Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 83979 times)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt (Seaport Tower)

Type of Room: 2 Bed. Be aware that a 2 Bed room here is two full, not two queen...so it probably won't work for 2 people per bed. They have two queens but you have to request them and they are extra.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, there were a few restaurants (Brew30 and Sally's.) Sally's had a great bay view. Seaport Village is across the street and so is the Headquarters, a mini outdoor-style mall. Both have many restaurants and some souvenir shops.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? They were very polite and courteous. I had read reviews in the past saying that they hate SDCC, but that was not evident at all during my visit. They were very efficient yet took their time to make sure all my questions were properly answered. Also, no problems checking bags for the day on Sunday. My roommate called them to pick up the bags from the room to check and they gladly obliged. 

* Did you order room service? No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I didn't. I think they have a gym and a few pools, though one of the pools was closed.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Honestly, the room was a bit smaller than I would have thought given that Hyatt Grand is a 4-5 star brand. I guess the beds being smaller helped with extra space. For 2 people, we were fine. A regular room probably would have been too crowded for more than that.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I didn't, but they said that parking per night was $35/self or $49/valet.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? None since MGH is technically at the very end of the convention. But to the actual convention center, it was about 10 minutes to the Hall A side.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Didn't notice anything.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, I'm a Discoverist (the next step above free membership) and we get to take the water in the room at no charge (otherwise it's $5 per 16 oz bottle) and late checkout upon request. (2 PM vs. 11 AM, though since I was going to be at the convention before 11 and get back after 2 I didn't request it.)

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Rooms have a refrigerator. It's not exactly in the Gaslamp, though that could be a pro or con depending on what level of excitement you want. It's more connected to Seaport Village, which is more sleepy and touristy.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?

- some parts of the convention (fulfillment room, blood drive, volunteer t-shirt pickup) were in the hotel
- I was on floor 30; elevators were quick and view was incredible
- good restaurants across the street
- housekeeping was consistent
- relaxing location; ideal hotel for being as close to the convention center without being hectic

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?

- not really that close to grocery or convenience stores
- room and beds are smaller than you'd expect from a hotel of this grade
- pricey, although I guess that's most downtown hotels
- no radio in room, and music on demand on the tv costs extra
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:26:35 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Forge

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
Name of Hotel:  Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: King

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2017, 2019

Hotel Review:
TLDR: MGH is great but Harbor > Seaport

This is the 2nd year I stayed here, and there are a ton of MGH reviews, but I felt like posting this because I was in Seaport tower this time, vs. Harbor tower last time, and I thought the experience was WAY different, so I'm pitting the two towers against each other in an MGH tower rumble!  Or tale of the tape, or whatever.  I'm still in SDCC recovery mode...  This will probably be less rumble and more boring comparison between the two towers and what stood out to me...  anyway I thought some people might want to know the difference between the towers.

Disclaimer: I've stayed in 1 room in each tower, so I can't speak to every king room is the same as what I describe below in each tower.

Both rooms were similar size overall, the layouts were similar in the main part of the rooms, both rooms I stayed in were clean, the staff was friendly, amenities were similar, etc.  So the core of the rooms was basically the same I guess, so what was different?

The first big thing to me was the Harbor tower room had a walk-in shower with glass sides/door, which I personally prefer, vs. the Seaport tub/shower combo with a shower curtain.  The Harbor bathroom was also slightly smaller, which isn't a knock, because the Seaport bathroom had so much empty space, having the smaller bathroom made the living area of the Harbor room feel bigger.  The layout of the Harbor bathroom seemed more efficient too, like it was more "thought out" vs. "we've got so much space let's just throw stuff in here".

Next is the furniture in the rooms, both had mini fridges, they both have typical nightstands/dressers/desk, etc., but Seaport had a couch/bench by the window, whereas the Harbor room had a small round table with some chairs away from the window, almost like a mini dining table.  Not only did it make the view seem more wide open because it didn't block the window, it made it easier to eat, use laptop,etc.  The couch/bench was comfy, but not practical.  I personally preferred the table/chairs in harbor, but if you just wanted to sit and look out the window then the Seaport bench wins.

The views in both rooms was great, I was on the 10th floor in Seaport this year, last time I think i was also on the 10th floor in Harbor.  I had a really nice view of Coronado & the bay this time around, I had a view of the convention center from my Harbor room.

