Author Topic: Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?  (Read 4720 times)

Online SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:36:53 AM »
Here's the question:  Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?

Obviously NOT on Thanksgiving weekend.  But late October, particularly near Halloween, would be cool.  I'm envisioning a smaller, scaled down version of Comic Con much like Wonder Con.  Only instead of Anaheim we have it here in San Diego.

It would give us something to look forward to in those long, lonely months between Comic-Con and Wonder Con.

And maybe give it a new name.  "Special Edition" doesn't really do it for me.

What say you?

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Obviously NOT on Thanksgiving weekend.  But late October, particularly near Halloween, would be cool.  I'm envisioning a smaller, scaled down version of Comic Con much like Wonder Con.  Only instead of Anaheim we have it here in San Diego.

It would give us something to look forward to in those long, lonely months between Comic-Con and Wonder Con.

What say you?
I'd say no. It may make SDCC and WC less exciting to look forward to. Now, if SD Comic Fest wants to do it, then 100% I'm on board. It's a whole different vibe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:50:24 PM »

Online SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »
I was actually thinking about SD Comic Fest earlier today.

What I would like to see:

Comic Fest in the winter (February)

Wonder Con in the spring (April)

Comic Con in the summer (July)

Special Edition in the autumn (late October, early November)

I think there would be a demand for that.  Comic Con sells out in like three nano seconds, so I believe plenty of people would go to a show between SDCC and Wonder Con (especially after the pandemic is over and it's not on Thanksgiving).  It would give folks something to look forward to at that time of year at any rate.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:02:13 AM »

What say you?
While I think that 1) I'd personally reserve final judgement until AFTER this year's Turkey-Con, and 2) understand that throwing a Con like this Thanksgiving weekend during a pandemic likely makes the vibe this year a bit atypical, I say absolutely.  I personally think the Thanksgiving weekend works great for my typical fall schedule as a local San Diegan, but if they moved the date to accommodate more folks, thus maybe leaving me out, I'd be fine with that.  I do think a fall Convention may bump heads with NYCC; maybe a post-Thanksgiving/pre-winter Holidays date would work?

Personally I'd dig the SD Comic Fest folks aligning with CCI: maybe make the Special Edition CCI event more of an actual comic con as the Comic Fest peeps seem to want.  CCI can let WonderCon and SDCCI be what they've mostly always been (pop culture festivals) with the SE being a comic-intensive event (though likely w/out DC & Marvel comics, as well as others?).  May the Comic Fest folks can utilize the CCI contacts/infrastructure while planning it on their own to make a 'larger-than-they've-been' convention that's still grassroots. 

I personally don't think any of CCI's events take away from the other; they all seem to exist nicely as their own unique events.  I'm excited for a more laidback CCI event for Turkey Con and if they coordinate w/Museum events (maybe convention events by day; Museum events by night) it could be a really awesome experience.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
What about the LA one in fall?
It's not great, I know, but another option to spread them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

What say you?

I say yes!!!

Near Halloween, but not on Halloween.  Maybe like the week before.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »
Yes.  Make it an annual Turkeycon.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
It sounds cool for locals and those fans that live close by. But as for me, living across county. Not good. The summer annual event is good enough for me.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 01:32:36 PM »
NYCC is in the fall. I know that not everyone on the west coast can attend NYCC, but I think that CCI would want to avoid October.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 07:54:37 AM »
Pre-event I'm a no.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »
NYCC is in the fall. I know that not everyone on the west coast can attend NYCC, but I think that CCI would want to avoid October.
Yeah, without knowing explicitly what CCI's intentions are w/Turkey Con, it's hard to know how much that matters.  Meaning, if the intent is mostly a low-key, mostly-locals convention, maybe running up against NYCC isn't that big of a deal.  I suspect CCI wouldn't want to compete on the same weekend, but if NYCC is early Oct. and SDCC SE is late Oct/early Nov AND geared mostly to locals, maybe it's not that big of a deal

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »
They can have all the cons they want, I am only attending SDCC. 

I like variety in going to other cities for other cons.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 10:38:08 AM »
Yeah, without knowing explicitly what CCI's intentions are w/Turkey Con, it's hard to know how much that matters.  Meaning, if the intent is mostly a low-key, mostly-locals convention, maybe running up against NYCC isn't that big of a deal.  I suspect CCI wouldn't want to compete on the same weekend, but if NYCC is early Oct. and SDCC SE is late Oct/early Nov AND geared mostly to locals, maybe it's not that big of a deal

Exactly.  I think that is CCI's goal for Turkeycon.  It's not meant to be comic-con in the fall, it's a small local con.  There's nothing that says that cons can't happen at the same time.  In the past, there's been another con that happens on the same weekend as comic fest in San Diego.  Two cons in the same city at the same time.  I think there is enough demand for two cons 3000 miles apart at roughly the same time.

Personally I'd dig the SD Comic Fest folks aligning with CCI: maybe make the Special Edition CCI event more of an actual comic con as the Comic Fest peeps seem to want.

I think they are already pretty tight.  At least one comic fest meeting has happened at the comic-con museum.  I've been at a comic-con museum event that sequed right into comic fest the next day.  It's not uncommon to see some movers and shakers of CCI attending comic fest.  I've said it before that comic fest punches above it's weight.  People that you see at panels and wait in lines for meets and greets for at comic-con are just there hanging out at comic-fest.

I don't think comic fest wants to be more than it is.  They've said they don't want to go all Hollywood.  The point is to keep it small and tight like comic-con was 30 years ago.  That's their vibe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:52:23 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline nightshade

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 04:13:03 AM »
I would love to see Special Edition merge with San Diego Film Festival.  That, or work in tandem with each other.

Already a growing film festival that does try and cater to more genre/popular fiction.  Talent can double book at each, big movies/studios would be more interested, and offsites would thrive with big crowds. 

The potential to take San Diego Film Fest to Sundance/Tribeca levels is worth it alone. 

San Diego Film Fest would have to be willing to move at least a few weeks later than normal to overlap/combine with future Special Editions.  Early/Mid November usually pretty dead for events, and doesn’t run into NYCC timing.

Offline nightshade

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 04:16:41 AM »
And another suggestion would be to move the location of Special Edition.

Wondercon used to be in San Francisco, and SF doesn’t really have any type of regular con, so could be a great way for CCI to hit San Diego, Anaheim/LA, and SF all in a year.  Maybe they can partner with Lucasfilm which is headquartered in the city, and push a tech angle like South by Southwest.  With Shang Chi, Venom 2, and Matrix 4 all being shot in SF, would have been cool to tease those at SE-SF.

Phoenix could be another intriguing option, as those cons are always well-attended and a great (warm) touristy destination for November
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:24:14 AM by nightshade »