Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Open Registration  (Read 44197 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: SDCC 2020 Open Registration
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Right.  I was a season ticket holder for the San Diego Padres (sigh...don't judge), and they exclusively (and very conveniently) use Stub Hub as a means to resell tickets.  In fact, the standard MLB ticket policy (at least we were told it was standard MLB and not just a Padres policy), is ticket holders are allowed to sell half of their season's tickets via Stub Hub, regardless of resell value.  Some tickets I sold less than face value, some I sold for quite a bit more than face value.

CCI obviously has a strict no transfer policy, but 'scalping' of tickets isn't illegal in most states

[member=380]perc2100[/member] - I was just reading some interesting things about the fluctuating fees on StubHub.  What did you think of their fees from the seller’s POV?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2019, 03:47:33 PM »
Right.  I was a season ticket holder for the San Diego Padres (sigh...don't judge), and they exclusively (and very conveniently) use Stub Hub as a means to resell tickets.  In fact, the standard MLB ticket policy (at least we were told it was standard MLB and not just a Padres policy), is ticket holders are allowed to sell half of their season's tickets via Stub Hub, regardless of resell value.  Some tickets I sold less than face value, some I sold for quite a bit more than face value.

CCI obviously has a strict no transfer policy, but 'scalping' of tickets isn't illegal in most states

I know everyone is always frightened to death of being banned from SDCC, but has anyone ever known anyone who was banned?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 09:35:34 AM »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »
Late to the game cause I been so busy with work, but I ran sessions during Open Reg on Chrome and the "new" Edge (Edgemium?).  Only Chrome sessions got in, but none crapped out.  All worked fine until the end.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
I know everyone is always frightened to death of being banned from SDCC, but has anyone ever known anyone who was banned?
I've known a couple, actually:
* a Pro who was trying to be cool and sell his guest badge.  They posted on a FB group wall offering the 5-day guest badge for sale (it was a paid guest badge, and the Pro was just asking for the person to pay for the badge - meaning, "hey, I have a guest badge to whomever wants to claim it/pay for it themselves").  CCI caught wind, canceled both their badge and the guest badge, and banned them for a couple of years.
* a Pro who got caught trying to sell a comp. guest badge.  He was banned permanently, and his company had to smooth it out w/CCI as CCI was looking into canceling all comp. Pro badges from the company (the guy lost his job over the incident as well).
* a Volunteer got busted scalping their badge.  He put it up on Craig's List the week/day of the Convention, and someone totally set him up with CCI: went through the motion of buying the badge, scanned it on a CCI computer, and the person was banned from Comic-Con permanently: from buying a badge as well as volunteering.

I know the Pro in the first example (who is back to being a Pro, but missed a few SDCCI and WonderCons over the incident), and was told about the other incident from a manager of the company who had to deal with the issue first hand.  The third incident was told by a friend of mine that I trust, but I can't 100% vouch for it as it's essentially boiled down to "a story a buddy told me."  The other two I heard first-hand, though.  I won't divulge any more info about the incidents out of privacy for all involved (the company was INCREDIBLY embarrassed). 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:45:17 PM by perc2100 »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »
As they should be!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
Those are interesting stories!

Now, does anyone know of people using someone else's badge and getting caught at the door through random ID checks? I've never actually witnessed an ID check.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
* a Pro who was trying to be cool and sell his guest badge.  They posted on a FB group wall offering the 5-day guest badge for sale (it was a paid guest badge, and the Pro was just asking for the person to pay for the badge - meaning, "hey, I have a guest badge to whomever wants to claim it/pay for it themselves").  CCI caught wind, canceled both their badge and the guest badge, and banned them for a couple of years.
* a Pro who got caught trying to sell a comp. guest badge.  He was banned permanently, and his company had to smooth it out w/CCI as CCI was looking into canceling all comp. Pro badges from the company (the guy lost his job over the incident as well).
* a Volunteer got busted scalping their badge.  He put it up on Craig's List the week/day of the Convention, and someone totally set him up with CCI: went through the motion of buying the badge, scanned it on a CCI computer, and the person was banned from Comic-Con permanently: from buying a badge as well as volunteering.

I know the Pro in the first example (who is back to being a Pro, but missed a few SDCCI and WonderCons over the incident), and was told about the other incident from a manager of the company who had to deal with the issue first hand.  The third incident was told by a friend of mine that I trust, but I can't 100% vouch for it as it's essentially boiled down to "a story a buddy told me."  The other two I heard first-hand, though.  I won't divulge any more info about the incidents out of privacy for all involved (the company was INCREDIBLY embarrassed).