The thing that stood out to me most though, and this is obviously subjective, is that the Seaport tower room felt further away than the Harbor room.  Yes, physically the Seaport tower IS further from the convention center, but that's not what I mean here.  When I say it feels further I mean that I didn't feel like I was downtown.  When I stayed in Harbor (maybe because I had a view of the convention center) I felt like I was downtown, still within the "boundaries" of "SDCC after dark", in Seaport I could have been in Mission Valley, it felt so much further away.  I think one of the reasons for that is the activity on the way to the elevator is higher when you're walking past the bar, or when you see people walking through for the blood drive, or whatever.  Seaport tower doesn't have as much activity so it feels further away.  Also when the bar in Harbor wasn't under renovation, it was a gathering spot that felt like you were in the middle of the Gaslamp at times, the Brew 30 place didn't seem as wide open to me.  I also saw several "famous" people in Harbor either in the elevator, at the bar, or on the way to the elevators, I didn't see a single one this year in Seaport.

Obviously feeling further away while still being fairly close can be the best of both worlds - you're downtown and pretty close to the con, but not in the middle of the hubbub when you want to wind down.  If you like the feeling that you're surrounded by SDCC the whole time you're there (like me) then you'll miss out on that in Seaport tower.  Granted Harbor tower doesn't exactly have that the way Marriott Gaslamp (my go-to if i can get it) does, but when I had the view of the convention center from Harbor it was fine.  Harbor compared to Seaport tower I might as well have been at the Marriott, it felt that much closer.  I'd stay in either room again, but next time I'm at MGH I'll ask for Harbor tower.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 03:31:54 AM »

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel: HILTON GASLAMP

Type of Room: 1 king bed, had enough room for a queen size air mattress

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? New Leaf restaurant inside. Slow service and only a limited con related menu. Lots of stuff around since you’re right there in gaslamp

* How was the hotel staff? Staff was amazing and very friendly.

* Did you order room service? No. menu was also the same as downstairs restaurant

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?  Didn’t use either, seemed like the pool was rarely used by anyone during the con that we saw.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  When the air mattress was down no, but that’s kind of expected. It wasn’t huge by any means but enough to do what we needed, store our stuff and sleep.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? $50 a night valet only. Unlimited access and you could text your valet ticket and have the car waiting for you

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? 5 mins depending on crosswalk traffic. You cross the street right by Hall D

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Gaslamp when busy was really loud. Never heard neighboring rooms and they didn’t seem to hear us or care. Fandom party at Hard Rock was easy to hear since our room looked right at it. No problems sleeping at night even with parties.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes, or at least we did

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes but pretty much a noob level. Actually forgot I was until this reservation was made.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?  No celebrity sightings at the hotel we saw. The location is incredibly convenient to the CC and we could walk everywhere really easily. There was a private publishers event might have been Graphix on the terrace one night. Had open bar and taco bar. Nobody said anything to us as we ate and drank and enjoyed the night lol

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel?  Location location location. Incredibly friendly staff and convenient for all con needs. Room came with a fridge and a large tv that was pretty much never used. Easy access to gaslamp and cc with different exits.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Only thing negative was the restaurant on site being really slow even when not busy and not a huge deal but overall room size but that was due to three people in a room for 2. No other complaints. We loved the stay. We didn’t need a luxurious spa bathroom or anything. We’re simple like that
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:50:56 AM by TossedSalad »
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis & Marina

Type of Room: King Bed (with sofabed)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 7

Year(s) You Stayed There: Too many to count! >5 times since 2008

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
  Roys (fancy), Marina Kitchen (casual, slow service on Tuesday and Wednesday, but sped up during the con), The Exchange (counter service, good food), Starbucks

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, although I got special treatment from the front desk for having frequent guest status

* Did you order room service? No. However hotel guests can order from The Exchange and have it ready for pickup when they get down from their rooms.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? Spa is small and not as nice as the ones at the Hilton Bayfront or MGH. Pool is huge and gorgeous.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Room is nice and big, good for up to 4 people. Bathroom is split, with the sink outside of the toilet/shower room. This makers getting ready in the morning (for multiple people) easier.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Parking was supposed to be $35 per night self-park, but my bookending stays were AAA rate with free parking, so they comped my parking for the entire stay. Valet parking is also available.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? 1 minute from the edge of the hotel to the front door of the convention  center, but closer to 10 minutes to get to the Hall H lawn.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No noise.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes. As gold elite, I got an upgraded room (North Tower instead of South Tower), dedicated check-in line and faster/enhanced wifi, plus extra points in the program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Many con programs/offsites take place at this hotel, so it is convenient for those.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? I love the location, the larger rooms, and having fridges in the rooms.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:36:01 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2019, 08:28:25 AM »

Name of Hotel:

Hard Rock

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
1 King Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

(Here are some questions to get you started as you think about your hotel stay during Comic-Con.  Again, you can answer all or some of these questions to help you write your hotel feedback comments.)

