Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127781 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #585 on: January 25, 2021, 01:21:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thx for the tip. I've got a non-forum friend who's looking for apptments for her parents,

Oops.  I meant vaccination sites instead of test sites.  The hot spots in San Diego are in the East and South County.  Right now the super station in Chula Vista has appts as soon as tomorrow.  As of last night the county run sites in Chula Vista and El Cajon also had open appts on multiple days as soon as tomorrow.  Either National City or Imperial Beach did too.

Are you saying volunteers will get inoculated?

I think volunteers would have to be.  They would be frontline medical workers at that point.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #586 on: January 25, 2021, 08:20:53 PM »
This study released last October by the American Society of Hematology says there is no evidence that having a specific blood type will determine the severity of Covid-19 symptoms, but it suggests people with Type O blood may be less likely to be infected with Covid-19 than people with Type A blood.  The study is peer-reviewed.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #587 on: Today at 12:25:50 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #587 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »
This study released last October by the American Society of Hematology says there is no evidence that having a specific blood type will determine the severity of Covid-19 symptoms, but it suggests people with Type O blood may be less likely to be infected with Covid-19 than people with Type A blood.  The study is peer-reviewed.

That study confirmed a Chinese study from last March.  Which has been the pattern during covid.  The Chinese publish a study.  We doubt the results.  We then conduct our own study that confirms it.

The variant news is bad today.  As with it being more contagious, we are now starting to be on board with the British that the UK variant is also more virulent.  It's easier to get and more deadly.  But that's not the worst of the variant news.  The current vaccines seem to be just as effective against the UK variant.  Not so with the South African variant.  Which is as expected since the SA variant has more changes than the UK one.  Moderna said today that they will develop a booster shot.  So the Moderna vaccine will be 3 jabs, up from 2.  Considering that that BioNTech vaccine is in essence the same, I expect that will need a booster too.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »
Petco closed again today due to storm damage.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »
Are you saying volunteers will get inoculated?

I think volunteers would have to be.  They would be frontline medical workers at that point.

i applied to be a non-jab or med volunteer.  i will see what type of response i get. i'm totally willing to put in a timeslot a week.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
CA announced yesterday that vaccination eligibility will now be strictly by age, and no longer by profession.  So 65-older now, likely 50-older next, etc.
You can read about it in the SD Union Tribune: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As detailed in the article,
The move comes as California still is struggling to get enough vaccine to meet demand. Last week, state officials said it could take until June to get vaccinations to all those 65 and older. Los Angeles County In Los Angeles County, 500,000 doses would be needed per week in order to vaccinate all adults by mid-summer, chief science officer Dr. Paul Simon said Friday...In Los Angeles County, 500,000 doses would be needed per week in order to vaccinate all adults by mid-summer, chief science officer Dr. Paul Simon said Friday.  But at the rate that current allocation is going, efforts would continue well into 2022.

Bad news: US vaccine dispersal is horrible.  The previous POTUS Administration had zero plan to get it out efficiently, we're woefully behind, and many of us could still be in a similar situation in a year waiting to get the vaccine.
Good news: Biden has seemingly put the right people in charge that _could_ turn this around and expedite the process.  While six months ago we were seemingly in a world of unknown for negative reasons, currently it feels like we're in an unknown of "_maybe_ things could improve now that experts are in charge.  Now that Biden has enacted the Defense Production Act, it's plausible vaccines can be producers and distributed more rapidly than the current pace.

I hate all of these unknowns, but such is our current life situation nowadays.  Current numbers don't seem like the path to plausibly believe Comic-Con in-person will happen, but Biden seems to be taking steps to give us a possibility that some sort of in-person/(likely) hybrid version _MIGHT_ occur. 
San Diego numbers are dropping, with lowest new case number in about a month yesterday.  We'll see deaths climb from the holiday peaks but it seems probably that San Diego has peaked and is stabilizing, if not dropping, in infection rates county-wide (with, of course, some zip codes being dangerously high still)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: January 26, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »
wow,
i'm sorry to hear that teachers & grocery store workers won't get priority.
i have to admit tho, verifying those people would be a logistical nightmare - in a perfect world it wouldn't but in this environment #sigh
looking at an id for a birth year is so much easier

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
CA announced yesterday that vaccination eligibility will now be strictly by age, and no longer by profession.  So 65-older now, likely 50-older next, etc.

IMO, that's the way it should have been from the start.  Vaccinate based on vulnerability.  Especially since many front line health care workers are refusing the vaccine.  A couple of weeks ago, the CEO of a hospital group said that half his front line workers were refusing to take the vaccine.

i'm sorry to hear that teachers & grocery store workers won't get priority.

It turns out teachers don't need it.  In a recent study, being in a well run school is substantially safer than being in the general population.  It's the ordered environment with mandatory mask wearing.  Grocery store workers, on the other hand, definitely do.  Grocery stores are probably one of the most dangerous places to be.  When the government released not just numbers, but where community outbreaks were happening, big box and grocery stores were up there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:13:47 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
IMO, that's the way it should have been from the start.  Vaccinate based on vulnerability.  Especially since many front line health care workers are refusing the vaccine.  A couple of weeks ago, the CEO of a hospital group said that half his front line workers were refusing to take the vaccine.

