staff were nice and friendly. The concierge was also great - very knowledgeable about the history of the hotel.

No, and I'm not even sure if they offered them.

There was no pool. But free yoga classes in the morning and you could rent bicycles. Originally, the biggest perk for me was that they were pet-friendly (we originally planning on bringing our pup, but left him with family instead).

The room was a bit on the small side - even with only a single bed. But it wasn't to terrible, mostly just cozy. We didn't spend a lot of time there so it wasn't that big of a deal. If we had more luggage, it might have been a bit difficult to move around.

Valet was $37 a night. There was self-park, but it was in a lot that had apparently jacked up the prices to $65 a day.

It was about 10 - 15 minute walk (I walk a bit fast though) to the convention center. Half that by Lyft (we got real lazy one day). I didn't take the shuttle or the trolley, though I believe there was a shuttle stop nearby.

Didn't have any problems with noise, but we were in a corner room.

Yes

No

+ It was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of Gaslamp, but still close enough that it was a quick walk there
+ Clean rooms
+ Free bottle water
+ Fridge and microwave in the room
+ Friendly staff
+ Conan taping was right across the street (I didn't go, but this would probably be a plus for a few people)
+ It was easy to get to on Wednesday night. We got off the freeway and were at the hotel in only a minute or two

- The bathroom was set up a bit weird...There was no shower door, just glass that covered half the shower. Also, the bathroom door didn't close all the way. Ours might have been broken though.
- It's away from the Gaslamp, so the streets around are less crowded. Can be both good and bad, depending on the time of night and how comfortable you are with walking non-busy streets late at night.

Offline Karilg

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »
Name of Hotel: Embassy suites

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?) 2 room premium suite with two double beds and a pull out

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review:

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember). Yes, hotel offered free breakfast and happy hour, which we took advantage of. Breakfast was your typical pick and choose with the option of having your own omelette made. Also, to the side is a Dunkin’ Donuts for morning coffee

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, for the most part. Just make sure you tie your Hilton honors to reservation. They will treat you better

If yes, tell us about if you had a good experience with room service.
Nope

Didn’t use any

It’s a bit smaller than I imagined but still very roomy for 4 women(it can make a difference bc we have so much stuff). We used both the beds and the pull out

We didn’t use overnight parking because it’s $50 a day which is kinda ridiculous in my opinion

To the hotel using the shuttle was about five minutes. Walking to the con was about 10-15 minutes. The round about for the shuttle to the con would have been a 35 minute ride

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? It’s pretty decent. Too tired to really care

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes for hhoners

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, used my sisters so don’t know what level

Not really. They do have a keurig in the room

-close to convention center
-dunkin donts
-the amount of room we had

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 
Sorry this might be longer than needed...
The day we checked in we couldn’t flush the toilet and didn’t have running water. I called to ask why and the lady said that the city was having water issues and that it affected the whole hotel and block and it would be back to running around 5 pm (checked in at noon). Asked a little while later, and the said it is only one side of the hotel that wasn’t working. Checked back after that and then was told that only 12 rooms were affected by a leak in the hotel and ours was one of them. Was never told about the problem when I checked in and they had to give us one of the 12 rooms that had problems. So I was a bit annoyed
Also, the ice machine on our floor was out of order, so I had to go a floor down to get ice

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel: Omni

Type of Room: 1 King size bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review: Hotel was awesome, staff was super friendly and helpful. Obviously the hotel being right in Gaslamp made it easy to drop off our stuff and get a quick break. Rooms are quiet, little bit of a wait for elevators during busy times which was during the evening.

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, we didn’t eat there though.

* How was the hotel staff? Super friendly and helpful. I asked for mini fridge and microwave when we got in the room and they were delivered quickly along with extra towels and toiletries.

* Did you order room service? No

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? There were three of us and it was comfortable but i can see the room getting small quick if we had bought more things.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Only valet here. Parking garage across the street available, I parked at airport offsite parking and caught the trolley into downtown.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Not sure

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Signed up for Omni rewards before I checked in so that gave us free WiFi.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Not a lot of celebrity sightings, family and I did ride in elevator with Robert Kirkman and that was awesome.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?  Nothing, it was another fun trip for us and looking forward to next years comic con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:07:21 PM by vegasndn »

Offline clechang

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin Gaslamp

Type of Room: 1 king bed. We ended up in an accessible room.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a restaurant inside the hotel that offered Comic-con daily specials, but we didn't use it.  It is also next to a mall and, of course, in the Gaslamp, so there were lots of restaurants within walking distance.

