Author Topic: Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse thoughts  (Read 1579 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse thoughts
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
* Spoiler-free Thoughts *

Had the extreme pleasure of seeing this movie over the weekend, and this is easily my pic for Best Animated Film of 2018.  If you are fan of animation or media art, INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE has one of the coolest visual designs I've seen in awhile.  The film not only makes it feel like "comic book comes alive" (for example, and inner-monologue of characters often appears as comic thought-bubbles.  The visual style of the animated is off-the-hook: exciting, vibrant.  The visual style alone is enough to keep my engaged, and even if the film had other substantial character or story flaws, I think the animation style alone is compelling enough to see this in theaters.  I would be a little disappointed in myself if I missed seeing this on the big screen with excellent theater projection/presentation.  In fact, for maybe the first time ever I think this is a film that I want to revisit to see in 3-D: a format I generally loathe as most of the 3-D films are director after-thoughts, with his 2-D compositions being (often poorly) formatted for 3-D cash-grabs.  Marvel films are notoriously bad in 3-D, for an example.  But I suspect INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE looks especially cool in the 3-D format.

But the amazing visual style is NOT the only way this film excels

This film really succeeds because of its emotional core: Miles Morales struggling through adolescents & trying to find his place; Peter Parker's struggles in the 'real world.'  Even Kingpin has a legit, heartbreaking (sort of - heartbreaking from his perspective for sure, sympathetic at least to the audience) reason for doing what he's doing.  Watching this film with my almost-17 year old son, it was fascinating to observe how the INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE touched upon both of us emotionally.  As a dad I related a bit to adult-Parker's adult struggles as well as Miles' dad & Miles' struggles getting his parents to understand him.  I'm sure my son related to the Miles side of the story, and we both had the same emotional reaction at one or two of the more pivotal scenes that strike at the emotional center of the story.

The movie balances it's main Spidey characters really well.  The film wisely knows the focus is on Miles, Peter, and Gwen, but each of the other Spider...er...people/robots get sufficient attention.  SPIDER-VERSE is great at showing us how much fun Spider-ham & Spider-man Noir are without having them over-stay their welcome: after the film I think a lot of the audience will fell like they want to see MORE of everyone: not just the main characters, and not just the fun side characters.  MAJOR props to the creative team for that!

As a Spidey-fan, I didn't think this film would hold too many surprises but there were some great ones (that didn't leak, at least, before opening weekend).  I won't go into 'em here, but kudos to Sony for keeping things under wraps! 

This is a movie that even I didn't expect to love as much as I did.  I think the marketing for this movie hasn't come close to selling the emotional aspects of the film, and spends most of the time on the 'surface level' cool: the amazing visual style, the novelty of Spider-ham & Spider-man Noir, etc.  Like I said, I was interested on this film based on the visual style alone, but I didn't expect INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE the hit me on the emotional level it did: and not just for a scene or two, but extended throughout the entirety of the film.  I think if you're already of the mindset of "comic movies are cool; Spidey is really cool" then you will likely really enjoy this film.  I dunno if I would recommend BUMBLEBEE to everyone I know, but I would recommend SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE freely. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:59:05 AM by perc2100 »

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
Re: Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
I went to the theater on Thursday hoping to see 'The Mule' but the except for the front row, every other seat had already been reserved.  So I went to my backup plan to see into the Spider-verse.  Was I surprised and glad that I saw this show.

I'd gone to the panel during the SDCC for this movie, so I wasn't unaware.  I just hadn't been motivated before to watch this film.  I loved the story itself and how everything fit together.

Perc2100 has pretty much already covered all of the points that I found enjoyable in this film.  Great stuff! 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:01:24 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
One of my favorite films in a long time, especially as a comics fan.  For example, and I'm going to use the spoiler tag a bit but when
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
shows up it's
from
in the 80s.

Only caught a few of what must may be many more easter eggs. Like advertisements for a "From Dusk till Shaun" movie and a "Clone College" tv show. (That last one is particularly cruel.)

They even got Chris Pine to record 2 songs.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

See it in the theater if you get the chance, and make sure to stay for the end credits scene.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »
I went to the theater on Thursday hoping to see 'The Mule' but the except for the front row, every other seat had already been reserved.  So I went to my backup plan to see into the Spider-verse.  Was I surprised and glad that I saw this show.

I saw both the mule and spidy- spidy was way way better then the mule. the crowd at the mule did you a favor [member=2107]darkron9[/member] !

Into the Vers was like opening up a really really good thick graphic novel and being swept away by the illustrations & imagination. Good story telling is assumed.  ;)
I absolutely LOVED it and will even recommend it to my non superhero watching family.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
Saw it on News Years Day with my daughter and granddaughter and we loved it. Exceeded my expectations on both story and visual. I want to see it again, something I very rarely do.  I will also probably check it out in 3D next time.
Loved the Stan Lee cameo and the end credits.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
I saw the first 20 minutes or so of this movie during NYCC in October and hoped the rest of the movie would live up to what I saw - I was telling people to go see it so I was worried that the rest of it would be a letdown. I was really happy with it! The visuals were really engaging, and I enjoyed the storyline. It definitely had some of the snarky-ness of the Lego movie, but it had a lot of heart.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »
I agree with everything you said [member=380]perc2100[/member]! Well, except I did expect to love it as much as I did and was SOOO glad that it lived up to -- and exceeded -- my expectations. It also has my most favorite San Lee cameo ever, which I did tear up on. Into the Spider-Verse was in my top 3 movies of 2018....which I'm not sure I've ever had a movie like this (animated + superhero) in my top 3.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:46 AM »
I agree with everything you said [member=380]perc2100[/member]! Well, except I did expect to love it as much as I did and was SOOO glad that it lived up to -- and exceeded -- my expectations. It also has my most favorite San Lee cameo ever, which I did tear up on. Into the Spider-Verse was in my top 3 movies of 2018....which I'm not sure I've ever had a movie like this (animated + superhero) in my top 3.
Yeah, that Stan cameo both crushed and uplifted me.  It's by coincidental extension a beautiful tribute; I think my son and I (now 17) both teared up during that scene.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:37 AM »
I really thought this was the very best film of any genre that I watched in ‘18!  Would’ve gone for a second or even third viewing already if leisure time weren’t so scarce lately. 

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Just saw this with my family over the weekend and we all loved it! I'm not even sure how to explain the style of the movie but it absolutely worked with the story line. So many favorite parts in the movie but
This will definitely be a buy for me when the movie is released in Digital. My kids and I are kinda hooked on that song now with Swae and Post, "Sunflower".
Twitter feed: @mel641

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »
Yeah, that Stan cameo both crushed and uplifted me.  It's by coincidental extension a beautiful tribute; I think my son and I (now 17) both teared up during that scene.

I think that the Stan Lee cameo was extended.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
Loved this movie so much I also bought the dvd. Now watching it again will be for research lol.