Author Topic: NYCC Pre-Show Lotteries....  (Read 22542 times)

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
NYCC Pre-Show Lotteries....
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
Well its happening Lotteries for panels. At least they are only fill half the main stage with lotteries. I am not a fan of this approach

New this year, we're giving fans the opportunity to enter a pre-show lottery for a few of the most popular things to do at NYCC! Check out the FAQ below for more information on how to win and remember, as soon as you receive your badge in the mail you MUST activate your badge to participate. If you haven't yet, activate your badge now and then come back here for more info. No worries if you haven't received your badge in the mail yet. You can still enter the lottery - just be sure to activate your badge as soon as you receive it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:22:55 PM by Devorah »
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
Re: NYCC Pre-Show Lotteries....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
This is going to be weird. At least it's just 50%. I wonder if people will actually show up if they win or if there will be some overbooking just in case. Don't they already have an overflow line, or did they get rid of them when they went to badge tapping?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:22:54 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
yikes, thanks for this post [member=1222]mllNY[/member]

i had no idea they had re worked this- i'm not sure i like the lottery idea either-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
100,00 people entering lotteries for ~1,700 seats then 50% of the winners no showing up that day

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
also at star wars celebration for the exclusives lotteries you didn't even have to provide proof you were going to enter. they had people not going winning and in some cases selling on ebay tickets for Funko and Lego exclusives

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
also at star wars celebration for the exclusives lotteries you didn't even have to provide proof you were going to enter. they had people not going winning and in some cases selling on ebay tickets for Funko and Lego exclusives

If their Q&A is accurate they fixed it.

"Yes, in order to ensure that only real NYCC fans are entering the pre-show lottery, only fans with Fan Verified email addresses will be able to enter. Our system is super smart too, so your entire entry will be disqualified if you try to enter lotteries  for a day you don't have a valid NYCC badge."
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
100,00 people entering lotteries for ~1,700 seats then 50% of the winners no showing up that day

i wonder if nycc will give out stand by wrist bands for the lottery winner 'no shows' in the morning or make folks wait to the show time to find out if they can get in.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Does this really make my experience better?

These lotteries will help you plan your show and not waste time in long lines — because no one wants to go to #LineCon, amirite? The coolest thing is that if you win, your badge will be pre-loaded with the lotteries you won and you'll simply tap your badge to redeem your spot at the time of the event.

I actually want to use the twitter hastag #LineCon and express my dislike for this...

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
Also I am curious who is taking part in the exclusives online queue

What happens if I'm not selected as a winner?
For exhibitor exclusives, some exhibitors opted into having a virtual standby line where you can tap your activated badge and we'll send you a text message if there's availability and it's your turn to come back to the booth.

maybe we should call this #LotteryCon

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
I may be in a minority but I see the value and benefits in the lottery so I've taken a wait and see before I judge view.

As someone who has waited in lines for hours and hours to NOT get what I was waiting for, I can express there is no worse feeling. It totally ruins the day, wasted my time and makes me a grumpy foul fellow. I'd rather be disappointed early via lottery results so then at the very least I can find alternative plans and options. In my experience 99% of the time these alternative plans end up being very enjoyable and I feel much better and OK with not getting my initial hope.

I do see how disappointing it would be for that one "must have, must go, must do" event I want and not get. If my heart and soul was set on it and it was my make or break event, sure, no alternative plan is going to make that better. However, for me there are very very few of these "I will die if I don't get events."

The only other drawback I see as several have referenced, is people signing up just because it's easy now. I can see everyone signing up for a main stage panel or exclusive that they may not have really wanted before but since it's a simple "click" why not? So it does take away from those true die hard fans. It's way more competition unneccessary. However to me this is no different than when I read on here how that person who just wanted Thursday at SDCC but got in the cue first so decided to buy all 4 days and PN and now those who really wanted it for all these reasons can not. So I would like to see a separate system for each ... main stage, autographs, exclusives, etc. That way at the very least you have to do more than what I believe will just be a few clicks to enter each. Even that would probably deter the no desire people but will click it just because it's easy and there.   

Also, as an exclusives fan, most of those have been some form of a lottery for a while now so that's nothing new and maybe that's why this is less a big deal for me. However I almost always do a main stage panel and try for the limited autos but it's not make or break for me.

"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »
I may be in a minority but I see the value and benefits in the lottery so I've taken a wait and see before I judge view.

As someone who has waited in lines for hours and hours to NOT get what I was waiting for, I can express there is no worse feeling. It totally ruins the day, wasted my time and makes me a grumpy foul fellow. I'd rather be disappointed early via lottery results so then at the very least I can find alternative plans and options. In my experience 99% of the time these alternative plans end up being very enjoyable and I feel much better and OK with not getting my initial hope.

I hear what you are saying, but considering the bold. Now you have people entering who otherwise would not. They win, now all those fans who would have waited in line for Plan A move on to Plan B and if their plan B is your Plan A it just made that a whole lot harder. Especially if those people decide not to show up to the original panel

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »
I hear what you are saying, but considering the bold. Now you have people entering who otherwise would not. They win, now all those fans who would have waited in line for Plan A move on to Plan B and if their plan B is your Plan A it just made that a whole lot harder. Especially if those people decide not to show up to the original panel
Yeah I referenced this issue later in my post. It creates potential unnecessary competition.

My hope and this is my "wait and see" attitude is how many people are going to enter lotteries they have no business or real desire to attend and thus squeeze out those who really wanted it. I know it will definitely bring in more, I'm human, I'm probably going to enter some lotteries that I like but would not have gone way out of my way for before but if it just takes a simple click? Yeah, I'll click it. If that's my attitude, I know plenty of others will too BUT I'm not going to click on everything. I'd still have some discretion and that's my hope that everyone at least does that. Be prudent in what you choose, really just pick those few items you would've have lined up for, camped out for, etc. That's my plan and I would hope everyone does that too, but I know that won't be the case and that's where I'd like to see how bad/how many no desire but I'll click it winners we get.

Ask me again though on the September 25 after I don't get anything I wanted!  ;) :(
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
As press I don't get my badges because of Fan Verification, am I ineligible for the lotteries? I don't like this at all.

EDIT: I was able to enter the autograph lotteries last year, never mind. I hope it works the same. There are like four main stage panels I want to see this year as opposed to last year's one.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:58:20 AM by jamiesugah »
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
yea if you have press you can enter. last year i even won a black sails signing, which was perfect cause i was doing black sails press

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
yea if you have press you can enter. last year i even won a black sails signing, which was perfect cause i was doing black sails press

Yeah, I totally forgot that I did autograph signings last year. (I got Shadowhunters, but this was before I watched the show so I couldn't even properly appreciate it.)

That's comforting, but I'm still not a fan of lotteries for panels.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah