Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 64168 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2018, 06:28:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rami was fantastic, and the actor that played Brian May? I did a double-take when he first appeared. He looked so much like him! Only thing was that it made me miss Freddy all over again. We watch Queen MVs on a regular basis (on Friday nights, we drink sparkling wine and watch MVs - anyone remember Friday Night Videos?), and Freddy was just such a bright shining star on the stage.

I said the same thing about the Brian May actor.  Perfect casting.  And Rami is soooooo good, I hope the awards shows notice how good he is.  Loved this movie!

Tomorrow we see The Front Runner and Fantastic Beasts on Wednesday. 

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:26 AM »
to be honest, i wouldn't have enjoyed the movie Sacha wanted to make- and frankly Rami was perfect casting as freddy imho. I can see Sacha's vision but it's about a personality freddy- where the movie in theatres is about Queen.

Same here...I could honestly take it or leave it, but Rami is the reason I want to see it. Still haven't seen it though.

This weekend we skipped going to the movies and the weekend before we saw Beautiful Boy, which overall I enjoyed, but I not quite as much as I hoped. This coming weekend we'll be at DCon and Disneyland/DCA, so we'll probably skip the movies.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 03:49:25 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
if i do get to a movie soon i suspect it'll be overlord- despite the use of Hell's Bell's in the trailers.... /petpeeve/
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
Anyone see Crimes of Grindelwald yet? I saw it last night. I mostly enjoyed it. I just really love the universe expansion and there was a lot of that. There were some things I didn't like, and some things that i will withhold judgment on until I see how it plays out in future films.

Also, I really REALLY want a niffler.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
Anyone see Crimes of Grindelwald yet? I saw it last night. I mostly enjoyed it. I just really love the universe expansion and there was a lot of that. There were some things I didn't like, and some things that i will withhold judgment on until I see how it plays out in future films.

We saw it.  I really liked it, I'm just happy to have the HP universe still in my life.  My daughter was a bit more critical but I think she liked it, too.  I googled some stuff from the end of the movie when I got home.  It does seem like there are some timeline problems but I can live with that :)

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
We saw it.  I really liked it, I'm just happy to have the HP universe still in my life.  My daughter was a bit more critical but I think she liked it, too.  I googled some stuff from the end of the movie when I got home.  It does seem like there are some timeline problems but I can live with that :)
I know it's a spoiler thread but don't really want to spoil, so I'll just say I'm sure we will get an explanation regarding how that particular revelation is possible given the timeline. I'm more concerned with how a certain teacher was at Hogwarts in a flashback that probably took place in like 1915ish because that timeline definitely doesnt seem to fit with what we already know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
I know it's a spoiler thread but don't really want to spoil, so I'll just say I'm sure we will get an explanation regarding how that particular revelation is possible given the timeline. I'm more concerned with how a certain teacher was at Hogwarts in a flashback that probably took place in like 1915ish because that timeline definitely doesnt seem to fit with what we already know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes, that's definitely problematic.  Time-Turner maybe??

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »

Saw it earlier this week and thought it was an absolute mess.
So much exposition. Far too much in fact. Many times I found myself saying "how did we get here?"
Also, what the heck is the storyline between Queenie and Jacob? The two best characters in the first film reduced to... Well, I'm not quite sure.
Thankfully, Jude Law was very good.

I was reminded of The Hobbit films. The first one we all got excited because it was great and then by the third film it has lost its way and become a mess. Same with this franchise and we are only on the second film.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
Saw it earlier this week and thought it was an absolute mess.
So much exposition. Far too much in fact. Many times I found myself saying "how did we get here?"
Also, what the heck is the storyline between Queenie and Jacob? The two best characters in the first film reduced to... Well, I'm not quite sure.
Thankfully, Jude Law was very good.

I was reminded of The Hobbit films. The first one we all got excited because it was great and then by the third film it has lost its way and become a mess. Same with this franchise and we are only on the second film.