It turns out teachers don't need it.  In a recent study, being in a well run school is substantially safer than being in the general population.  It's the ordered environment with mandatory mask wearing.  Grocery store workers, on the other hand, definitely do.  Grocery stores are probably one of the most dangerous places to be.  When the government released not just numbers, but where community outbreaks were happening, big box and grocery stores were up there.
Ah, and therein lies the rub: a "well run school."  In my experience, my mom & pop-run martial arts studio is WAY more reliable as far as health standards than any school in the district I work for (FWIW I'm also a union leader so I know where A LOT of the skeletons are buried, so to speak; I also know it's incredibly easier to maintain high standards at a relatively tiny martial arts studio vs a 2,200+ student-populated HS).
That being said, I to pragmatically agree that the vaccine should indeed go to the most vulnerable first, which includes older folks who statistically have higher death rates than younger folks.  As a relatively healthy mid-40 year old, I'm OK with those more vulnerable than I getting dibs on a vaccine before me (just as I would celebrate if the government eliminated all student debt, even though all student debt in our family was just recently 100% paid off).

Of course, if we're going _that_ route, then the govt. REALLY needs to hit the low economic zip codes just as hard as retirement communities.  Of course, there needs to be a plethora of eduction for those folks, as our country has a myriad of incredibly awful history of the medical field doing unspeakably awful things to Native Americans and other POC (things such as forced sterilization, as one example).  I've read of the massive distrust in many of those communities that it may be incredibly difficult to convince large populations to trust in the vaccine; hopefully part of Biden's plan includes education about the vaccine to the masses.
But that's a whooooole other convo, I think  :-[

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Of course, if we're going _that_ route, then the govt. REALLY needs to hit the low economic zip codes just as hard as retirement communities.  Of course, there needs to be a plethora of eduction for those folks, as our country has a myriad of incredibly awful history of the medical field doing unspeakably awful things to Native Americans and other POC (things such as forced sterilization, as one example).  I've read of the massive distrust in many of those communities that it may be incredibly difficult to convince large populations to trust in the vaccine; hopefully part of Biden's plan includes education about the vaccine to the masses.
But that's a whooooole other convo, I think  :-[

Agreed.  Unfortunately that's going to be a tough problem to address especially with injections like a vaccine.  For centuries African Americans were used as unwitting test subjects including to test vaccines.  This wasn't just something that happened 200 years ago.  It went on in secret into the late 20th century.  And it only stopped then because it was exposed.  The distrust is justified.

The Biden administration said again today that they would address it.  Mobile vaccination and education are part of their plan in challenged neighborhoods.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »
You can read about it in the SD Union Tribune: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As detailed in the article,
Bad news: US vaccine dispersal is horrible.  The previous POTUS Administration had zero plan to get it out efficiently, we're woefully behind, and many of us could still be in a similar situation in a year waiting to get the vaccine.
Good news: Biden has seemingly put the right people in charge that _could_ turn this around and expedite the process.  While six months ago we were seemingly in a world of unknown for negative reasons, currently it feels like we're in an unknown of "_maybe_ things could improve now that experts are in charge.  Now that Biden has enacted the Defense Production Act, it's plausible vaccines can be producers and distributed more rapidly than the current pace.

I hate all of these unknowns, but such is our current life situation nowadays.  Current numbers don't seem like the path to plausibly believe Comic-Con in-person will happen, but Biden seems to be taking steps to give us a possibility that some sort of in-person/(likely) hybrid version _MIGHT_ occur. 
San Diego numbers are dropping, with lowest new case number in about a month yesterday.  We'll see deaths climb from the holiday peaks but it seems probably that San Diego has peaked and is stabilizing, if not dropping, in infection rates county-wide (with, of course, some zip codes being dangerously high still)
After re-reading that article, I may have (slightly) misspoken:
The modifications announced Monday by Gov. Gavin Newsom leave unchanged the current priority list, which focuses on healthcare workers and residents 65 and older before expanding to teachers, farmworkers and first responders.

But there will be shift in who gets the vaccine after them. Under the original plan’s tier structure, Tier 2 workers in manufacturing, transportation and commercial and residential settings along with incarcerated people and the homeless would be prioritized.
That seems to be:
1A: healthcare providers
1B Tier 1:
* currently: 65+, in addition to healthcare providers who've seemingly/mostly already gotten vaccinations
* next: teachers, farmworkers, 1st responders
1B-Tier 2:
* from here seemingly by age; maybe 50 or 55+?

Man, things are soooooo fluid right now!  It's challenging enough to stay on top of things constantly changing/evolving in my school job, let alone all this other government bureaucracy.  The CA pandemic stuff (which I have to stay at least moderately on-top of for my job, at least as it pertains to education and whatnot) has already changed several times just since the school year started in September (for us - two weeks later than we were supposed to start).  Some days my head reeeallly hurts thinking of all this stuff  (luckily in 90 minutes I'll likely be doing kickboxing, albeit virtually, so I can take at least some frustrations out there  :P 8) )

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:57 PM »
That study confirmed a Chinese study from last March.  Which has been the pattern during covid.  The Chinese publish a study.  We doubt the results.  We then conduct our own study that confirms it.

LOL!  I love the disclaimer at the end!

Disclaimer: Microsoft News is unable to verify the legitimacy of this study.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »
back to daily updates from the science team at the white house. starting tomorrow
biden announced today

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2021, 08:14:58 PM »
LOL!  I love the disclaimer at the end!

Disclaimer: Microsoft News is unable to verify the legitimacy of this study.

It's just another example of "Not Done Here" syndrome.  That article was written for an audience in Singapore.  An article about the same study written on the same day by an American for an American audience has no such disclaimer from MSN.  Both articles quote the same sources with the same quotes from the same researcher.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #599 on: January 27, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Ah, and therein lies the rub: a "well run school."  In my experience, my mom & pop-run martial arts studio is WAY more reliable as far as health standards than any school in the district I work for (FWIW I'm also a union leader so I know where A LOT of the skeletons are buried, so to speak; I also know it's incredibly easier to maintain high standards at a relatively tiny martial arts studio vs a 2,200+ student-populated HS).

I saw on the news this morning that some teachers are already getting vaccinated through their unions.  The unions arrange for it like employers did for their health care workers.