Author Topic: Walking Dead Season 9 *Spoilers*  (Read 14463 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Walking Dead Season 9 *Spoilers*
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They aren't ordinary people.  They are the survivors after years of conflict with walkers and other survivors.  They are the baddest of the bad.  They are the toughest of the tough.  They would eat your average CIA agent who has never even fired a gun let alone killed anyone for lunch.  These aren't doe eyed gullible people.  All those people are dead.  Well they shouldn't be anyways.  That's the problem.

Right, but we're talking about actual human beings.  Surviving in a community of people does not equal impeccable skills of detection.  It means they are likely good at spotting and fighting off zombies, fighting of marauders, etc.  Not necessarily spotting strangers who may be a threat.  As stated before by Jun, it was explained in the show (and I think by me somewhere?) that no one in any community knows everyone in every community: let alone teams of security people.  There clearly was no thought-out ID method, or whatnot to distinguish whom is a community member & who wasn't.  Add to that at that point people knew The Whisperers as animal-like community who roamed the landscape with zombie hordes: not nicely-dressed, fairly-cleaned-up friendly folks who look like everyone else.

My dad spent a large chunk of his career as an investigator of one-kind or another for the state of OH: often analyzing criminal behavior.  He once said to me (and I've heard this from MANY police officers & detectives over the years) that often the most simplest of answers is the explanation.  Overwrought conspiracy theories don't mean much to me, and remind me of early 00's Sopranos theories (the Russian who escaped the Pine Barrons is working with Johnny Sac!!); often fans need to have every little detail spelled out or whatnot, when in the big picture it's not important to the narrative of the series.
IDK; go with the conspiracy & I'll go with my thoughts  8)

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »
Finally had a chance to finish up the last few episodes of Season 9 and I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised overall by this season even though I'm still upset that they killed off Jesus as I thought he was one of the more interesting and most versatile characters. 

I have a slightly different take on the Alden-Lydia bit. I think Alden's hostility toward Lydia is not so much because he thinks she's like her mother but because he blames her for Enid's death.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 11:50:38 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
I have a slightly different take on the Alden-Lydia bit. I think Alden's hostility toward Lydia is not so much because he thinks she's like her mother but because he blames her for Enid's death.

Possibly, but that is still indirect. I just think, given his backstory, that he'd be more sympathetic to her position. But yeah, it makes sense that he is upset about Enid.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Wow, I just learned that the TWD comic ended today with the release of issue 193. No spoilers, but I understand that something big happened recently in the comics (I am a few issues behind since I get them in volumes) but I am shocked to hear that it is ending!

In the comics, they were dealing with the Commonwealth. I am wondering what this means for the show, since the Commonwealth comes after the Whisperers...

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »
Wow.

I first really started following your reviews on TWD recently.  The comics and the show are similar but not exactly the same so we will have to see how things go.

Ron

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Wow, I just learned that the TWD comic ended today with the release of issue 193. No spoilers, but I understand that something big happened recently in the comics (I am a few issues behind since I get them in volumes) but I am shocked to hear that it is ending!

In the comics, they were dealing with the Commonwealth. I am wondering what this means for the show, since the Commonwealth comes after the Whisperers...

It's pretty big. I won't spoil but I don't think it can go the exact same way in the show due to the characters involved. I do think the show could do a lot with the Commonwealth.

Let me know if you want me to post under a spoiler tag.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »
You are always welcome to post under a spoiler tag!

I was spoiled because I saw a special cover for an issue that had the spoiler right on it. Really, Skybound?

Regardless, I am curious what the intentions are for the show.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
Massive comic spoilers below:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Press release for the final issue.

TODAY’S CONCLUSION TO LONG-RUNNING COMIC BOOK SERIES THE WALKING DEAD OFFERS READERS ONE FINAL, JAW-DROPPING CHAPTER

PORTLAND, Ore. 07/03/2019 — Image/Skybound’s long-running series THE WALKING DEAD by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard has come to its conclusion with today’s #193 issue.

This final chapter in the pop culture phenomenon was hinted at by the events of issue THE WALKING DEAD #192 and, according to Kirkman’s farewell letter at the end of the issue, has been planned and a longtime coming.

“I’ll say it again, I love (loved… oh, god, I’m not ready for past tense) writing this series. I really don’t want it to end. In fact, I’ve been… kind of unsettled since I wrote the script for this issue. The whole thing just feels… weird,” Kirkman wrote in the letter. “In a way, killing this series has been a lot like killing a major character. Much, much harder… but the same feeling. I don’t WANT to do it. I’d rather keep going… but the story is telling me what it wants and what it needs. This needs to happen. Whether I want it or not.”

Eric Stephenson, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer at Image Comics, added: "THE WALKING DEAD has always been full of twists, but one thing that has never been surprising is Robert Kirkman’s absolute commitment to telling the best story he could on his own terms. Other comic books traffic in the illusion of change, but Robert and his collaborators embraced actual change, so it’s only fitting that THE WALKING DEAD end by confronting the biggest change of all—a resolution to the story Robert began over 15 years ago. It’s testament not only to Robert’s and Charlie’s abilities that THE WALKING DEAD #193 is such a fitting farewell, but also to the possibilities available to anyone in the creative community when they are allowed to tell stories the way they want."

THE WALKING DEAD #193 is in stores today. Stop by your local comic shop to pick up the oversized issue and find out how it all ends.

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member],

Do you write a review of the comic book as well as the televised show on AMC?  I love your insights and would like to read your thoughts on the last issue of Fear The Walking Dead. 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member],

Do you write a review of the comic book as well as the televised show on AMC?  I love your insights and would like to read your thoughts on the last issue of Fear The Walking Dead.

I do not specifically write a review on the comic book, partly because I read the volumes, so I am always up to 6 issues behind. I was thinking of writing a discussion of Fear this season, but I am traveling right now and not watching the episodes right away, plus I believe it will be ending during SDCC, so the timing is terrible for writing an analysis right after airing! I was lucky enough to meet and interview the Fear cast at WonderCon this year, and wrote an article about it last April.

I haven’t watched the most recent episode of Fear yet *hides* because we are on satellite internet in Europe right now and it can’t handle the stream. I hope to watch it on Saturday when we are at the airport. *crosses fingers*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:41:43 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2019, 10:05:14 PM »

I wouldn’t worry about the show quite yet, regardless of the ratings being low. As long as the cast and crew and AMC want to keep pumping out new episodes, the main series isn’t going anywhere. Heck, we have movies being made and another series, too. Basically, it’s Power Rangers. AMC doesn’t want TWD to end.

As for Fear, I won’t say anything until you are caught up.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:14:32 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »
...I was lucky enough to meet and interview the Fear cast at WonderCon this year, and wrote an article about it last April.

I haven’t watched the most recent episode of Fear yet *hides* because we are on satellite internet in Europe right now and it can’t handle the stream. I hope to watch it on Saturday when we are at the airport. *crosses fingers*

I loved this article!  These are the kinds of insights I love to read when I am pointed towards one of your articles.  Hope to see you again on Sunday at the farewell supper.   :)