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).

Nobu which was reserved out way in advanced and Maryjanes.  There's a lot of other options nearby
* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?

Polite but very disorganized.  I had to call three times to get my confirmation and even though I told them the name of the other person, they still had to call me in the middle of the night to confirm, when he arrived. 

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?

Business center with free printing.  VERY convenient for all the barcodes you need to print.  However, they use IE which does not work well with the portal. 

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

We asked for a room facing the convention center and slept fairly comfortably.  The room was a bit tiny and the bed frame sticks out so you trip on it. 

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

Quite short.  It's just across the street. 

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

Again, we purposely picked the con facing room to avoid the noise from the parties. 

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)

Yes.  10mbps for 4 devices in room

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Yes but not many perks if any. 

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

We could watch the entrance and exits from our room so on Saturday night, we saw people coming in for the EW party and on Sunday, we could see the VIPs getting into their SUVs

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

Celeb sightings were plentiful and it was a great location. 

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

The room was small and a bit rundown for the price.  The toilet had problems and took forever to flush sometimes and they skimped on the toiletries.  The staff were polite but disorganized.  They didn't give my brother the right key so he had problems getting in.  And they had to call me to confirm that he was a guest in my room. 

It wasn't a totally uncomfortable experience but for the money, I'd expect something a little nicer. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:15:48 AM by rabbitwarren »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis & Marina

Type of Room: 2 rooms w/ 2 doubles (balcony w/ Bay view)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Year(s) You Stayed There: 3

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Yes: Roy's (always good), Marina Kitchen Restaurant & Bar (GREAT buffet; awesome omelettes and good service throughout the day), Exchange (decent food), and of course, Starbucks (efficient)

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes. No complaints at all.

Did you order room service? No. But the option is available.

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? No on the Spa; yes on the gym (very good gym). I heard the spa is fine yet the outside pool area is beautiful. Very good place to sit and relax.   

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Yes: both rooms were decent in size and quiet; bathroom is fine. My rooms had fridges.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Okay in price but not cheap either-valet is available; self parking is available, too.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Walked-barely 3 minutes from the front of the hotel to the front door of the convention center. However, the walk to the EE/Hall H lines or Hall H itself is longer. I would say 8-10 minutes.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Nope-no noise.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes-dedicated check-in line, free/better WiFi and the usual more points you get with your stay, etc.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Right next door to the Dragon Ball Super exhibit; home for the Nintendo lounge. Easy access to the volunteer check-in area and SDCC merchandise store, too. 

What did you like about staying at this hotel? The location is great, the rooms are awesome, and the hotel itself (overall) is spectacular.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:58:18 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
My TripAdvisor review for  Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Name of Hotel: Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018