Yeah, Queenie/Jacob was part of the "things I didn't like." When they first show up at Newt's house, that scene was so problematic. And if Jacob was the wizard and did to a Muggle Queenie what Queenie did to him there would be outrage all over the place. I'm outraged on Jacob's behalf.

I have to wonder what this story would be like if it was written in novel form first and then adapted into films. I think it would be so much more cohesive. I have full faith that JKR mapped out all 5 films before writing the first (and I'll even say I believe that the main bones of the story were things she's had in her head for years, just not the specifics). But there is a reason that books aren't translated verbatim into movies. There is a reason that characters get cut and storylines get shortened or eliminated completely. And you can't write a movie as if you were writing a book. There were SO MANY characters and I couldn't even tell you half of their names, if they were even mentioned at all. But if this were a book I'm sure each one would have had 3 pages describing them in full.

But I still liked the movie. I think it definitely has issues (:cough:lovetriangles:cough:),and when all is said and done it might end up being the weakest film of the 5. But I still enjoyed myself. Jude Law is definitely a great addition to the franchise and was probably the brightest part of the film for me. Well, along with the nifflers. As long as these movies have nifflers, I will watch them all.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »
Yeah, Queenie/Jacob was part of the "things I didn't like." When they first show up at Newt's house, that scene was so problematic. And if Jacob was the wizard and did to a Muggle Queenie what Queenie did to him there would be outrage all over the place. I'm outraged on Jacob's behalf.

I have to wonder what this story would be like if it was written in novel form first and then adapted into films. I think it would be so much more cohesive. I have full faith that JKR mapped out all 5 films before writing the first (and I'll even say I believe that the main bones of the story were things she's had in her head for years, just not the specifics). But there is a reason that books aren't translated verbatim into movies. There is a reason that characters get cut and storylines get shortened or eliminated completely. And you can't write a movie as if you were writing a book. There were SO MANY characters and I couldn't even tell you half of their names, if they were even mentioned at all. But if this were a book I'm sure each one would have had 3 pages describing them in full.

But I still liked the movie. I think it definitely has issues (:cough:lovetriangles:cough:),and when all is said and done it might end up being the weakest film of the 5. But I still enjoyed myself. Jude Law is definitely a great addition to the franchise and was probably the brightest part of the film for me. Well, along with the nifflers. As long as these movies have nifflers, I will watch them all.
I noticed it was written only by Rowling. No screenwriter or script editor. So basically what ever she wrote went into the film.
Every film/TV show/book/written article needs an editor. It needs a second set of eyes that are not close to the project to remove bits that don't work. That are needlessly in there.
Herein lies the problem with FB2, it was all a bunch of yes people around JK. Nobody dare tell her that a lot of it is a mess. Sadly, I don't see WB getting someone in to do that as JK makes them $$$$$$.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
I'll echo some of the sentiments here. The movie was a hot mess. I found it fairly hard to follow, and I'm usually one of those guys who don't understand how others have difficulty finding some other movies confusing. The plotholes mentioned above were minor compared to the issues with pacing. My biggest problem is, this movie had no real payoff. Even though the Harry Potter movies was one big saga, every movie had its own natural beginning and end. This movie felt like it was just about to get to the good parts, and then it ended.Even Deathly Hallows Part 1 had a better ending. Every single character, even Newt himself, felt short-changed and under-utilized, which is actually quite remarkable.

I was skeptical of the first Fantastic Beasts movie and ended up loving it. I came into this with higher hopes and was utterly disappointed.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
As we were leaving FB2 we decided it is a "set up" movie and that the next ones will build on it and be great.  Fingers crossed!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
I saw The Favourite this past weekend.  It is great fun!  Nice to see a female led film, too :)  Next on my list is Widows.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
I found Widows well-made but somewhat disappointing. Interested to see what you think after you've seen it.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
I said a few words (Well, about 15 mins worth) about my favourite films of the year: