Author Topic: Here's a new option, stay in your car.  (Read 7486 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Here's a new option, stay in your car.
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
It is now legal to live in a vehicle on the streets of San Diego.  What could be cheaper and more convenient than staying in your car?  Get a decent spot and you can be close to the convention center.  People have already put their vans on Airbnb.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Here's a new option, stay in your car.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »
I've actually seen people do that before.  Though I guess the difference is that it was illegal then.  One guy I met said he slept in his car and showered at a 24 Hour Fitness.  Some nights he slept in Hall H line.  More power to people willing to do that.  I can't imagine more than a night without a bed.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:33:33 AM »

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
I kinda just assumed this was already happening. CCI is expensive, and I'm sure people have slept in their cars for less...

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
I guess you could rent and park in one of the garages, curious how many vans will be on the streets in downtown. I don’t know man I think I’ll stick with a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
I've actually seen people do that before.  Though I guess the difference is that it was illegal then.  One guy I met said he slept in his car and showered at a 24 Hour Fitness.  Some nights he slept in Hall H line.  More power to people willing to do that.  I can't imagine more than a night without a bed.

I use that 24 Hour Fitness as my locker during comic-con.  Exactly like how someone uses a locker in high school.

Sleeping in a vehicle doesn't have to be uncomfortable.  A lot of people do it.  Many out of necessity and some out of choice.  For them it's a lifestyle.  Vanlife is like a millennial version of the RV culture from the '50s.  There are so many videos of people showing off their urban campers on youtube.  They look like normal vans on the outside, inside they are tiny houses.  I have to admit, I've been toying with the idea of building one myself.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
It is now legal to live in a vehicle on the streets of San Diego.  What could be cheaper and more convenient than staying in your car?  Get a decent spot and you can be close to the convention center.  People have already put their vans on Airbnb.

Wowza, just the thought gives me minor anxiety. I honestly think I'd feel safer sleeping in the Hall H line every night, tbh. It's not obvious from my username but I'm a chick, so maybe I'd feel differently if I was a dude, but I don't think so. Still, more power to anyone who's down to do that--sleeping accommodations are always a stressful thing to work out at SDCC, and that's certainly one legit way to completely circumvent the Hotelpocalypse issue (and the cost issue).

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:48:18 PM »
I use that 24 Hour Fitness as my locker during comic-con.  Exactly like how someone uses a locker in high school.

Sleeping in a vehicle doesn't have to be uncomfortable.  A lot of people do it.  Many out of necessity and some out of choice.  For them it's a lifestyle.  Vanlife is like a millennial version of the RV culture from the '50s.  There are so many videos of people showing off their urban campers on youtube.  They look like normal vans on the outside, inside they are tiny houses.  I have to admit, I've been toying with the idea of building one myself.

I mean fair.  To the people who have to do it out of necessity, I feel that. I have been homeless before.  I’ve slept on floors.  I have loads of sympathy. 

I feel like people who choose it, though, may be slightly different as they tend to make it comfortable.  Like a lot of these vans have mattresses.  My moms ex used to have a van with a bed in the back and we’d go camping in it all the time.  Felt just like a normal bed.  (And one time we woke up to a bear sniffing at our window SO MUCH FUN...  ANYWAY)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
No need to sleep  in your car during SDCC....put up a tent in the Hall H line in the evening.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 11:33:51 PM »
I mean fair.  To the people who have to do it out of necessity, I feel that. I have been homeless before.  I’ve slept on floors.  I have loads of sympathy.

Same.  The housing situation is out of control in California.  I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country.  People with middle class jobs living on the street and in their cars is a common sight here in California.  They can no longer afford housing.  That's not sustainable.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:15:28 AM »
I remember my first comic con, where I asked the taxi driver about housing costs and he sighed, " I paid $400,000 for my house and I live in a shack!".  At the time I thought he was joking.  He was not.   ???
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline geek_girlie

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 05:57:39 AM »
My friends and I jokingly debated that we should do this, since we end up sleeping and/or getting up way way early to get in line anyways. However, had no idea it was illegal (or use to be)!!   ???

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 06:14:37 AM »
My friends and I jokingly debated that we should do this, since we end up sleeping and/or getting up way way early to get in line anyways. However, had no idea it was illegal (or use to be)!!   ???

There are some nice luxary shacks (condos) in Mission Valley.  Thought about picking up a 2bed/2bsth as an investment.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
We have my dad in a tiny 650 sq ft condo in Pacific Beach, about 5 blocks from the ocean.  We paid $405k.  Ouch.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
I remember my first comic con, where I asked the taxi driver about housing costs and he sighed, " I paid $400,000 for my house and I live in a shack!".  At the time I thought he was joking.  He was not.   ???

San Diego is dirt cheap compared to San Francisco.  People can't really grasp that by just reading the numbers on the news.  You have to be on the ground to fully appreciate it.  Even 20 years ago when we were relocating people from the midwest they didn't really get it until they came.  Then they had the deer in the headlights look.  They had a 5-6 bedroom house in the midwest.  For what they sold it for, they were lucky to get a 1 bedroom apartment in San Francisco.  If they could find one that cheap.

People making minimum wage have no hope in California unless they are under rent control from 30 years ago.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »
We have my dad in a tiny 650 sq ft condo in Pacific Beach, about 5 blocks from the ocean.  We paid $405k.  Ouch.

In San Francisco a condo like that in a similar neighborhood is closer to $1.5M.