Hotel Review:
I've always wanted to say at one of the hotels on Shelter Island. So when I found out that I got this hotel during the SDCC Hotelpocalypse, I was ecstatic. We were here for almost a week and it wasn't just one of the best hotels I've stayed in, but definitely the best hotel I've stayed at in San Diego not just because of the location, but also the service.
My friend and I had been looking forward to SDCC practically all year so we were ready to start the trip down to San Diego as soon as possible. I think the check-in time was at 4PM. We called the previous day and asked if we could check-in early and we were told yes and that they would put in a request. It was about an 8 hour drive, but we made it to the hotel around 7AM (7/17/18). We got to the front desk and was greeted by Joe. I think that was his name. He was a middle aged Mexican guy. Anyways, our request to check-in early was approved and our room was ready to go. So thankfully we didn’t have to wait 9 hours to check in. I did my research ahead of time, so if you plan on staying at this hotel or any hotel on Shelter Island, be sure to tell them that you don’t need the parking pass because they won’t inform you that they’ve added it to the bill. Free parking is right across the street.
The location of our room was nice. Not the best one they offered, but it definitely had a view of the marina. It was actually nice to not have to deal with hotel hallways for once. You step out the door and you’re already outside. No long hallways or elevators to deal with. The Queen Room was actually pretty spacious compared to some of the more expensive hotels I’ve stayed at in San Diego. Our room attendant, Maria, catered to us whenever we needed the room cleaned or refills for shampoo, towels, etc.
The swimming pool was about a minutes walk away. You actually get to enjoy the view of the marina on the way there depending on your route. We actually hit that pool up and hot tub at least once a day. It was never crowded till the last night we were there, which was a Saturday. The open hours were a bit odd. We were told it was open for use 24/7, but they had a sign saying it was open from 10AM(?) to 11PM. Towels were always stocked, except for that Saturday night.
Theres actually a restaurant (Blue Wave Bar & Grill) connected to the pool. We didn’t actually eat there, but on the way to the pool once, we were told they would send someone out there if we needed anything. Some girl, probably early 20s, immediately came by and took our order. She dropped off our drinks a bit after, but she never came back to see if we wanted anything else. A bit disappointed because we wanted more drinks, but ended up leaving. On the next day, no one showed up take orders. I asked the maintenance guy if he could get someone out there and he said he would. More than 15-20 mins came by and still no one showed up. I didn’t want to do it, but I had no choice, so I went into the lobby soaking wet to see if we could get someone out there to take orders not just for us, but for anyone else that was out there as well. So a bit after that, Jarvis shows up to take our orders. Another 15 mins had pass and still no drinks. The place didn’t look busy when I went in there. Now, we’ve been here for almost an hour now and we were just going to leave since our drinks never showed up… and of course, they finally did. The next day at the pool, Jarvis was just spot on. He must’ve seen us out there because he came straight to us when we arrived to see if we wanted anything. He took a couple of our orders that day, made some suggestions and also had a quick chat with him. Great guy, give him a raise/promotion for taking that initiative.
The hotel is located close to a lot of places and what is great about that is that theres really no traffic to deal with. Great views all around the area. Theres actually a small little beach across the street, which should pass for the kids, but if you want the real strong waves, then any of the two beaches are just about a 20 minutes drive away. I prefer the beach at MB, but OB offers better places to eat and also has the boardwalk that everyone should walk down. Theres also Coronado beach, which is about 30 mins away depending on the traffic downtown. Right off the island are great places to eat. Places like Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern, Alredo’s Pizzeria, Tony’s Fresh Mexican Food. Nearby, there is a Ralphs grocery store that is open 24 hours, but they don’t make fresh pizza like the one downtown does.
All in all, it was great staying at this hotel. I would definitely like to stay at this hotel again during next year’s SDCC or just for vacationing. It was everything and more than I had hoped for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My TripAdvisor review for Kona Kai Resort Spa and Marina:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Name of Hotel: Kona Kai Resort Spa and Marina

