Author Topic: Constructive suggestions for lines.... Hall H, Sails' Exclusives & Autographing  (Read 17588 times)

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I walked through under the Sails on Sunday afternoon and was amazed at how many people were still newly coming through the Bag/Books/Lanyards lines (were all those people really just getting there for the first time?), although they were out of Bags (so sad for those attendees, how did that happen; and they were freely handing out as many of the badge boxes with the pin included as you wanted (extras?).
Who gets to Comic-con on Sunday late afternoon with just a couple of hours left to hit the floor, wow the floor might've been even more crowded on Sunday afternoon than other days/times.

Maybe casual locals. Or people who decided to wait to get their bags/lanyard until the last day. We personally never use those bags and we never get ones that we like, so we give it away.  But I like getting the lanyard. They were telling people if you have multiple days you can pick it up whenever you want since most people already have their badges.

As for the work thing, most out of towners I run into take Monday and some even take Tuesday off. I would have taken Monday off but I didn't want to use more of my personal days. And since we're local I knew I'd at least get rest because we tend to leave by 2p or 3pm on Sundays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
I walked through under the Sails on Sunday afternoon and was amazed at how many people were still newly coming through the Bag/Books/Lanyards lines (were all those people really just getting there for the first time?), although they were out of Bags (so sad for those attendees, how did that happen; and they were freely handing out as many of the badge boxes with the pin included as you wanted (extras?).
Who gets to Comic-con on Sunday late afternoon with just a couple of hours left to hit the floor, wow the floor might've been even more crowded on Sunday afternoon than other days/times.

First yr back for me after so many years by chance getting to go before i thought it was busier saturday and sunday, but those who i was with and like in charge of help said they thought thurs and fri was leading up to the craziness over the weekend since not many got a badge for fri or thurs, or only got a badge for days they was able to go or get working or not. i think bags ran out cause they was able to replace bags that broke so that took away from those who not got one in the first place. if they only allowed anyone to trade and not try to replace a broke bag then maybe they have enough for anyone any day. i glad i had a pack and extra tote bag plus any that was given away from booth at times. so they need to make the bags more durable so not to break or rip so easy. im guessing they gonna get or got an ear full at their feedback session they have after con was over and by any they get by email at anytime. for as much as the traffic pays to get in any day possible , hope they read and consider all comments and put it all into play some how for next year.

Ok, rant over lol

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
...but, what is to stop everyone from lining up to be first in the "check in"? You will always have those that are willing to show up extremely early to try to guarantee themselves a seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let people line up. The problem is people cutting , tents, and groups of 5 turning into groups of 30.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
Let people line up. The problem is people cutting , tents, and groups of 5 turning into groups of 30.

I guess u can call all that loopholes, cause they allow it to happen if they cant get anyone to police it so to speak. they can try change things by not allowing tents but idk if they can get anyone to so to speak babysit so no one cuts in or stop groups from become bigger ea year.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
I tend to think alot in any possible way, as i picture what possible with all the tech created old and new. cant somebody in charge have a scanner of sort to scan badges that stores that u was in line at start so if u had to go anywhere they rescan and says to those who rescan that u have entry into panel, but can also tell if anyone tried to make fake entry badge or other was able to pull those people out of line and call somebody to investigate it on the spot so they cant just add a band to wrist as if they was there and got scanned to be inside and have a space reserved cause they had legit badge scanned before anyone was allowed to go in at time. cause the system would know how many seats are open and then would say after all r taken that it would say something about being full so no fire marshall would freak out later. unless they made sure people had moved up when seats are emptied that was able to slowly let new traffic into place as somebody is directing them to fill space in a row of chairs like being a usher lol. if anyone went to get eats they put their bag on chair to say was coming back. just what i can imagine and easily to do i think, but guessing somebody might prove me wrong some how lol

