Author Topic: Conan 2019  (Read 40807 times)

Offline Miterin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 65
Re: Conan 2019
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
Does Coco house have an age limit? Could my 19 yr old go?

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »
Pretty sure it’s 21 and up only

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 12:33:30 AM »

Offline TheRaven00

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pretty sure it’s 21 and up only
Saw some young kids (10?) at the 2pm show.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #348 on: July 18, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »
Does Coco house have an age limit? Could my 19 yr old go?

I thought it did since it's a bar but it doesn't.  They just won't serve you unless you show ID to get the alcohol wristband.  They had what looked like a 10 year old up on the stage during the first show.

[member=1]alyssa[/member], I think you were about 5 people in front of me in line.  Was that you?  Were you wearing a Black Spire hat?

The 345pm non-ticketed show received a Team Coco swag bag with a random pop (Woody and Iron Man were seen).

Let me guess, you left early.  You missed the announcement at the end.

That swag bag was better than the other Conan events including the taping.  It had sunglasses and what people thought was a protein bar.  It's not a protein bar.  Read the label.  It's a USB battery charger.

Wow they gave you 5 pops? Awesome. I didn’t get any tickets for coco house

Everyone got a pop in a swag bag.  Unlike the regular Conan events, they handed this out about half way through and not at the end.  Many people left after getting their swagbag since it wasn't really a show.  The show portion was only like 5 minutes.  It was basically a happy hour.  The people that left early got faked out.  At the very end, they announced that anyone with AT&T phone service would get the set of 4 pops.  Show them "AT&T" on your phone, they gave you a case of pops.

This sounds amazing!! I expect it’ll become more and more packed each day as people catch-on!

People have already caught on.  A lot of people walked up to us outside after a later show and said "I heard they gave out all 4 pops at the power hour."  I spent all day at Coco House today.  It got to the point that no one asked us for our tickets anymore.  They just waved us in.  I expect the power hour line to be massive in the next couple of days.  I expected it to be massive today.  I was shocked it wasn't.  It was short if anything.  We weren't going to go until we saw how short the line was.  It was shorter than where we were in the priority ticket line.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:57:50 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #349 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
Saw some young kids (10?) at the 2pm show.

Ah ok, my bad. I thought since they were checking ID it was 21.

Yeah I thought it would be packed so I didn’t try for the power hour.

Offline newbie12

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #350 on: July 19, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Have Jon Snow pop
Want Pennywise pop
Please PM if interested

Offline TheRaven00

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »
Ah ok, my bad. I thought since they were checking ID it was 21.

Yeah I thought it would be packed so I didn’t try for the power hour.
Today they announced they're going to require 16+

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #352 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Supposedly they also changed it to first 50 for a pop. Also the schedule for today was all kinds of messed up. The website says Trivia is at 4:00 but it's at 3:30 and the Power Hour at 6:00 but it's at 5:30.

Also hearing lots of over promising and under delivering (Midnight Coco they said there would be exclusive swag and a Conan appearance that didn't happen).

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
What the difference a day makes.  Yesterday Coco house was chill, cool, relaxed and fun.  Today, in the words of someone behind me in the pop fish in a barrel mob, it was a "poopshow".  She didn't say poop.  The lines were massive.  There was a lot of line cutting.  They moved the line from one side of the building to the other side to across the street.  As with any unsupervised line move, people took that opportunity to line cut.  After the move we were at least twice as far back as we were before the move.  At power hour today, only the first people got the swag bag.  AT&T phone holders only got one pop.  Instead of handing them out on exit as normal, the caused a mass mob into the little submerged area.  Yesterday they barely looked at your phone.  Today they scrutinized it like a tech.  More than a few people got sent away for trying to cheat using screenshots of other people's phones.

The worst part is that I didn't even get a chance to get a drink.  I barely got a plate of food.  Then the pop mob started and I moved to the back to eat.  I got in line and a couple of minutes later they said the bar was closed and to leave.

Yesterday everyone was chill and having a good time.  Today it was drudgery.  Not many smiles from attendees or staff.

Offline calpolo17

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:16 PM »
Funko Pops (mostly their resellers) have the unfortunate effect of ruining a good thing. My wife was early in line early for Power Hour and also said the line cutters were terrible.  Team Coco staff weren't helpful in maintaining order, and she even overheard "Its Comic-con...people cut".

She luckily got in...gave the first bartender a fiver tip, and never had an empty glass though.