Whoa. Well, I know of a guy who was being paid to sit in the Hall H line. The people who hired him gave him a badge so he could sit in line. He wanted to see the hall, so he tried to use the badge. Turns out it was a bad badge. They wanted his ID. He told them it was in the car and left to get back in line and whoever it was at the door kept the badge. I don't know what happened to the owner of that bad badge.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2019, 05:56:44 PM »

Now, does anyone know of people using someone else's badge and getting caught at the door through random ID checks? I've never actually witnessed an ID check.

I've never seen the random ID check, but it would be my luck that my badge would be the first one checked so no way would I loan it out. I've had friends loan theirs, though. They were sweating bullets the whole time. I just couldn't do that.

Offline Kfrye

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2019, 06:05:37 PM »
I've never seen the random ID check, but it would be my luck that my badge would be the first one checked so no way would I loan it out. I've had friends loan theirs, though. They were sweating bullets the whole time. I just couldn't do that.
Not a random ID check, but I was badging in once (on my way into Hall H on a Saturday morning!), and the guard looked away and didn't see the light turn green. She demanded that I badge in again and wouldn't listen when I told her I already had. So, of course, the light went red, and I had to have my ID checked. Total pain, but I was exceedingly glad that it really was my badge! Luckily, I had family to grab a seat for me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »

Yes, a few years ago on Sunday late afternoon, the guards starting doing random checks as I was heading inside. They stopped at least two people. One had a booth vendor badge but the name was etched out, so of course they stopped him. I think the booth was switching them out for workers? And a woman who was using her husband’s badge. It was a guy’s name so they stopped her. Of course her ID didn’t have her husband’s name, they confiscated the badge around her neck. I was checked and let in.

This was one of the last years before RFID. With that maybe they don’t check as much now?

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »
* a Pro who was trying to be cool and sell his guest badge.  They posted on a FB group wall offering the 5-day guest badge for sale (it was a paid guest badge, and the Pro was just asking for the person to pay for the badge - meaning, "hey, I have a guest badge to whomever wants to claim it/pay for it themselves").  CCI caught wind, canceled both their badge and the guest badge, and banned them for a couple of years

I also know a pro who had that happen. Who knows, maybe it's the same pro?

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
A guy on a Sunday morning asked me if I was done for the day and tried to buy my badge from me. I told him no thank you, got on the trolley and left lol

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
There are tons of people hanging out just outside the 'secure' zone on the MMM side of the convention center on Sunday afternoon, asking people if they are done with their badges.

It's pretty standard for them to ask for ID if your badge goes red for any reason. So if you didn't scan out, are going through the Sails to a line and made to scan in twice, or otherwise arouse a guard's suspicion, you will have to show ID. But I have never seen 'random' ID checks since they went RFID.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] - I was just reading some interesting things about the fluctuating fees on StubHub.  What did you think of their fees from the seller’s POV?
I guess my general thought is they seem to be a bit high IMO, but I was in a position of "there's nothing I can really do about it other than live with it" since it was the standard.  I suppose there might've been otherwise to try to sell the tickets not on Stub Hub, but that would've required a TON of extra work I generally don't have time for (er....because I spend too much time on forums? :P ).  It is what it is: I was very thankful for the incredible ease of the service (it's incredibly easy to compare other tix for the game to see if you're on the high or low end; easy to monitor and get updates; get payment pretty quick; etc).  If I wasn't a huge baseball fan that went to most of the games, I could easily figure out a way to pay for next season's tix by selling the most popular games (like, Dodgers fans will always over-pay for good tickets): I have a friend who's been doing that for years, where by the end of the season they already have next year's tix paid for AND a little bit of extra cash (while still attending at least half of the season's games).  I had higher-priced tix this year so the fees were noticeable & I had to really think about those fees in order to make the money I wanted. 
But, it's their world & I'm just trying to coexist w/e'm so what are ya gonna do

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
Yes, a few years ago on Sunday late afternoon, the guards starting doing random checks as I was heading inside. They stopped at least two people. One had a booth vendor badge but the name was etched out, so of course they stopped him. I think the booth was switching them out for workers? And a woman who was using her husband’s badge. It was a guy’s name so they stopped her. Of course her ID didn’t have her husband’s name, they confiscated the badge around her neck. I was checked and let in.

This was one of the last years before RFID. With that maybe they don’t check as much now?

My family was stopped once the first year of RFID randomly on Sunday for seemingly no reason.  I was stopped once on a Thursday going into Hall H for ID, after getting inside (it was late morning/early afternoon and I just walked in - no line, but oddly was held up for an ID search).

But that's twice in 20 years of Comic-Con.  CCI likely knows how much of a hassle it would be to do ID's (though NAMM Convention is incredibly strict nowadays about ID, and once that 'culture' is ingrained in attendees it's EZPZ getting in/out) and likely only checks if there is a suspicion: and likely then not-too-often.

Of course, this is past experience and who knows if this may change at some point going forward...