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
I tend to think alot in any possible way, as i picture what possible with all the tech created old and new. cant somebody in charge have a scanner of sort to scan badges that stores that u was in line at start so if u had to go anywhere they rescan and says to those who rescan that u have entry into panel, but can also tell if anyone tried to make fake entry badge or other was able to pull those people out of line and call somebody to investigate it on the spot so they cant just add a band to wrist as if they was there and got scanned to be inside and have a space reserved cause they had legit badge scanned before anyone was allowed to go in at time. cause the system would know how many seats are open and then would say after all r taken that it would say something about being full so no fire marshall would freak out later. unless they made sure people had moved up when seats are emptied that was able to slowly let new traffic into place as somebody is directing them to fill space in a row of chairs like being a usher lol. if anyone went to get eats they put their bag on chair to say was coming back. just what i can imagine and easily to do i think, but guessing somebody might prove me wrong some how lol

In my volunteer badge assignment, we pointed out red scans as folks entered Hall H and it took a bit of time for the light green polo folks just to recertify three bad scans.  However, We did see in D23 2015 that they had a multiple set of hand scanners at the doors and that Disney could process people that way, scanning badges as folks funneled through bottlenecks.  Not that this would work for 130,000 people, but maybe for 6,000 .

I don't think CCI didn't expect fake bands, just not the volume encountered this year.

I think a lot of the camping shortfalls (tents/mattresses) are the responsibility of the Convention Center and not CCI.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:35:08 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
First yr back for me after so many years by chance getting to go before i thought it was busier saturday and sunday, but those who i was with and like in charge of help said they thought thurs and fri was leading up to the craziness over the weekend since not many got a badge for fri or thurs, or only got a badge for days they was able to go or get working or not. i think bags ran out cause they was able to replace bags that broke so that took away from those who not got one in the first place. if they only allowed anyone to trade and not try to replace a broke bag then maybe they have enough for anyone any day. i glad i had a pack and extra tote bag plus any that was given away from booth at times. so they need to make the bags more durable so not to break or rip so easy. im guessing they gonna get or got an ear full at their feedback session they have after con was over and by any they get by email at anytime. for as much as the traffic pays to get in any day possible , hope they read and consider all comments and put it all into play some how for next year.

Ok, rant over lol

Yeah I was surprised to see a super long line for bags Thursday morning this year. Did the WB print a lot less bags this year compared to previous years? Before, I was always able to go to the Hall D lobby area where they fix bags and find an extra bag I'm looking for.  There was a nice guy who worked in that department who helped me find the Arrow bag I usually look for. I didn't see a bag-fixing area around this year. If there were less bags this year, I presume it's because of the special pins attached to the bags. Thankfully this year the bag I got was an Arrow bag (and a Arrow pin, whew).

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
Yeah I was surprised to see a super long line for bags Thursday morning this year. Did the WB print a lot less bags this year compared to previous years? Before, I was always able to go to the Hall D lobby area where they fix bags and find an extra bag I'm looking for.  There was a nice guy who worked in that department who helped me find the Arrow bag I usually look for. I didn't see a bag-fixing area around this year. If there were less bags this year, I presume it's because of the special pins attached to the bags. Thankfully this year the bag I got was an Arrow bag (and a Arrow pin, whew).

I passed out bags last year and this year. For some reason, there was a huge stack of broken bags when I did my first shift and it was only Thursday. People could exchange the ripped ones for new ones though.

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
For the past two years, I thought I was going to end up with great seats in Hall H (spending 30+ hours in line), but once the line got crazy thick (30 minutes before wristband handout) I started to realize this was not going to happen and disappointment/rage started setting in. I arrived with one friend and also made friends with the people in front/behind us. After our place in line was established, we stayed out there and took a few breaks (thanks to our new friends) to eat and/or get out of the sun for a bit (maybe 1-hour breaks). I feel like we put in the time but got ripped off in the end.