We checked in Wed evening and the guy who checked in seemed like he was in a rush and not too friendly.  We asked for a crib for our room for my daughter, he said he'll send one up. We went out for dinner, came back and there was no crib.  Had to call the front desk to have them send us one.  Other than that one front desk guy, everyone else seemed very nice.

They do have a gym, outdoor pool, and indoor hot tub. 

Yes, the room felt very spacious.  I would say normal to larger than normal size.

We always walked.  10-15 min walk.  Very manageable.

We never heard any neighbors.  Only the occasional water pipes or when people spoke in the hallway.  Nothing too annoying.  However, our window faced the front lobby entrance and the backlot of the Spreckles theater.  There was a protest/strike going on at the hotel so we heard the protesters 2 of the mornings we were there. We use a noise machine for our baby, so it drowned most of the noise out, but you could still hear it.  Could also hear the screaming of fans when the celebrities arrived/left the Conan show which was cool.

Only free for SPG members.

We stayed in room 725 and the shower would make a very loud sound when you switched it from tub to shower.  I think the valve is slightly broken because it couldn't fully send all the water to the showerhead causing the banging pipes sound.  It still worked, just don't take late night or early morning showers to prevent annoying your neighbors.

- location, location, location
- walking distance to Convention Center
- close to bus stop that takes you to/from airport
- next to Spreckles (for Conan fans)
- lots of restaurants nearby
- quiet rooms
- pool

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »

Name of Hotel:
Wyndham San Diego Bayside

Type of Room:
1 Queen

6 nights

Hotel Review:

Yes, a restaurant inside the hotel and a couple of small eateries next door.

Very nice. Had to ask for a few ietsm during the stay and they sorted them out very quickly.

No.

Two Gyms and a pool. Went in the pool a few times. Was nice to have a swim after walking around the con during the day.

The room was a decent size. Toilet and shower were very big, even had a wardrobe in it. Our room had a city view and when you stepped onto the balcony you could see for miles. Was very picturesque.

N/A

About 20 minutes on foot from the convention centre. If you are coming into San Diego by train then it is around the back of Santa Fe depot.

Walls were not that thin but did hear someone playing a trumpet one morning. Beyond that didn't hear any noise.

Yep and it was very fast.

Yes. No perks that I know of. Just banked up the points.

Wonderful hotel that is just far enough away from the melee to make you feel as if you are on holiday rather than at SDCC. Stunning views across the water as well.
Had a couple of celebrity sightings - Ralph Garman and Freddie Prinze Jr.

Location was excellent and it was a very good price through OnPeak.

- The bar inside the hotel was a bit expensive. That's the only negative.

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hotel Republic

Type of Room: 2 full sized

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Hotel Review:

Yes, a restaurant inside and restaurants all around, never had a bad meal.  The restaurant within the hotel was a little expensive though but definitely good.

Very polite and helpful no issues.

No

Weekdays has included breakfast if you're a Marriott Gold or Platinum member.  Very good but just have to get in early.  Also has a very nice clean gym.

Room was a good size, very comfortable, water bottles restocked each day.

Walked most of the time about 20 mins max, Bike rental took less than 10 mins

Thick walls didn't hear anyone

Yes, free wifi if you're a Marriott member

Yes, Marriott, Gold level which included free breakfast during the weekdays and free WiFi

Extremely nice, away from the craziness, easy to grab food, great staff

Distance from convention center at times but overall would easily stay there again

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
Name of Hotel: Embassy Suites Downtown San Diego

Type of Room: Their usual room with 2 double beds + sofabed. All rooms at this hotel are considered a "two-room suite".

Number of Nights You Stayed: 9 nights

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? There is free breakfast which is good. There is a nightly Evening Reception with complimentary drinks (cocktail/beer & non-alcoholic) and hors d'oeuvres. The hotel has a restaurant but we did not dine there. They also have a Baskin-Robbins & Dunkin Donuts. We attempted Baskin-Robbins one night -- an hour before their posted hours said they closed -- and the doors were locked and employees inside were cleaning. Seaport Village is right across the street which offers several dining options. We walked over and bought cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory and brought it back to our room (the night that Baskin-Robbins decided to close early). Our kids got items from Dunkin Donuts once.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Overall, most staff was friendly. We asked for a bathmat and got it super fast. However, there was one day we arrived back in our room to find only 3 towels (they knew we had 5 in our room). We called and asked for more towels and they said they would be right up. We waited an hour and no towels. Called again and was told they couldn't bring them and could we come down. Other than that situation, housekeeping and the general hotel staff was great. The guys who do the cooking at the breakfast (omelets, etc) are super efficient & quite amazing at their job! Unfortunately, valet was hit and miss on friendliness.

