Author Topic: BBC America's Doctor Who 50th Anniversary, Hall H, 12:30pm-1:30pm  (Read 19668 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Doctor Who at SDCC 2013
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 07:01:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeap, Dr. Who was on Sunday last year and it was right after the Fringe Farewell panel and Supernatural panel @ Hall H respectively.

Just to give you an idea of how insane the queues are:
I decided to begin queuing (in full cosplay) at 2am and assumed that I'd be pretty ahead in line. BOY WAS I SO WRONG. Apparently, people had already started to queue at 9pm the night before, and by the time I headed down to the Convention Centre the line had already curled allll the way to the walkway facing the sea by the Hilton. Just so you know, most of them were Dr. Who fans, judging by their outfits. :)

By 5am there were people in the park-like area even further down. But once they start making people stand up and compress the lines, it got much better and we ended up in the first 1/3 of the room. :)

My husband was one of the people showing up around 5 am. He was interested in Fringe. He said he was seated about halfway back in the room.

Offline taigirl87

• Room 6BCF
    • Two Married Geeks
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 07:55:37 AM »
Make sure you're following the Nerd Machine on Twitter then.  From what I remember, last year's panel was announced early Wednesday morning (day of Preview Night) and put on sale shortly after.  I was on the Amtrak heading to the con at that point and didn't hear about it until after getting into San Diego (by which tickets had come and gone).  I doubt I would have changed my Saturday plans for it (since for me, Marvel Cinematic Universe > everything else), but it was rather disappointing to not have even had the chance to consider it.
Thanks will do! though I would love to see anything Marvel Cinematic Universe...but with D23 shortly after SDCC, I'm not going to get my hopes up(this is one of those times where i say $%&* Disney...which is major coming from me, because my love for Disney is probably only slightly greater than Doctor Who...well, some days it is ha ha)

Yeap, Dr. Who was on Sunday last year and it was right after the Fringe Farewell panel and Supernatural panel @ Hall H respectively.

Just to give you an idea of how insane the queues are:
I decided to begin queuing (in full cosplay) at 2am and assumed that I'd be pretty ahead in line. BOY WAS I SO WRONG. Apparently, people had already started to queue at 9pm the night before, and by the time I headed down to the Convention Centre the line had already curled allll the way to the walkway facing the sea by the Hilton. Just so you know, most of them were Dr. Who fans, judging by their outfits. :)

By 5am there were people in the park-like area even further down. But once they start making people stand up and compress the lines, it got much better and we ended up in the first 1/3 of the room. :)

I have told my husband that he shouldn't plan on sleeping in the hotel room that night. And a group of us on the badgeholders site are already talking about getting in line together for it. I hate lines, but if I am going to get in one, then I will get in early so I won't be disappointed.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline PlanningMackem

• Freebie Table
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
Jenna Louise Coleman was on a chat show over here in the UK on Friday night and there was a mention of conventions - she said "I've not done one yet, but I'm going to San Diego for Comic Con!" and then they chatted about it for a little while. She mentioned Andrew Garfield turning up dressed as Spiderman, so she's obviously been briefed!

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
This is the main reason we are going to SDCC! We LOVE doctor who. This will be the only panel we line up for!

And if David Tennant is there too....yowzer!!!!

Offline Bones

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 05:08:10 AM »
 I am pretty sure that when BBC UK say "massive presence" , they are more than likely talking LOTS and LOTS of merchandise in the BBC America booth.....

Im sure (as posted earlier) Matt, Jenna, the showrunners Moffat and Skinner will all be there .. YAY!! (Still to be confirmed  >:D ) ..

However, for anyone else representing the show, that is additional costs to BBC America/UK, which is not financially viable for them to do..

However (again!!  ::) ).. We can hope for a lot of "private" stalls/booths to pay to bring out any actors ... they would charge a fee for photos/autographs to recoup costs..

Hopefully Im wrong and there is lots of actors etc linked to Doctor Who coming out to Comiccon in July... and if they do, tap the tall weird-looking Aussie guy in line and say "You were wrong" .. 'cause I would be just as happy as everyone else.  :) 8)

--

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Doctor Who at SDCC 2013
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
I'm hoping for a whole bunch of Classic Who, representing, to be honest - a celebratory panel, 'Firefly'-style would be nice, too.

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline comicbookgal09

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 06:56:21 AM »
I hope it is more than just a panel. I would love to see David Tennent and Matt Smith in a panel together. I don't think that Iwill get up for many panels but this one I think I will. I just hope it is not on Sunday because I have to fly back to New Jersey that day and not many flights work with my family's schedule. I hope they do something like a Doctor who costume contest like they did for the kids who dressed as Iron Man last year. I really think they could make a bunch of stuff over the different days or do one day devoted to it like how they used to do Star Wars Day on Fridays.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
Don't forget that Chris Hardwick does his Nerdist live podcast show offsite and he is a major Dr. Who fan and has had Matt Smith , Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill on his show or hosted them quite a few times. I would buy the tickets for the Nerdist show when they become available.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »
I'm new to Who and would love to be able to attend something!

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
I'm new to Who and would love to be able to attend something!

I was too and last year had to skip the Dr Who panel last year after the Fringe panel. But now I'm all caught up and can't wait to go to a panel. I even had tickets to the Nerdist panel a couple of years ago and had to give them to someone else, because Matt Smith and Karen Gillan was on the show and I did not want to get spoiled
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
I was too and last year had to skip the Dr Who panel last year after the Fringe panel. But now I'm all caught up and can't wait to go to a panel. I even had tickets to the Nerdist panel a couple of years ago and had to give them to someone else, because Matt Smith and Karen Gillan was on the show and I did not want to get spoiled

Yeah, I think like anything it'll depend on the time/day and what else I want to see.

Offline taigirl87

• Room 6BCF
    • Two Married Geeks
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
Don't forget that Chris Hardwick does his Nerdist live podcast show offsite and he is a major Dr. Who fan and has had Matt Smith , Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill on his show or hosted them quite a few times. I would buy the tickets for the Nerdist show when they become available.

I would definitely buy tickets for this :) Well, to be honest, id probably buy tickets to the nerdist anyways, regardless of who is there. :)

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
For fans of Dr. Who, there is a Dr. Who convention in Southern California every year. It just happened for 2013, but info about 2014 is already up. It sold out in advance this year, but it's relatively small, I think around 3600 people. I haven't been personally but a lot of friends say really good things about it. The con is going to have its 25th anniversary so it's well established. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taigirl87

• Room 6BCF
    • Two Married Geeks
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 11:43:19 PM »
For fans of Dr. Who, there is a Dr. Who convention in Southern California every year. It just happened for 2013, but info about 2014 is already up. It sold out in advance this year, but it's relatively small, I think around 3600 people. I haven't been personally but a lot of friends say really good things about it. The con is going to have its 25th anniversary so it's well established. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wanted to go this year but didnt have the time to go :(

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
I went to Gallifrey one this year and it was fantastic!  It is a small convention, but the main panel room does fill up for the big panels.  Sylvester McCoy was hilarious! So was Ben Browder.  Freema was there too and so were many of the people who made the series both old and new. 

They limit the number of memberships to about 3500.  Next year's membership goes on sale on March 8th.