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 nights

Hotel Review:
AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COST!
From the moment I got there, this place has been frustrating ever since I got home. Yes, I've already checked out and currently at home and still getting irritated from them as I look at my bank account. I'll try to keep my thoughts organized.
First, I'll just start with the positives. Its a nice looking hotel with great views from rooms and pathways around the resort. Parking was free for Comic Con attendees. All the staff members were "being" friendly. The cleaning maids however, well, they assume that because someone doesn't look like they speak Spanish means that they can talk trash when you walk away. The hallway carries sound. All the rooms are attached to outside hallways. Our room view was facing the parking lot, but we still had view of the bay. We've seen multiple cars run over the crossing gates, mostly because they couldn't figure out how to open the gate or think that they are fast enough to get past after the car in front of them went through. The sticker on exit gate is actually upside down. This caused alot of issues for guests.
Our room was the typical size room with 2 beds. There was trash under the bed when we got there. The bathroom door is a sliding door that doesn't close all the way nor have any latch/lock to keep someone from sliding the door open when the bathroom is in use. One of the beds is in the way of the balcony door. The balcony was a decent size. Bottom floor balcony/verandas don't have rails so you can just walk straight into your room, so keep that in mind when choosing a level for your room. All the rooms have a snack tray and fridge filled with drinks. I would recommend requesting the receptionist to have all those removed. We made a request to have all that removed and for more bedsheets after we checked in. No one came for several hours, so we had to directly talk to the maids to get them removed.
One of my roommates left our bag of food outside the door and after a few minutes, it was already picked up by the hotel staff. I mentioned this to Joanna during one of my many visits to the reception desk and she gave me credit to use at their Vessel Restaurant. So that was nice of her to do. She also made a recommendation, which I ended up trying. When I went to the restaurant, I had to make sure that there was credit for my room. They said there was, but it wasn't applied when we checked out.... hmmmmm... we got that fixed though. The price of food was high as expected, but the portions were so ridiculously small. I'll leave that for a separate review.
Back to the maids a bit, they told us if we had any dirty towels or trash, just to leave it outside the door, which we did. It took pretty much all day for any of it to get picked up, which I found ridiculous because they picked up our food within minutes. Their cleaning station/supply was right next to our room so there really was no reason for trash to be out there that long.
Our room had no cell service. We had to either go outside the room or across the parking lot to receive anything. Something, hold your phone over the balcony rail will help. Also, while down there, my cell service assumed I was in Mexico. Make sure your data roaming is off.
Ok, so for the entire reason why this hotel is getting 1 (should be negative 5) instead of 3 or 4 was because of a charge for our stay. When we checked in and a debit/credit card was requested, I was not informed of how much was being charged/held. Every hotel/resort I've been to, puts a $100 hold on your card. Well, this place put a hold for 3 nights and fees, plus $100 insurance per night, totaling over $1400. We immediately asked if they could cancel that if we used a different card and they said yes. We replaced my card with my friend's card. For the first 3 days, the funds were still being held and during those 3 days, I went to the receptionist and manger (Moshe) multiple times. First day, they said it would take a couple hours... Nothing. Second day, my bank told me to tell them to send a fax to release the hold. Told the hotel multiple times and they said they did.... still nothing. Even got a copy of the fax which was missing information requested by my bank. Third say, same thing, nothing. Even requested to watch a video of them "supposedly" sending the fax. On the day we checked out, they said the funds would take 24 hours to release. Keep in mind, we added a card to replace mine so only now they are releasing the hold, which still hasn't happened. When we checked out.... BOTH CARDS EACH HAD THE $1400 HOLD.
Would I ever recommend this hotel/resort to anyone? No..... never..... go somewhere else. Even if this is the only option available to you, DO NOT STAY HERE. There are already negative reviews regarding this hotel that I read about like them extorting their guests for more money and other unknown charges. Do me, every past/future guest and every hotel a favor and avoid this location. I would've rather stayed at a hostel with bed bugs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:40:51 PM by Namron83 »

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »

Name of Hotel: Hotel Solamar

Type of Room:  1 King Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 nights

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes.

JSix restaurant which we didn't eat at.

The hotel was right next to Bubs which had great ballpark type food. Lots of tater tot dishes, wings, burgers, etc. It was VERY busy when we went, but service was good considering.

We also ate at Blind Burro which is also right across the street. Some of the best mexican food we've ever had. The Lengua tacos were spectacular and the wings were unique and fantastic. Definitely recommend this place.

For those not wanting a sit down meal, Panda Express and Subway were very close.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Staff was great! Checked up via text message. Never seemed bothered when I needed help.

* Did you order room service? No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? The hotel had a pool and gym. We used neither. Our room overlooked the pool and it did appear to be a nice spot to hang out if you had the time.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Room size was perfect. The bed was a little firm for my liking. There was loud music/videos playing during the Nerd Nite party on the pool deck. Didn't bother us at all, but be aware that if you are a light sleeper, you'll want a room that is not overlooking the pool/bar area.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Did not drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? About 6-8 minutes from hotel to convention center grounds.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We didn't hear any noise from adjacent rooms. As noted above, Nerd Nite party is hosted on the pool deck and could be bothersome to those that are sensitive to noise and have a room overlooking the pool.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes, but unsure if it was only free for rewards members.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes. Received free internet and choice of late checkout or raid the bar ($10 credit).

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Although we didn't desire to go to Nerd Nite, sounds like if you were a guest at the hotel then you could work your way into the party without waiting in line.

Close to convention center and really close to great restaurants, friendly and helpful staff, doggos roaming the lobby in costume. There was a free happy hour from 5-6pm and also noticed coffee/tea out in the mornings. I don't drink either, but certainly see the appeal for others. Their luggage check system was well organized and it was clear they were prepared for the influx of luggage coming their way Sunday morning.

I really can't think of anything I didn't like.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Courtyard Downtown

Type of Room: 1 King

Number of Nights You Stayed: 2

Hotel Review:

Inside, yes, but we never indulged. There were plenty of restaurants outside of the hotel.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes. Customer service was outstanding! We asked for a high up floor and they happily granted our request for no charge.

