Author Topic: Using a cell phone to buy badges?!  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Callie524

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 22
Using a cell phone to buy badges?!
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
Unfortunately I’m in the middle of moving to Hawaii and will be stuck in a hotel with only my phone during Badge sales. Not the most ideal situation. My question is has any one used a phone to purchase badges? I’m trying to make the best of a bad situation. So any advice would greatly help!
Find me on Twitter @CallieMartinez

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Using a cell phone to buy badges?!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unfortunately I’m in the middle of moving to Hawaii and will be stuck in a hotel with only my phone during Badge sales. Not the most ideal situation. My question is has any one used a phone to purchase badges? I’m trying to make the best of a bad situation. So any advice would greatly help!

Does your hotel have a business center? If so you can hop on one of their computers. If not, people have had success buying on their phones before. Like you said it’s not ideal, but it can work. Good luck with the sale...and your move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:13:05 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
I agree about the business center. I've had to do that before, but it's worth it for the security of the desktop. JMHO.

You could also try a Kinkos or similar place, where you could rent a desktop for a couple of hours.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »

I'm in the opposite situation as I'm in the middle of moving from Hawaii :)  Still have wifi and laptop though so not as dire as you. Best of luck!!!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
I've had success using my Samsung S7, so all is not lost. Using a laptop or desktop would be more ideal, though. Think positively! :)

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
I've had success using my Samsung S7, so all is not lost. Using a laptop or desktop would be more ideal, though. Think positively! :)
I haven't tried it myself, but there SHOULD be no problem using a browser app on a smartphone. It's all the same to the server. But they don't guarantee that it will work because they interact with the device to refresh the screen. Go to the SDCC page on your phone browser and follow the "Not sure if your browser is compatible? CLICK HERE to check your current settings" link. I just tried it with both Chrome and SamsungInternet on Android and it said it passed all tests, but said "Your mobile browser may function correctly if other tests have passed but for the best registration experience we highly recommend using a desktop browser." On a desktop or laptop, it's easier to copy-and-paste the entry code.  8)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:31 AM »

Just make sure to do the browser test on your favored phone browser. You want to make sure, in advance, that it passes the tests for prop auto-refreshing. That should be enough to tell you if it should work at least in theory.

I once bought tickets off a first gen Kindle Fire, no joke, so I'm sure a smart phone would work better.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Callie524

• Freebie Table
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
It passed the test and my WIFI is pretty fast so looks like I will be trying to get badges tomorrow. Unfortunately I can’t get to a kinkos or anything like that. It will be 5am when it’s 8am in California. Thank you guys for the advice!

Offline kremss

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
In the last 3 years I have scored tickets, on an Iphone, Ipad, and a computer using Microsoft edge for a browser. I believe as long as you have a good connection that wont keep dropping your phone should be fine.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
What happens when you switch apps on a phone? Or if your phone locks? Do you lose your connection? Phones generally have a short timeout before they lock.

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
What happens when you switch apps on a phone? Or if your phone locks? Do you lose your connection? Phones generally have a short timeout before they lock.

Last time I used a phone, I turned my settings where the screen wouldn't turn off or lock..  so I just had it there plugged in ... spinning, spinning  lol

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
I tried to buy badges on an iPhone during open registration in 2012 back when we all used to jump in at the same time and I forgot to turn off my sleep mode and I got disconnected.  A couple of years ago,  I was successful in buying badges for WonderCon on an iPhone.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Callie524

• Freebie Table
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
Thank you for all that replied. It all worked out in the end and someone in my group got in and I got all four days plus preview night! This will be my first year being able to go to preview night so I’m really excited!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
Thank you for all that replied. It all worked out in the end and someone in my group got in and I got all four days plus preview night! This will be my first year being able to go to preview night so I’m really excited!

Congrats! So excited for you!

Offline Avertoss

• Sails Pavilion
    • CamSlurp
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
Glad you got it figured out in the end. I was in the same boat for a while, so I found it funny someone else was too.