Author Topic: CCI member ID changes coming our way in 2022  (Read 11672 times)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: CCI member ID changes coming our way in 2022
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 06:24:48 AM »
First, I’m staunchly anti panel lottery.  It basically means I won’t get into panels I want, and then I’ll probably stop going.

But second, they would have huge logistical issues if they started doing lotteries.   If a panel does lotteries, the room has to be emptied and reloaded (see NYCC this year). Think about how long it takes for them to load Hall H in the morning.  They would have to do that before *every* panel.  It won’t cut back on lines, because you’ll have a long line for each pa el, and it will require more time between panels, meaning fewer panels.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 06:59:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First, I’m staunchly anti panel lottery.  It basically means I won’t get into panels I want, and then I’ll probably stop going.

But second, they would have huge logistical issues if they started doing lotteries.   If a panel does lotteries, the room has to be emptied and reloaded (see NYCC this year). Think about how long it takes for them to load Hall H in the morning.  They would have to do that before *every* panel.  It won’t cut back on lines, because you’ll have a long line for each pa el, and it will require more time between panels, meaning fewer panels.
If I had to guess it would most likely only be a lottery for panels in the 3 biggest rooms, and then those would probably either the full day or half days.  So you are only loading unloading it once or twice.  I 100% get that people that stand in line for hours and hours dont want the change, and they are very vocal.  But I think it would open it up to a lot of new people who have never been in the big panels as they either can't commit that time or just don't know in advance and then day of it's too late.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:17:00 AM »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 07:39:19 AM »
Well here’s the other downside to panel lotteries — people will enter even if they’re not sure they’ll go.  And then they’ll win the lottery and not go (after all, you see this with some exclusives too).  So then you either allow standby (back to the big line) or you’re back to a lot of people who want to go but can’t get in while there are a bunch of empty seats.  Also, based on what happened at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago, it creates a secondary market for panel access. 
Lotteries may sound good in theory, but they have unexpected side effects, usually completely unforeseen by the con company (at least if it’s ReedPop), and things turn into a cluster.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
My group is on the absolutely not side of it.  We put in the work, do our line shifts, and all get into Hall H on Friday and Saturday.  Certainly don't want that to become random where some get in, some don't.  I just got back from Disneyworld and we had an absolute blast, lines didn't seem to be an issue for anyone.

I have to say I was heartened to see this on the site with regard to CCI/SE

"Rooms will not be cleared between programs. You are permitted to stay in the same room for multiple programs (with certain exceptions; if a room is to be cleared, it will be announced)."

Per John Rogers, and I paraphrase, "the purpose of this policy was to alleviate crowding in the convention center".  If people were sitting in the rooms, they were not on either the exhibit floor or in the hallways of the convention center. A lottery introduces a whole new type of logistics.  NYCC system was not that great, and from what I observed, increased the lines.  Those that 'won' a lottery had to stand on a line outside the room to wait for it to be cleared, and there was no check to see if you were even eligible to be in the line.  There was a panel I wanted to attend for which I did NOT win a lottery.  I got on line early anyway.  Once it started moving, there were individuals checking badges using ipads.  I kept going.  I'm sure my badge didn't register that I was eligible, but they let me in anyway.  They didn't have a system to deal with those that weren't eligible, and I have a feeling they were a little overwhelmed at having to make the decision about who can get in and who can't.  Did I take someone else's seat?  I don't think so, as the room didn't completely fill up.  Probably the result of people that won the lottery, but chose not to show up.  If anything, I think NYCC's experience is why you should NOT do a lottery.

You can't make everyone happy.  If there's a panel in HALL-H that 7000 people want to get into, 1000 people are going to be disappointed.  It's supply and demand.

The plus side, for me, with SDCC's policy is the hidden gems I've discovered.  There are panels I never would have sat thru if it wasn't for this policy, and that would have been my loss.  I'll always remember my first hidden gem.  It was the 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' Panel (2015).  I only sat thru it because I was interested in the next panel.  It was a RIOT!!!

So I vote...NO PANEL LOTTERY!!!
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:34 PM »
Also, if people are in lines for one thing, then they aren't anywhere else. Having the Hall H line 'full' 24 hours a day means fewer people at offsites, on the Exhibit Floor, at other panels, etc. EVERYONE benefits from a full Hall H line.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 04:34:57 PM »
Um, what’s up with the panel lottery talk in here? Did I miss something?
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »
Um, what’s up with the panel lottery talk in here? Did I miss something?

it's just speculation...  I hope...   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 02:06:40 PM »
If I had to guess it would most likely only be a lottery for panels in the 3 biggest rooms, and then those would probably either the full day or half days.  So you are only loading unloading it once or twice.  I 100% get that people that stand in line for hours and hours dont want the change, and they are very vocal.  But I think it would open it up to a lot of new people who have never been in the big panels as they either can't commit that time or just don't know in advance and then day of it's too late.