Did you order room service? Yes. We ordered two pizzas and they got the orders all mixed up, so we never trusted them again.

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They have all, but we didn’t take advantage.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Room and bathroom were a bit on the small side, but was adequate for two people.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? N/A

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? From the hotel to the convention center was about a 20 minute walk. We took the shuttle on Thursday morning and it ended up taking 45 minutes because of rush hour traffic. Never did that again. We were better off walking.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We didn’t hear a peep, so that was good.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, we have Marriott Rewards, but we didn’t take advantage since we were only there for two nights and weren’t actually in the hotel for very long.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Not much going on here. It seemed that the hotel was quite empty most of the time. 

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Customer service was outstanding and accommodating. When you leave and return, they say, “Welcome back!” Eateries were close and this hotel is ideal for events and partying as it’s on the fringe of the Gaslamp.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? The room was kind of old, which wasn’t a big deal, but the windows had chicken wire embedded in the glass, so it obstructed the view… and the view wasn’t that great. We were on the 12th floor, which was the second highest floor of the hotel, but all we saw were other buildings. If you stood on your toes, you could see the Spreckels theater in the distance behind other buildings. Also, there were homeless people panhandling, wandering about and congregating all over the place. Around the corner, there was a large group of guys shooting dice one night. That’s not something that I’d want to walk into while on vacation.

Name of Hotel: Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room:  Double Queen

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review:

Inside, yes, but we never indulged. The restaurant was quite crowded most of the time and appeared to have a lengthy wait time. The Tin Fish, Seasons 52 and Cheesecake Factory are only about a 10-15 minute walk away.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes. Customer service was outstanding! We asked for a high up floor and they gave us the 30th floor, which was the highest floor in the hotel… Of course, there was an additional charge for that.

Did you order room service? No.

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They have all, but again, we didn’t take advantage.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Rooms were quite spacious and the views from the 30th floor overlooking the marina, convention center and city were incredible!

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? N/A

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? N/A It was about a five minute walk to the con.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We didn’t hear much talking, but the slamming doors were quite loud and somewhat annoying.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes, but it was spotty and extremely slow.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? N/A

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? I saw Cress Williams from Black Lightning in the hall coming from the elevator to a make-up session. WB’s make up people were stationed on the 30th floor in a conference room. I also saw Christine Adams (from the same show) in the elevator and she was gracious enough to take a selfie with me. We also saw Donald Faison from Scrubs chatting it up with attendees. This was all on the first day!

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Location, location, location. Since I cosplay, it was paramount to not have to wait for and ride the shuttle or walk a great distance in-costume in the heat.

Customer service was also great. After the show, I asked for souvenir key cards and they happily gave me ALL of them! In addition, it was really nice seeing celebrities walking around and chatting with people.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Cell phone service, for whatever reason was atrocious, and their hotel Wi-Fi was slow and didn’t help. When in the elevator, we noticed that other people were complaining about poor cell reception.

Also, the toilet didn’t flush like it should and when we arrived, the bathroom was missing the shower curtain. We had to call management to have someone bring one up and it took about an hour. Hardly a deal-breaker, but still inconvenient. Everything else besides the cost was great.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:29:02 PM by sylent_asassin »

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
Name of Hotel: Humphrey's Half Moon Inn (Shelter Island)

Type of Room: Marina View Suite

Number of Nights You Stayed: 2 (pre-con)

The hotel has a restaurant, but we didn't eat at it. There are many restaurants close by though, many within walking distance. We ate at a sushi restaurant nearby (Umi Sushi - about .4 mile away), which was very good. We got amazing acai bowls nearby at Northside Shack (1/2 mile away). There is also a coffee & gelato shop very close (Portside Coffee and Gelato).

Fine, no issues.

* Did you order room service?

There is room service available but we didn't use this service.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?

There is an outdoor pool, which we enjoyed one night. There was also a ping pong table, hot tub, fitness center (didn't use), and putting green (didn't use). Lots of places to sit outside and relax, including spots that overlook the marina. Most (all?) rooms have a balcony or patio with chairs and a table.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

We were very comfortable - our room was large (sleeps 6 - I don't believe this room is available during the hotel lotteries though). We had a kitchen with stove, full-size refrigerator, etc., but I do believe all rooms have a microwave & a refrigerator of some size. The rooms had ceiling fans (in addition to the A/C), which helped to keep the rooms nice & cool.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?