Did you order room service? We did not order room service, but they do have it.

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They have an indoor pool, an outdoor spa, and a gym. We did not use any of them.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably? Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  We had 5 in our room and it was very comfortable. Embassy Suite rooms are almost always a good size. One room is like a "living room" with a sofa/sofabed, table/chairs, and a TV. Another room is like a traditional bedroom with the beds.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Parking is valet only at $50 a night.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We drove into the convention center each day. Due to the new road closures, this made driving in and out longer than it used to be -- it probably took us 20 minutes with traffic? Our kids used the shuttle a couple times -- coming from the convention center to the hotel is super fast. You are the first stop so you are on the shuttle for maybe 5 minutes? From the hotel to the convention center it's longer, more like 20-30 minutes, depending on time of day?

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? In the main bedroom, you didn't hear anyone. In the main "living room" area, you could hear people walking by your room if they were noisy. Luckily this wasn't much of an issue for us.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes with Hilton Honors membership.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? We are Hilton Honor members, but just their lowest introductory level so we had free WIFI and earned points on our stay.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? No celebrity sightings.

-Close to the convention center, but also not right in the middle of everything (which we liked). Close to lots of restaurant options.
-Views: we didn't pay for a bay view (although I would consider doing that in the future), but we were on the top floor with a partial bay view and partial city view.
-Room Size: we were able to spread out and had plenty of room
-Three sinks/mirrors: This was a huge plus for us. There was a sink/mirror in the bathroom (like usual), but also one off the walkway to the room with the beds and another by the microwave & mini fridge. With having 5 people in our room, this helped multiple people to get ready at the same time.
-Two TV's: Again, having 5 people in our room, it was nice that we could relax and watch different things, if we wanted to.
-Keurig: I'm not sure if all rooms have a Keurig, but our room did and we liked having one rather than the usual hotel coffeemaker. They provided multiple K-Cup options, which were refilled when used.
-Free Breakfast: We didn't eat it every day of our stay, but it's nice to know that it's there if we do want it. I won't say this is the best free hotel breakfast (we've had better), but it's decent and you can also order omelets and eggs cooked however you like them.
-Evening Reception: My husband and I only took advantage of this once (and I think our kids did it twice), but it was nice to have.

-Valet: This is the only reason we may not end up staying there again since we always drive to SDCC. While it wasn't horrible, it wasn't great either. Sometimes there was quite a wait to get your car -- even if you called ahead (which I highly recommend you do). The price + tip, plus the wait, and the unprofessional nature of a few of the valet employees made the valet our least favorite part of staying here. Valet constantly changed settings in our car too -- seat position, radio, A/C.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »
Name of Hotel:
SpringHill Suites Mission Valley
Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
2 King-sized beds and 1 pull out sofa. Slept four men comfortable. It was a suite.
5 Nights
Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)
Hotel Review:

(Here are some questions to get you started as you think about your hotel stay during Comic-Con.  Again, you can answer all or some of these questions to help you write your hotel feedback comments.)

The hotel had a free breakfast buffet. Hot items were usually scrambled eggs, oatmeal, sausage patties or links. There was fresh fruit (bananas, plums, etc.) and hard-boiled eggs, that I put in containers and brought to the convention center for snacks throughout the day.
   The hotel staff was extremely polite and courteous. I felt welcome.
   No, I never order room service.
   The hotel had a gym and outdoor pool.  I did not use the pool, but I did use the gym in the morning. It was quiet, clean, had enough equipment for a good strength training workout. There was also a water cooler which I used to fill up my water bottle to take to the convention center. (Water and healthy snacks are huge for me at the con.)
   There were four of us and we were able to sleep and walk around fine. The only thing I didn't like was the bathroom and shower set up. There were two rooms: one with a toilet and sink, one with a shower and sink. This was great for being able to use the bathroom while someone else showered, but the doors were odd. They slid closed and didn't close and lock like typical doors, so there was a little bit of space where someone could peak in on the sides. Not that anyone did, but I like total privacy in the bathroom. Also, the doors were frosted and you could see the outline of a person in the bathroom. I would rather have a solid door.
   N/A
   I was concerned about this, but the shuttle only took 25 mins. tops. I was upset about having to stay in Mission Valley, but it actually worked out pretty well. The only time it took us a long time to get to the con was on preview night. We left the room at 5pm and didn't get to the convention center until about 6:15. However, on the other days going either way the ride was no more than 25 mins. and we always had room on the shuttle.
   Hotel was very quiet.
   Yes, WiFi was free and it actually worked. Usually hotel WiFi doesn't work on all my apps, so I end up using data, but this hotel had great FREE WiFi.
   No.
   Honestly, I would always prefer to stay downtown, but after staying at this hotel in Mission Valley I am now open to that option. Next year, I am honestly going to consider the early bird and skip the headache of the lottery. This hotel was great and the price was super cheap as there were four of us sharing the suite.