For the most part, I think people just want to know where they will end up in Hall H if they get into line at any given time. I'm a fan of people having to be there when the line is being formed (and have badges scanned). The person scanning badges at the end of the line would have a count (based on the scanned badges so far) and be able to let people know that number to estimate where they could potentially be seated in the room. If you force people to be there at the start (by scanning badges), the line will be established and it shouldn't get any thicker as the day progresses. Then, to get your wristband, a second scan of your badge would validate you were there at the start of the day. To prevent people at the back of the line from scanning in then moving up, initial scans could be done in sections (of 1500 people) similar to wristband lettering; this would at least keep people from moving up any more than 1500 spaces in line.

Saving spots in line is a minor detail in this scenario, but still needs at least some sort of a written rule by CCI (even if not enforced by them totally). I don't care if it's 1 person is allowed to save 2 total spots or even up to 5. Whatever the number, it's not going to change the thickness of the line at the end of the day since space should have been established for these people at the initial creation of the line (when badges were scanned).

There are probably some holes in my logic, but something needs to be done. I love Hall H and at the same time I am seriously reconsidering if I should do it next year if something doesn't change.
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923

Saving spots in line is a minor detail in this scenario, but still needs at least some sort of a written rule by CCI (even if not enforced by them totally). I don't care if it's 1 person is allowed to save 2 total spots or even up to 5. Whatever the number, it's not going to change the thickness of the line at the end of the day since space should have been established for these people at the initial creation of the line (when badges were scanned).

There are probably some holes in my logic, but something needs to be done. I love Hall H and at the same time I am seriously reconsidering if I should do it next year if something doesn't change.

There is a written rule by CCI, it's in the Hall H Wristband procedures the last 3 years. It says one person can save a spot in line for 5 additional people. Though it does state that this is after wristbanding I think. And we all know the line starts a good 24 hours before wristbands. Either way, 1 person saving for 5 additional, even if followed means that yeah, the line is going to thicken by 5x in the end. People don't save enough room b/c they are dumb. My group locked arms and spread out to make sure we saved enough room for our group, and there was a group behind us totally up our asses trying to tell us to move up because they were idiots. We kept explaining to them that we needed friggin room and the line is the line at this point, trying to get up people's asses just makes everyone uncomfortable and leaves no room.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20

I didnt get a bag i wanted but got a wonder woman pin by chance so it balanced out, and they would have had enough bags if they had made a mass amount and was more durable or they would not have broke and people try trade in for new and know how much weight the bag can hold lol. i even tried put by pac inside to put onback and the bottom coner of con bag burst lol but didnt bug or trade cause i know it can be fixed with duct tape if wanna reuse. i basically happy i had a chance to go in con this year by volunteering that was main focus really and anything extra or more is or was an added bonus to all i was able to get or do ea day. i kinda felt at times i was elite or not limited unless i was told other wise lol as a volunteer, cause i went just about anywhere i was able to as if i was working lol. enough of my rant lol

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
The problem with people needing to be in line early to get a scan is you'll still have people magically show up before the scan procedure if they know the time it's going to be done.

I think one good way to stop a lot of people joining in the line would be to start the wristbanding for the next day while there are still panels going on for day of.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
First time at the con

Lines in general
The ratio of 1:5 could be for families, but 6 is a bit much.  A 1:4 for a family of 5 would be better.  Though in a 24+ hour period who is monitoring how many ppl are in line at a given time? Basically it seems as long as 5 ppl are there 5-6am then it's a group of 30,. Which I believe is the crux of the issue.  I think they could do chutes of x amount of ppl fit 'here', like southwest A1-30, and it may be easier to self monitor the lines. by then groups should have there shifts lined up.

My ADA experience
I am one of those that don't look like they need one, please keep an open mind if this sticks in your craw.  Something as frequent a car accident can explain a need, so asking won't solve the misuse.  Given the below I don't think tracking documentation would be worth the savings.

Hall H
I talked to a lot of people and the consensus is they only give out 80 wristbands if you use the 6500 capacity, that is 1% of the seats.  I do see them waiting for hours in the sun.   One story was they arrived at 1:30pm and didn't get one.  I lamely tried for Sun on Sat at 7:30pm, but ran out half way through the line.   My bro and I walked back to the end of the regular line and gave up when we couldn't see the end into the park and ate at the crabshack (you'd think they'd order more beer for the weekend, had some not so cold ones).  By the time we were done eating the line had disappeared and Sun morning were still giving out C wristbands.