Parking was $18 per night, which we used. Parking was a bit of a pain (we have a van and many stalls were on the smaller side), but it wasn't a deal-breaker for us.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

We didn't stay during the con, but I believe there is usually a shuttle stop at this hotel.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

We slept comfortably and weren't disturbed by outside noise or other guests. There was a concert the Saturday night before Comic-Con, but it was over by 10pm (and we didn't mind the music anyway).

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?

I don't know how it works if you book this hotel through OnPeak, but we had to pay $12 a day for their "Half Moon Pass" which gets you internet, plus some other amenities, such as 1-hour Bike Rentals for use on Shelter Island and use of the gym.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

No, but I do believe they have some kind of "Relax & Enjoy Rewards Club" which earns you points for stays. Not sure you get any other perks with it.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel or your room that isn't mentioned above?

We travel to San Diego early for SDCC and chose this hotel for the first 2 nights of our stay before our hotel lottery hotel reservation started on the Sunday before Comic-Con. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again. We had a marina view, which we loved.

Other notes:
  • The grounds of this hotel are nice and tropically landscaped.
  • With it being on Shelter Island, it's not close to the convention center. 
  • There are lots of bayfront walking paths and nice views of the downtown. 
  • It's an older hotel, but well maintained. 
  • Room doors open to the outside (no interior hotel hallways)
  • There are no elevators, so if mobility is an issue, you'll want to choose a bottom floor.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
Name of Hotel: Omni San Diego

Type of Room: 2 Beds "Premium View"

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 (July 17-22)

Hotel Review:

Yes but we didn't use

Yes

Nope

There were but we didn't use them.

Yes. Plenty of space for 4+ and our stuff (we didn't have huge cosplays though)

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Didn't drive. Valet cost appears to be $50 (I know because I got charged for this somehow even though we didn't have cars)

<5 min to/from the convention center. It's right there!

Seemed thick enough. However we had rooms facing the convention center and you could hear a little outside noise from trains and the popups below but it was never a big issue

Yes. Sign up for the loyalty program to get free wifi (this may or may not be needed to get the premium wifi)

Signed up to get wifi and such. Update: I did get credits but it took a while (initially it said 0)

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
The premium view room is not normally offered to attendee initially, but a huge block of them were dropped ~2-3 weeks before the convention from other sources, which is how I got the room

- close location to the convention center
- great view from your room

- on the more expensive side because of room type
- sliding doors on bathroom a little more open than usual, but you get used to it
- surprise valet charges. not sure why that happened to me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:21:34 PM by quantumslip »

Offline twiley79

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
Name of Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Type of Room: Two queen beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Year(s) You Stayed There:  2019

Hotel Review:

Yes but we didn't eat in the hotel

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Very polite and super helpful. Check in was 3:00 and they allowed us to check in at 9:00 am! The first room we were taken to by the bellhop had something being worked on so he got us a different room immediately and ran down and replaced our keys for us. Everyone was very friendly.

They had it but we didn't use it.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? Didn't use.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? The queen beds put it way ahead of some other downtown hotels for us. We had 4 adults. We had plenty of room for our luggage, you could fit in floor sleepers but it would be crowded. Bathroom had sink and mirror outside of toilet and shower area, very helpful.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Didn't use, dropped off my group and returned my rental car to the airport for the duration of the con. They let me leave my car in the valet area while checking in for free.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We could walk it in 15 minutes in the morning, it took longer at night because the sidewalks were busy. That was not a problem though, we stopped on 5th street every night to get dinner so walking past all the restaurants was a bonus. It was on the blue shuttle route, which I thought about using Saturday night after picking up a wristband, when I saw a shuttle pull up to the Convention Center. I asked how long it would be before they ran the route and they said 15 minutes, so I just walked it.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? I didn't hear anything and I am a super light sleeper so that was a huge bonus.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, just joined, no perks that I saw.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Yes, this hotel was farther out, but I was happy to get it (my backup plan was in Mission Valley). It was a cool older hotel which I liked.

Walking distance
Very quiet
Great customer service
Easy to find a place to eat in the evening
Right next to House of Blues (we had tickets for an event one night)
Empty fridge

It was a farther walk than some hotels
They didn't have the Comic Con key cards--my only disappointment.

I'd stay there again!

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 Nights (Tue - Mon)  Booked Wed - Sun through onpeak, Tue & Sun nights online

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019 & 2018

Hotel Review:

Yes.  Didn't take advantage of them but were themed with NBC shows.  Right around the corner is a subway and 7/11 to grab quick items.