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.
-Free breakfast with fresh fruit and hard-boiled eggs to take to the con as snacks
-Free and GOOD WiFi
-Gym with water cooler for filling up my water bottle
-Large room
-Friendly and courteous staff
-Lobby computer with printer
-Clean hotel
-Affordable price
-Also, the mall was pretty close. I got an uber express pool over and it was less than 5 dollars. The mall nearby was important because I wanted to get new Comic books on Wed. (which you cannot get at the con) and there was a great comic book shop in the mall. The one downtown is closed.
-Nothing.

***Again, for those who worry about getting stuck with Mission Valley, it's not as bad as you think and I'm actually considering the early bird next year to avoid the hassle of the hotel lottery. When it was fill the form out as fast as you can, I always was able to get the hotel I wanted or something downtown. Since it's been randomized, I haven't been as lucky. THANK YOU TO BRANDIE FOR GIVING ME THIS ROOM AND BEING AVAILABLE TO TALK ON THE PHONE WHEN THE HOTEL STILL HAD HER NAME LISTED EVEN AFTER WE CALLED TRAVEL PLANNERS ON CONFERENCE TO SWITCH EVERYTHING OVER***

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 nights Tue - Mon

Hotel Review:

We did not use any of the dining options inside the hotel.  Right outside are several restaurant options.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Staff was awesome the entire trip.  Even the security guards trying to stop us from going into certain areas were friendly if you actually talked to them.

No

Did not use any of them.

Stayed at the Bayfront for a couple of years and actually thought this room was slightly larger.  We had 6 in the room and while it was pretty tight we made it work without too much issue.

Did uber from the airport so didn't have a car.

Directly across the street and with new policy of road being closed to traffic was a very quick trip back to the room to drop stuff off or take a quick break.

Never noticed any noise from parties or anything.  Granted I had earplugs in due to the number of people we had in the room.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes we used the WiFi when in the room.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?  Don't know, didn't register if they do.

I've been going to SDCC for 5 years now and have only randomly bumped into 1 or 2 celebrates prior to this year.  I can't even count the number of people we saw this year either in the lobby, the elevator, or even on our floor.  Actually bumped into were the entire cast of Arrow, Black Lightning, Overwatch Voice Actors, actors from new RZA movie, and several more that I didn't recognize but others said were somebody.  In the lobby for a brief second we got glimpses of the bigger named folks like Ryan Reynolds and Jason Mamoa making their way to parties.

Loved the Hard Rock and will definitely try and go back next year.

Sometimes was a pain trying to dig through all of your stuff to find your room key just to get into the hotel.  There were a couple of times we got seperated and had to wait for someone to come downstairs to get us into the hotel.  Got stuck a couple of times trying to cross the street waiting for a train to pass which seemed to take forever with a million people all crammed into that corner waiting.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:17 AM »
So I've made a few reviews for the Bayfront for prior stays. I'll just comment briefly on things I've covered before. Just things were seemingly more hectic this year that affected some things.

Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: (2 full sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: I think it's been 2013-2018

Hotel Review:

The hotel is, as always, outstanding. The proximity is our main reason for staying every year, the ability to just pop up to your room to take a nap in minutes or drop things off is a huge relief. We camp at least once every year, so being able to be close for camping is insanely beneficial.

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).
Fox Sports Grill (I think that's the name), typical Grill/American fair, but always a reliable food option. There's a bar and hotel restaurant. I've never had drinks at the Vela, but instead only at the pool but I imagine it's similar. The drinks are good and the staff are always great. I occasionally have breakfast at the restaurant, but have never stayed for lunch or dinner. Typical breakfast from what you'd expect and it's always good, but it's on the expensive side.
There's a Starbucks in the hotel as well as a froyo/parfait/smoothie/etc. location (Sweet Things I believe).

They were all very polite and courteous. We always enjoy the geeky shirts and costumes the staff wear. We've never had a negative experience with the attitude of any staff member.