I got to Hall H ADA Sun standby line at 5am and was the first person in line. The ADA wristbanders were waiting inside already. Around 8am security came out and asked if anyone had wristbands and counted 78, 79 and  they joined the ADA already inside. I am not even sure where they got those, because they looked like regular C wristbands, which would be a huge issue.   

ADA wristbands are seated first because it takes time for wheelchairs, etc to get placed.  They let in ALL public wristbands before letting in the ADA standby line.  I too thought it was weird not to have to sit on a reserved chair.  I only saw two groups of about 30 chairs, and the rest are singles on the end of each row. I think the ADA wristband group should be required to sit in the grouped sections. Though if those are all taken up and there are only singles left, then a group should be able to sit together. 

All in all ADA access is not a free pass and may need to sit alone.  Not to mention the stigma and backlash from the community.

EE Line

I did a shift or two for groups in the regular line but never made it back at 6am so can't speak to the chaos. I do know that ADA are let in prior to the public and if they are taking the majority of lottery spots, that is not right and should be a priority to solve. I will send my comments as an ADA attendee.

B20
I don't think anyone complained about this, only Sat was there any kind of line and it was short.

Though on Sat I got a bathroom pass and took a little longer than normal,  and left my stuff on a seat in the ADA section. When I got back 11:20 it was gone and someone sitting there. I walked over to the ADA entrance and someone said they'd find me a seat,  at this point my leg was killing me and just plopped down on the floor.  I eventually got my stuff and they sat me in the sign language section, which yes was a great seat, but was humiliating when I was told I couldn't sit there more than a handful of times.  I tried to move in between panels but the mobs of ppl trying for front seats was a barrier and had no idea what was available in the back. 

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
I for one am a fan of the current system for Hall H and really only saw a cause for concern with the apparent counterfeit wristbands.  As has been pointed out by numerous folks the system for wristbands could still be instituted but simply use the RFID on our badges so no way to counterfeit.  Unfortunately they wouldn't have an easy way to see who should be allowed to join back in a line in the morning.  While people that didn't get scanned the night before couldn't get into Hall H there would be no easy way to distinguish if a ton of C & D folks were jumping ahead in the morning saying they are with folks.  I actually think the 1:5 ratio is a really good one, the problem is it is hard to enforce.  We made friends with the group ahead of us and behind us and I know nobody cut in prior to wristbands being handed out or in the morning between our groups.  I will admit that we had plenty of people try.  We were in group A so had plenty of cash offers, sob stories, and simply sneaky people trying to get in throughout.  I know for a fact people did get in ahead of us as the numbers from where we started to where we finished did not come close to holding to a 1:5 ratio but on a small scale that is going to happen.  It is just a matter of getting to know everyone around you and policing yourself.  I would be TOTALLY against any type of lottery for all the reasons previously stated.  Perfect example is off sites, how many hard core Dr Who, Dragonball Z, or Van Helsing fans got into those parties?  We are at the point where everything fills up within seconds of going public just because we are conditioned to RSVP/acquire tickets for whatever we can.  If you are willing to put in the work for Hall H you can 100% get in and I think it should stay that way. 

By far my biggest line complaint is the EE line and whatever keeps happening with ADA, the marina or whatever.  Over the last 2 years my group has camped out 4 times now in attempts to pull tickets for autographs and get into Funko and have completely struck out.  All 4 times we have been in the first chute and by the time we do the trek through sails and get out back there are more people in line back there for just funko or autographs then were in the entire EE line ahead of us.  To me the easiest fix is simply do a hand stamp or give out a ticket as you go through the doors for sails and bam no more issue with people getting through from the marina.  Even if the lines extended past the stairs to out back if people tried to jump in (not always being devious either, just opportunistic) they couldn't badge back in at bottom of the stairs without the stamp/ticket.