Author Topic: Use of Comic Con Photos Waiver?  (Read 6284 times)

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
Use of Comic Con Photos Waiver?
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
Hi. I believe photos taken of the audience in panels can actually be shared online (i.e. social media, website)? I mean everyone does it and there must be some sort of waiver included in attending the event. I don't have my badge with me atm so I can't read the fine text on the badge if it says clearly there on there photos may be taken of you at events or it is buried somewhere else in the comic con website. Comic Con must have some sort of waiver in place at least for them using it and then I assume we can get permission via that if I run a panel and want to share photos of my panel (for non profit reasons).

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
Re: Use of Comic Con Photos Waiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
Well bad news, here is what I received back, which is not helpful in terms of doing a generic waiver. Individual waivers are not feasible for a large panel, I think  ???

There is no blanket release for usage of photos.

We don't allow any kind of signage or blanket releases for the panel rooms, unfortunately.  Basically you're responsible for getting your own individual releases for anyone who's photograph you use.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:17:52 AM »

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Don't know if this is of any help, but at the New York Comic Con there were signs posted basically saying that in exchange for being allowed to attend NYCC you grant permission to be "recorded."

I'd presume there's a similar disclaimer at San Diego.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't know if this is of any help, but at the New York Comic Con there were signs posted basically saying that in exchange for being allowed to attend NYCC you grant permission to be "recorded."

I'd presume there's a similar disclaimer at San Diego.

Indeed.  You can find it here on the official website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Most conventions have this sort of policy in regards to using your likeness for their promotional needs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:18:34 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:24:49 PM »
Yes that lets Comic Con itself use the photos of the panelists but doesn't help when we are the ones who want to legally use the photos without having to do individual waivers as advised by the convention. Unless we can count as an agent or licensee of the convention but I don't think that works.

This may be one of those circumstances where the actual practice of using photos by most convention attendees doesn't match the actual legal rights involved.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:26:57 PM by darqamin »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
I guess when u buy a badge, u are consenting they can use a picture of u being at event. if otehrs are too worried about legel hassles they can easily ask u to sign a paper or form that u read saying u give consent to use ur pic in a promotional material at time. as long as it not misused by the con then i guess u cant sue them at all. people take so many pictures at events, that as long as they dont miss use it they wont get sued i guess.

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »
I am not an attorney.  But there's no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place, so I would think you don't have to worry about people that are in the background of whatever you're taking a picture of.  Even if you're taking general shots showing the crowd, since you're not focusing on any specific individual.

For instance, in the NYCC photo I posted earlier in this thread, there are four individuals whose faces are clearly visible.  But they're just "faces in the crowd," they just happened to be there at the moment I pressed the shutter.  So I would reasonably believe that I don't need to get their permission to post that photo.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am not an attorney.  But there's no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place, so I would think you don't have to worry about people that are in the background of whatever you're taking a picture of.  Even if you're taking general shots showing the crowd, since you're not focusing on any specific individual.

For instance, in the NYCC photo I posted earlier in this thread, there are four individuals whose faces are clearly visible.  But they're just "faces in the crowd," they just happened to be there at the moment I pressed the shutter.  So I would reasonably believe that I don't need to get their permission to post that photo.

This is often discussed in photography circles.

Standard I'm not an attorney disclaimer applies.  Everything I say is always only my opinion.  Being open to the public is different from a public place.  Examples of a public place are public streets, public sideways and public parks.  A convention center such as Javits or San Diego are not public places.  They are private places open to the public.  So what applies there is the policy declared by the people running those private places.  The sign at NYCC clearly spells that out.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
It would be most efficient if they just applied the NYCC rules to SDCC so it is clear that panelists/press/attendees can use photos in the same manner. Ultimately, that is what almost any attendee does when they take photos at the event, might as well make the rules match the actual practice.