Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214711 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #885 on: July 15, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
The Eater website recommends places to eat and drink around the convention with a focus on specials:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:07:09 AM by dkd »

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #886 on: July 22, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
I would really like it if they offered like a "Eats Around The Con" Delivery service... someone not tied to the restaurants, on bike, who can pick up orders and deliver them to the hotels in the area. Something you can just schedule.. or like a Eats Coordinator, lol... because as much as i want to always try the restaurants on the Eats list, its the lines that kill it for me.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #887 on: Today at 01:03:48 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #887 on: July 22, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »
Joe's Crab Shack saved it for us when we camped for Hall H.  Everything else was closed or closing, at least the stuff I would want to eat at on the convention side. 

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #888 on: July 22, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »
I would really like it if they offered like a "Eats Around The Con" Delivery service... someone not tied to the restaurants, on bike, who can pick up orders and deliver them to the hotels in the area. Something you can just schedule.. or like a Eats Coordinator, lol... because as much as i want to always try the restaurants on the Eats list, its the lines that kill it for me.

They have Apps. Grub hub or Doordash.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #889 on: July 22, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
We twice ate at the Provisional Kitchen, for breakfast and again for dinner. Their flatbreads and charcuterie boards  are highly recommended

Loved the Yuca fries at Volxano Rabbit

Finally tried Bandar and was disappointed. Quantity does not equal quality here. The ride had no taste and the chicken was dry.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #890 on: July 23, 2019, 04:02:32 PM »
Is there a directory so everyone can see what the majority of ppl on here like?   It would be easier than scrolling through 50+ pages. It could have the usual sections like food quality, price, and whether or not it is Comic Con themed menu, decor, etc.  I tried starting a Google sheet but I am not familiar with the program beyond the basics and my formatting is pretty sad atm.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #891 on: July 23, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
Is there a directory so everyone can see what the majority of ppl on here like?   It would be easier than scrolling through 50+ pages. It could have the usual sections like food quality, price, and whether or not it is Comic Con themed menu, decor, etc.  I tried starting a Google sheet but I am not familiar with the program beyond the basics and my formatting is pretty sad atm.
I have been compiling a list from this thread for the past few years

I didn't get a chance to add the official restaurant guide numbers this year, but will update it next year. I did go through the list and move any that closed to the "Now closed" tab. The "Checked" column has the last time I looked up the website. It should be mostly up to date through this page.
Ang

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #892 on: July 23, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
Earl of Sandwich opened up across the street from the Ralph’s.   Had lunch there 3 times during the week and would highly recommend!   

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #893 on: July 24, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
The Butchers Cut - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I always do one fancy dinner at comic con every year and usually I'm disappointed.  This year I scored big.  Butchers Cut was awesome.  Service was a bit slow for a steakhouse and atmosphere was loud but hey, it's comic con, that can be expected.

Outside of that, value was amazing.  For my steak aficionados,  all of their cuts are Prime AND dry aged AND cheap! 37$ Dry Aged NY cheap.  68$ Dry aged 28oz Tomahawk cheap!!  I couldn't believe the prices.  For those of you who don't know, finding dry aged steaks at under 70$ at a steak house is pretty rare and often times reach into the 100$s.   

I was skeptical all the way up til I took a bite of my steak and I was floored.  Absolutely fantastic. 

And it's in the heart of the gaslamp right on 5th between Market and G st. 

And the cherry on top?! we went at 6pm on Friday, with no reservations and walked in with a party of 2.  Just walked in, no wait!

PS. Whiskey list was legit!
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #894 on: July 24, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »
I went to a bunch of new-to-me restaurants. Most were good, but there are two I give my highest recommendation to:

Simon's Cafe and Catering (1st & Market). Breakfast/Brunch spot--I'm normally not a fan of breakfast-type food, but this place fit the bill in every way I needed it to. I need a solid first meal to start the day and this place was open at 7 AM (normally closed weekends but they were open for Comic-Con), uses high-quality whole-food ingredients, and has gluten free bread as an option. Not packed, easy to order and be in and out in no time. The prices were very reasonable as well--$9.50 for a 3 egg omelette w/ 3 fillings and a side of potatoes. Everything was perfectly cooked.

Sadaf (5th & E). Persian restaurant with great food, looks like a family owned restaurant and they were very nice and welcoming. Lunch prices are cheaper than dinner for the same thing. I recommend the lamb shank. I also tried the same thing at Bandar a block away which wasn't bad, but still found Sadaf to be better and cheaper.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #895 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »

I was able to order take out for the Hall H line.  I highly suggest that route.  Just place the order and wait as long as it takes.  No hurry, because we're waiting in the Hall H line anyway.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #896 on: March 29, 2022, 09:30:58 PM »
Time to dust off this thread.

I have been compiling a list from this thread for the past few years - it's located here:

I need to review what's still open and what isn't and see if I am missing any from the last pages (LOL - I am not sure how I used to track that...)

Hope to see some new recommendations in the coming months!
Ang

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #897 on: March 30, 2022, 02:13:04 PM »
Anybody got the Eats .pdf from 2019 or 2018? I'm (finally) getting around to putting together my YouTube for all my SDCC adventures and i want to do a tidbit on "What to Eat! For 2019... cause let's be honest,  some of them may not still be open post-pando.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #898 on: March 30, 2022, 05:30:53 PM »
Anybody got the Eats .pdf from 2019 or 2018? I'm (finally) getting around to putting together my YouTube for all my SDCC adventures and i want to do a tidbit on "What to Eat! For 2019... cause let's be honest,  some of them may not still be open post-pando.
Are you talking about the official one from SDCC? I might have it.
Ang

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #899 on: March 30, 2022, 07:06:51 PM »
I don't have a separate Eats for 2019, but it is included in the Quick Guide.