What the difference a day makes.  Yesterday Coco house was chill, cool, relaxed and fun.  Today, in the words of someone behind me in the pop fish in a barrel mob, it was a "poopshow".  She didn't say poop.  The lines were massive.  There was a lot of line cutting.  They moved the line from one side of the building to the other side to across the street.  As with any unsupervised line move, people took that opportunity to line cut.  After the move we were at least twice as far back as we were before the move.  At power hour today, only the first people got the swag bag.  AT&T phone holders only got one pop.  Instead of handing them out on exit as normal, the caused a mass mob into the little submerged area.  Yesterday they barely looked at your phone.  Today they scrutinized it like a tech.  More than a few people got sent away for trying to cheat using screenshots of other people's phones.

The worst part is that I didn't even get a chance to get a drink.  I barely got a plate of food.  Then the pop mob started and I moved to the back to eat.  I got in line and a couple of minutes later they said the bar was closed and to leave.

Yesterday everyone was chill and having a good time.  Today it was drudgery.  Not many smiles from attendees or staff.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »
Funko Pops (mostly their resellers) have the unfortunate effect of ruining a good thing. My wife was early in line early for Power Hour and also said the line cutters were terrible.  Team Coco staff weren't helpful in maintaining order, and she even overheard "Its Comic-con...people cut".

She luckily got in...gave the first bartender a fiver tip, and never had an empty glass though.

I heard her say the same.  Team Coco wasn't just not helpful, they were absent.  Which is completely the opposite of yesterday.  Yesterday they walked up and down the line making sure everyone was in the right line and answered questions.  Today, few were to be found.  They were only close to the front door and they only offered words of wisdom like "It's comic-con... people cut."  It's like they gave up and decided to hunker down in the safety of the bar.  Even inside the bar, they were completely different.  It's like invasion of the body snatchers.  People that were smiling, inviting and friendly yesterday were like guards tonight.  Yesterday, they told people that everyone would get pops but let's be cool about it.  Just like in school, they would dismiss us in sections so that it would be orderly.  It worked.  Everyone cooperated.  There was no rushing and pushing.  Tonight, the same guy said everyone go at the same time.  He did ask us to form an orderly line.  That didn't work.  It was a mob scene.  Especially since they gave pops out in an area down some steps with only those single set of steps to get in and out.  I don't know how that made any sense.  Also, because people just were in a mob, I'm sure some tried to double dip.

I know there is good reason for their change in attitude.  As I said, just in the few minutes where I had a view of the handout process, I saw 3 people get rejected.  I guess they were using a screenshot to pretend they had AT&T service or were trying to use someone else's phone and couldn't unlock it.  They made sure to lock my phone and asked me to unlock it.  The whole process wasn't very friendly.  It was like a TSA security check.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:53:09 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline cknguyen617

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »
My experiences were not as expected! Went as standby yesterday to the 730pm Triple header show. Saw SOME people leaving the 6pm power hour with one pop, some w a goodie bag. Im not sure how they were handing them out. A guy leaving said "everyone gets one" but many leaving had empty hands so I am guessing that guy was lucky. For the 730pm Triple Header show only the first 50 got pops... so dont bother with standby if you are trying for a pop. First 50 will be all ticketed. My friend had a ticket and no pop as she wasnt in the first 50. Regardless, I wanted to check out a show as I have never been, pop or not. The 3 comedians for very funny and it was a nice break and an hour of nonstop laughter. Went back for the Midnight @Cocos as we had no idea what it was... thought it was some raunchy late night comedy... Waited 1.5 hours as it was standby only. Let me say, what a total waste of time and complete let down. It was not a show, just late night bar time!! Most people waiting another 20-30 min and left. There was no show, it was literally a restaurant bar open until 2am. Zero swag, zero idea of what was going on. I wish they described things better. Only people who stayed were the drinkers. We took off and made it to catch the verg last shuttle back to hotel.

Seems like Thursday ruined it for everyone else. Also seems the experiemce is different from previous years as well.

Offline rsquared

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »
I have two tickets to the 4:30 coco house that I can’t use. Anyone?

Offline marcblau

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2019, 11:42:18 PM »
Everyone got the Woody Pop at the 10pm show (we had lined up for 2 1/2 hours just in case it was first 50)

Offline squidward

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 59
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
Have Woody and Pennywise
Want Iron Man
We fly out Monday morning