Author Topic: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion  (Read 94726 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion
« on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:59 AM »
Well - people already seem to be discussing it, so let's start the 2023 thread (a great way to combat post-con depression is to discuss next year!!!

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
Re: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 02:36:22 PM »
Well, next year I'm gonna try to get a hotel room for my group for the first time. We normally commute since we live close by but the late nights/early mornings were painful this year. The 2 hours we would save by not commuting sound wonderful.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:20:25 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 04:24:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, next year I'm gonna try to get a hotel room for my group for the first time. We normally commute since we live close by but the late nights/early mornings were painful this year. The 2 hours we would save by not commuting sound wonderful.

We live close enough to commute, but it would not be fun, especially with the traffic near the convention center. We've stayed closer and closer to the convention center as the years have gone by. Used to try to save money by staying at Hotel Circle. No more. With Hall H, I prefer HBF, MMM, or MGH.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »
We live close enough to commute, but it would not be fun, especially with the traffic near the convention center. We've stayed closer and closer to the convention center as the years have gone by. Used to try to save money by staying at Hotel Circle. No more. With Hall H, I prefer HBF, MMM, or MGH.

It's also the first year we braved Hall H Saturday, which is something we had fun doing and would do again but we all agreed that we need a place to have a real rest at least Friday and Saturday. No more commuting if I can help it. MMM looks perfect for us, I've always wanted to try the pool and then raid the hospitality suite for snacks haha. 

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 06:40:18 PM »
Yeah I live in LA, and with my comic con schedule I feel like commuting all 5 days would be hellish. You have traffic in the morning to deal with and exhaustion at night to deal with. Totally worth it to get a hotel. Some people call SDCC Nerd Prom, but I call it a Nerd Sleep Away Camp.

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 07:20:26 PM »
Yeah I live in LA, and with my comic con schedule I feel like commuting all 5 days would be hellish. You have traffic in the morning to deal with and exhaustion at night to deal with. Totally worth it to get a hotel. Some people call SDCC Nerd Prom, but I call it a Nerd Sleep Away Camp.

Totally agree. I’ve commuted from LA and I’ve stayed in a hotel.

Hotel wins. Every. Time.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 01:57:10 AM »

My sis and I teamed up with some random Twitter folks for a Hall H line, and one of the women in the group actually lives in San Diego and chose to stay in a downtown hotel just for the convenience, so yeah, I would totally get a hotel room!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 11:15:07 AM »
Even if I lived in San Diego, I would probably try and stay at one of the nearby hotels--because of the atmosphere.  It can be so much fun being more in the thick of things.  I want to experience as much of the atmopshere as possible.  If I had the funds...sure, I would do that.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 01:16:06 PM »
Moxy hotel for 2023. Booking.com

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »
Residence Inn Gaslamp is also available on booking.com (and marriott for direct through July 22) for 2023 SDCC dates. Booking is no-prepayment needed and free cancellation while Marriott is I believe deposit/prepay but refundable and cancellable. They're good rates too, will be roughly what I paid for HBF for the same number of nights this year! I just booked Residence Inn Gaslamp through booking. I would have done so through Marriott, but I really don't want to do a deposit at the moment. Also, when I pulled it up on my phone on Marriott earlier, it was letting me choose July 23 for check-out (Sunday,) but now it it's limiting me to Saturday. Might check back tomorrow to see if that changes.

Can't take credit for the tip, Carlo on the FOCC discord posted it and this link to the tweet about it, and pinged the hotels role, just putting it over here for the non-discord people:
@SD_Comic_Con
 If anyone is already looking at backup hotels for SDCC 2023, Residence Inn Gaslamp has a few affordable room available (Tuesday to Sunday) with free cancellation and no prepayment required.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:05:42 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 08:24:26 AM »
I live about 20-25 mins up the 15 from downtown, and while the commute is manageable I would absolutely stay in a hotel within walking distance if I could.  Not only do I often miss all the nighttime shenanigans with out-of-town friends and line group peeps, but when things like this year's Hall H line debacle happen (I got my wristband Friday night for C a few mins before midnight, and had to be back downtown around 6am after the hard core security for Friday's Hall H line wouldn't let people leave security area after around 6:45amish), that commute felt not-so-fun.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 12:01:57 PM »
Residence Inn Gaslamp is also available on booking.com (and marriott for direct through July 22) for 2023 SDCC dates. Booking is no-prepayment needed and free cancellation while Marriott is I believe deposit/prepay but refundable and cancellable. They're good rates too, will be roughly what I paid for HBF for the same number of nights this year! I just booked Residence Inn Gaslamp through booking. I would have done so through Marriott, but I really don't want to do a deposit at the moment. Also, when I pulled it up on my phone on Marriott earlier, it was letting me choose July 23 for check-out (Sunday,) but now it it's limiting me to Saturday. Might check back tomorrow to see if that changes.

Can't take credit for the tip, Carlo on the FOCC discord posted it and this link to the tweet about it, and pinged the hotels role, just putting it over here for the non-discord people:

Residence Inn only has single bed rooms, or else I'd jump on this for backup. I know they have rooms with a soft bed, but judging from the pictures, it'd be very cramped. But having a kitchen would be nice to have.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 05:31:18 PM »
Residence Inn only has single bed rooms, or else I'd jump on this for backup. I know they have rooms with a soft bed, but judging from the pictures, it'd be very cramped. But having a kitchen would be nice to have.

Yeah, honestly something that I hate is that you never get to see pictures of when the rooms have the sofa bed extended into an actual bed. It's not just Residence Inn but basically anywhere that also advertises a sofa bed. You never get to see what the space looks like if it's out and I can never find customer pictures of them like that too. But honestly, hotel rooms with two beds are usually pretty cramped either way and my friends and I aren't hugely picky, so I just went for it. I do know they have rooms w/ the sofa bed in which the orientation of the furniture is different and sometimes that looks like it'd be better space wise, but it's hard to tell if it's a different type of room type either...

Honestly, just because that irks me so much, if I ever end up staying at a hotel with a sofa bed, I'll probably get pictures of how it looks when extended, even if I'm not using it, just so I can make a review with it lmao

Just checked, they haven't opened up reservations for Saturday night yet for booking directly. It's still locked to July 22, 2023 as the last day you can book.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 07:59:10 PM »
Well - people already seem to be discussing it, so let's start the 2023 thread (a great way to combat post-con depression is to discuss next year!!!

Just checked MMM for next year, and the dates are all blocked off.

A new Marriott Hotel is opening up in the Gaslamp in October.

Should be interesting to see what it will be like when it opens and if it will be offered in the sale next year.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 12:27:08 AM »
It looks super fancy. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another Pendry on our hands (ie, it's on the hotel list, but no one gets it through the lottery).