Of course it will open up the opportunity to new people. But why should new people get the upper hand over people willing to stand in line for the panels?

At any rate I doubt there will be many 'big panels' for 2022.  There weren't many big ones for 2019, the 50th anniversary at that. I see a lot of studios waiting to see how the covid situation continues. Tv series panels most likely but which are even the big tv series panels going in to 2022 with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones done. The Witcher I suppose.
I don't think Disney will have much of a presence.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
Marvel will be there if it can be done safely.  The past two times there’s been a D23 year and everyone says “Marvel won’t be at SDCC, they’ll be at D23,” they’ve done both.  And they have a lot of stuff to talk about.

With Black Adam coming out a week after SDCC, I can see WB returning — trot out The Rock for some last minute promotion.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 02:18:54 PM »
Of course it will open up the opportunity to new people. But why should new people get the upper hand over people willing to stand in line for the panels?

It wouldn't give them an upper hand, it would put them on the same level.  I personally don't understand how some ones willingness to stand still for a long time makes them more deserving of something, but its the current way things are done so shrug.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 04:36:00 PM »
It wouldn't give them an upper hand, it would put them on the same level.  I personally don't understand how some ones willingness to stand still for a long time makes them more deserving of something, but its the current way things are done so shrug.

I personally look forward to the Hall H line. I actually stock up on things all year in anticipation of standing in the Hall H line. It is an adventure and there's such camaraderie as we all "suffer" together. We meet great people that way. I would be bummed if there were no Hall H line. Lotteries for any other line is fine. I just don't want one for Hall H.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2022, 04:40:28 PM »
I have to say I was heartened to see this on the site with regard to CCI/SE

"Rooms will not be cleared between programs. You are permitted to stay in the same room for multiple programs (with certain exceptions; if a room is to be cleared, it will be announced)."

Per John Rogers, and I paraphrase, "the purpose of this policy was to alleviate crowding in the convention center".  If people were sitting in the rooms, they were not on either the exhibit floor or in the hallways of the convention center. A lottery introduces a whole new type of logistics.  NYCC system was not that great, and from what I observed, increased the lines.  Those that 'won' a lottery had to stand on a line outside the room to wait for it to be cleared, and there was no check to see if you were even eligible to be in the line.  There was a panel I wanted to attend for which I did NOT win a lottery.  I got on line early anyway.  Once it started moving, there were individuals checking badges using ipads.  I kept going.  I'm sure my badge didn't register that I was eligible, but they let me in anyway.  They didn't have a system to deal with those that weren't eligible, and I have a feeling they were a little overwhelmed at having to make the decision about who can get in and who can't.  Did I take someone else's seat?  I don't think so, as the room didn't completely fill up.  Probably the result of people that won the lottery, but chose not to show up.  If anything, I think NYCC's experience is why you should NOT do a lottery.

You can't make everyone happy.  If there's a panel in HALL-H that 7000 people want to get into, 1000 people are going to be disappointed.  It's supply and demand.

The plus side, for me, with SDCC's policy is the hidden gems I've discovered.  There are panels I never would have sat thru if it wasn't for this policy, and that would have been my loss.  I'll always remember my first hidden gem.  It was the 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' Panel (2015).  I only sat thru it because I was interested in the next panel.  It was a RIOT!!!

So I vote...NO PANEL LOTTERY!!!

I agree with you. I've sat through some of the most interesting panels because of another panel I wanted to make sure I saw. I love the system. I vote no lottery!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2022, 05:37:48 PM »
I've always been of the opinion that those who want it most and put the most effort into it should be the ones that get into the panels.  That means standing in line.  Having said that, I do think that the line rules need to change.  It is so infuriating to stand in line for hours only to have a group of people cut in front of you because they are "with" the one person standing there.  If you are going to stand in line, then stand in line.  Do your time in person, not by proxy.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2022, 07:42:26 PM »
I've always been of the opinion that those who want it most and put the most effort into it should be the ones that get into the panels.  That means standing in line.  Having said that, I do think that the line rules need to change.  It is so infuriating to stand in line for hours only to have a group of people cut in front of you because they are "with" the one person standing there.  If you are going to stand in line, then stand in line.  Do your time in person, not by proxy.
I would stop cheering on lotteries if you had to actually stand in line.  Like I get going to the bathroom or for food....but if you are leaving the line for hours at a time nah.  You just have a good social network which is an advantage t you over someone who may not interact as well with others.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2022, 07:59:41 PM »
At first, I was inclined to agree with you, but...

If we're talking Hall-H, if I remember correctly, those people who 'cut' do get wrist bands, and are entitled to the spot that is being held for them.  By that, I mean once the line starts moving, wrist bands are checked.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Phasers on Stun!!!