Yes, extremely so.  Front desk, security, and house cleaning were all great.

No

We didn't use any of the amentities.  Room did have mini fridge but was packed with drinks/alcohol for purchase.  We emptied it all out into one of the dresser drawers so we could use the fridge. 

Room was tight but no more than other rooms we have stayed for SDCC.  We had a ton of bags which took up quite a bit of the space and were there for 6 nights so got pretty cramped.

Didn't drive. Did uber from airport.

One of my favorite things about Hard Rock.  As long as you don't get stuck waiting for train under 5 mins.  Several times was able to go back and forth from convention center to room in minutes to drop stuff off.  Even did so to change or use bathroom with Hall H bathroom passes.

Never noticed neighbors but room was definitely loud which we actually loved.  We were on 6th floor directly overlooking the pool and party area.  On Thursday we had a huge group up to the room and watched the fandom party from our room.  After around midnight each night never noticed any noise and rooms black out curtains was able to get rid of any ambient lighting from the parties.

Yes.

Signed up to get wifi and such.

We really wanted to get back to the hard rock again this year after having so much fun last year and it didn't disappoint.  We didn't spend any extra time celebrity looking in the lobby or elevators but it certainly happened organically.  We rode elevators with Benedict Cumberbach, half the cast of Eternals, Michonne, and the entire cast of What we Do in the Shadows.  On Friday and Sat is seems to be almost non stop seeing celebrities either in the lobby or in the elevators.  Because of the security you always have to have a hotel key to show security to get in the lobby which is a slight pain but not that big a deal.

- Close location to the convention center is #1
- Celebrity encounters
- Love the shower! Dual shower heads with the huge square rain one overhead.

- Bathroom door is sliding with frosted glass and no lock.  Which can get a little awkward with a bunch of people
- On Fri and Sat wait for elevator from your floor to 1st floor can get long as they fill up or are blocked off

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Sofia Hotel

Type of Room: 1 Bed, top floor

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 (July 16-22)

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2009, 2010, 2019

Hotel Review:

Yes - love their "Popcorn of the Day" and happy hour

Yes

No

There was a gym; and yoga offered twice a week.  I did not use them. 

The Sofia has small rooms but I find it perfect for one person. Would be cramped for more than two people.

Didn't drive.

Approximately 15-minute walk. 

Seemed thick enough, though I think I got lucky with solo travelers on either side of me (and residing on the top floor).

Yes.

I did not notice if they have a rewards program.  If they do, I was not informed about it. 

Initially, I didn't think I would get an upper floor when I requested it over the phone a few days prior to my travel.  However, when I checked in, they surprised me by honoring my request. 

- Fairly close location to the convention center
- I enjoyed the view from my room
- Great happy hour, delicious, affordable food (looove their popcorn flavors)
- I was early in checking in and it wasn't a problem.   
- Comfortable beds
- Maid service was excellent.  I still don't know what they do with the soaps that aren't all used up (which were replaced every day). 

- Ideally, I would prefer being closer to the convention center.
- Odd half-glass window for the shower but you get used to it.
- The rooms are pretty small but in my mind, it's typical of a "Boutique" hotel. 

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2019, 07:09:25 PM »
Name of Hotel: San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina

Type of Room: 1 King-Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel

There was an indoor and outdoor restaurant.  There was also a 'pantry' for taking out small items and a Starbucks, which was relocated from the escalators to the North tower.  That was very convenient for me, as that's where my room was.

Hotel staff was very nice and professional.  I was impressed considering ALL they had to deal with.

I didn't order room service

I saw a pool and gym, but I didn't take advantage of either

No problems sleeping.  The room size was comparable to other hotels

Since MMM is right next to the convention center, I didn't use the shuttle or trolley.  5 min walk to the convention center.  Most of the delay was due to security.

Noise level was fine

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?   (Yes or No)

Yes

I'm a member of the rewards program, but I don't remember the level.  If anything, it's the lowest level.  That was beneficial to confirming my reservation

My room had a small balcony, which had 2 chairs and a small table.  I had a view of the bay, the MGH, and part of downtown.  I got to see fireworks on Tuesday night.  I had my morning coffee from Starbucks there every day.  I loved it.

I liked that there were panels in this hotel.  They also played 1st run movies, of which I saw 2.  Captain Marvel (3rd time) and Shazam (1st time)

No Complaints.  I hope I get to stay there next year
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:51:27 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!