Yes, we tend to do it after Hall H Saturday. It arrived very quickly after phoning it in on Saturday night and was exactly as anticipated (hot, delicious, and hit the spot.) Expensive, but that's what you pay to be able to sit in bed with a quesadilla on a tray lol.

There's a pool and I think a gym? There is definitely a spa but I've never used any of the above. Except the years we sit by the pool for a last drink before leaving.

No problem at all, we had room for a friend to crash with us last minute and her added luggage was no issue. There's a closet we never use that could be used for camping storage if ever needed. As always, the bathroom is nice with a lot of counter and storage space.

$25/night. Arrive early in the day if you want to find parking, else you'll circle around until someone leaves.

A few minutes, the main perk we want.

The noise level varies depending on your neighbors. We heard the pipes when our neighbors(probably?) showered, but that was about it. No noise from the other rooms or from the elevators. We were close to the elevators this year, so I was expecting to hear the ding from the elevators, but nothing. One year we heard someone playing a sax from the hall, but that was a bit odd/amusing if anything.

You need to be a HHonors member AND know your HHonors number. That's what grates on me mainly, because I have zero idea what my number is. Luckily, my friend who books the hotel in her name uses it for travel so often she knows it by heart. So she just taps in her info on everyone's devices as needed.

Yes, but it's not on my account. I believe my friend has a higher tier level, because she travels so much/books so many reservations for shoots. Either way, you only need the base level to get the perks like wifi and a free extra person.

A lot of celebrities stay, no doubt due to proximity. So you often can run into them on your floor if you're lucky.

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.
- Proximity
- Immediate food options
- Staff
- Close to the Gaslamp (just a skybridge over to the Gaslamp) but away from the craziness that is the Gaslamp
- Bathroom space (seriously, with four women it's great)
- They gave up free water bottles each day at the desk, if we wanted.
- There are always decent movies playing on TV, without having to pay for it. There's usually a ton of nerdy/comic book/etc. movies playing too, which is nice to curl up and watch after a crazy day.

Normally there's nothing, but this was the first year we weren't able to get a mini-refrigerator during the stay. I really wish they'd put in mini-fridges in each room instead of only keeping a set amount. I think it should be pretty standard in hotels now and they need to update that.

This year we had a brief issue with calling for more towels. I called initially, because we only had 3 towels for 4 people initially, but the connection hung up on me without warning after about 2 minutes of sitting on the line. I called back and then got a message that the staff were all answering other calls and they'd answer as soon as possible, after about 30 seconds. Not sure what happened with that first call. When I got through they said the towels would be up in just a bit. They never arrived, which we found odd, but we could live without more towels, though I can't imagine with people who don't know each other as well.

Though, I will say that we called another day and they sent the extra toilet paper up immediately, which was nice as that was actually needed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:02:45 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline kneque

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin San Diego

Type of Room: Triple Occupancy Deluxe Bay View Room with 2 Double-Sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 - Tue thru Sun

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? We didn't try any spots terribly close to the hotel. There is a bar inside, but we didn't try it.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Very polite and helpful. When they mistakenly charged me for parking they were very quick to remove the additional charges. No surprise charges at check-in or check-out either.

* Did you order room service? No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? We checked out the gym and pool out of curiosity. The pool is very small! There is a short view of the bay and a good amount of lounge chairs. The gym is small as well and I can't speak to anything I remember seeing in there besides treadmills.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? We had plenty of room to move around and store our luggage and swag, even with having 6-7 people in the room. We did have a deluxe room though, which is one of the larger double-bed rooms.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? We did not have a car, but did inquire about parking. Only parking available was valet at $49/night with in/out privileges.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We didn't use a trolley or shuttle though there is a shuttle route that picks up on Broadway. We had a 15-20 minute walk each way, which wasn't too bad at the start of the day, but as our days grew longer and the con went on the walk was exhausting and we tried our best to minimize the times we had to walk back.

* Are the walls of the room thin? What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No noise at all.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Our room had free WiFi. Not sure about WiFi in the lobby.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Not a member.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Not sure if it would be true of all the rooms, but our shower head was horrible. The water pressure was too low and so the water didn't come out evenly.

- very quiet since it's away from downtown action
- short walk to Spreckels for Conan tapings
- the airport shuttle was free and saved us some Lyft trips
- clean and spacious
- we had a mini-fridge!

- walk is too far
- a little pricey for how far it is from the convention center
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:31:20 PM by kneque »