Author Topic: Let's Laugh At Ourselves: What's your ridiculous "over prepping" for SDCC?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  Other than grabbing a couple of more cameras, I don't do anything special for comic-con.  I wear the same clothes I got at comic-con, Mr. Robot 2nd year today, everyday.  I use the big swag bags as shopping bags.  If you are in San Diego and see a guy wearing a comic-con t-shirt with a big swag bag at the supermarket, that's me.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
I remember I was pretty new on the forum when I first saw [member=3]Chris[/member] 's big "Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans" post. When I saw this line I knew I was in the right place :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If in a group, walk single file not side by side (like Sand People to hide your numbers)

I was so completely unprepared for my first SDCC but by now my convention bag and packing is down to an exact science.  I still spend way to much time on scheduling, with post-it notes that can go 4 or 5 layers deep at times for panels, signings and events.

I've already started filling out my organizer for tickets and other paperwork, plus a staging area for things that I might take to try and get get signed. Also already hunting for deals on things to buy and try to get signed.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
I remember I was pretty new on the forum when I first saw [member=3]Chris[/member] 's big "Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans" post. When I saw this line I knew I was in the right place :)

I was so completely unprepared for my first SDCC but by now my convention bag and packing is down to an exact science.  I still spend way to much time on scheduling, with post-it notes that can go 4 or 5 layers deep at times for panels, signings and events.

I've already started filling out my organizer for tickets and other paperwork, plus a staging area for things that I might take to try and get get signed. Also already hunting for deals on things to buy and try to get signed.

I can't take credit for  the thread, it was actually from the tips thread from back in the day when we used to hang out on the comic con FB page around 2010.  About 50 people contributed to it. I just saved and organized it and added my own insanity a few places.  :)

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
I usually bring 2-3x the money I need because I'm super paranoid about not having enough money in case I come across a personal "grail".  I also wind up over packing; you'd think I wouldn't because you can just buy clothes there for anything but I plan out my daily outfits lol.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Well my suitcase is slowly gathering stuff.  I've thrown in a few shirts I know I won't be wearing between now and the con. I unclipped my FOCC landyard from my badge from last year and they're on standby for my badge.  And I've done the "bag of bags" thing (you know the thing) and put my dufflebag and backpack in my suitcase juuuuust so I know where they are.  39 days to go lololol

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Portable chargers!  Go ahead and add them to the pile NOW :)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Thank you for reminding me to bring my awesome FoCC lanyard. I left it behind at WC and it was awful!!

I'm starting my swag bag for the Sunday table!

I'm not used to staying there, so my packing is going to be weak sauce.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
Umm...after reading these answers, I'm embarrassed to say that I just pack the weekend before?  Then again I don't cosplay (yet!!) or anything...

I fly from overseas, my flight usually leaves about 9am and I'm usually packing around 2am/3am. 
Having said that, I travel a lot so usually have a good idea of what to pack, and I don't cosplay at SDCC.  I've gone to Star Trek conventions and cosplayed and that does require more prep!

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
I don't start packing until the week before, but I start shoe-shopping months before--gotta have time to both buy the perfect walking shoes and break them in.

My more paranoid custom is to quarantine myself as much as possible for 2-3 weeks before. I know there's about a 50% chance I'll be sick by the time I get home from the con, but I live in fear of getting sick right before my flight.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Usually by now I have hit Costco to check out snackage and made sure all the essentials (sunscreen, moleskin, compact chairs, hats, coolers) are still in good supply and working order. I haven't yet though.....it's weird.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Usually by now I have hit Costco to check out snackage and made sure all the essentials (sunscreen, moleskin, compact chairs, hats, coolers) are still in good supply and working order. I haven't yet though.....it's weird.

Everything feels kind of late this year, I don't know why. I haven't been feeling the same level of urgency as other years.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
My more paranoid custom is to quarantine myself as much as possible for 2-3 weeks before. I know there's about a 50% chance I'll be sick by the time I get home from the con, but I live in fear of getting sick right before my flight.

I do something similar.  I start upping my vitamin C and zinc intake to boost my immune system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Everything feels kind of late this year, I don't know why. I haven't been feeling the same level of urgency as other years.
Yeah, it feels like everything is late so that might be why....no big panel announcements, exclusive announcements at a minimum, not much from CCI on how lines and all this "exclusives portal" crap is gonna work...... hasn't been much to get worked up about yet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
Look I'm... I'm not saying I've already sorted out shirts I want to wear or anything but... but like I have some GOOD shirts and some not good shirts and I just... I just wanted to be able to know the good shirts were nice and clean and somewhere near my suitcase (in my suitcase, even).   ???  Crap guys I started packing clothes.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Look I'm... I'm not saying I've already sorted out shirts I want to wear or anything but... but like I have some GOOD shirts and some not good shirts and I just... I just wanted to be able to know the good shirts were nice and clean and somewhere near my suitcase (in my suitcase, even).   ???  Crap guys I started packing clothes.

The devolution of that was fun to read.  Don't worry, you're in a safe place here.  :)