Author Topic: 2013 All Offers for Condos for Rent / Condo Discussion Thread  (Read 53372 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
2013 All Offers for Condos for Rent / Condo Discussion Thread
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:45:24 PM »
Please put all solicitations for properties in this thread.  This boards admins/mod's have not vetted & give no guarantee of goodness.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:22:03 PM by Zero »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
Re: All Offers of Condos for Rent go Here (in this thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
I've been using air BnB lately and we've found some great apartment rentals for cheaper than hotel costs.

Granted this is comic con so things might be a little more expensive than random getaways but it might still be good to check them out. I looked today and saw a nice loft around market or G street and 5th ave that was open during the con.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline gbukacheski

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
We were going to go this route when there were a bunch of us going. You have to directly contact the owners regarding Comic-Con week as they raise their rates for that week. On average, we found it to be a minimum of double the price of hotels that week (for a small place, 1 bedroom or loft - more $ for bigger). It seems good for a group who want to cook and not deal with hotel issues, and don't mind the extra cost.

Offline aodmisery

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
We were going to go this route when there were a bunch of us going. You have to directly contact the owners regarding Comic-Con week as they raise their rates for that week. On average, we found it to be a minimum of double the price of hotels that week (for a small place, 1 bedroom or loft - more $ for bigger). It seems good for a group who want to cook and not deal with hotel issues, and don't mind the extra cost.

when you say double of hotels do you mean like 300-350 a night? or more?

for those that have used airbnb do i get charged the full price right away when booking or is it like a hotel were i dont get charged till i check in?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:43:01 PM by aodmisery »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
when i used airbnb in NYC, i was charged for the entire stay when i booked. there was a promise of a refund if i canceled within a certain time frame.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »

for those that have used airbnb do i get charged the full price right away when booking or is it like a hotel were i dont get charged till i check in?

Refund policy varies by the person posting the rental. Some offer full refunds, some partial and some no refunds at all. Read the fine print.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline gbukacheski

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

One of the places (sleeps 2 - 3) was $3500 for Wednesday to Sunday (checkout Monday), another was $7500 (but that one could sleep 8), then were a few one bdrms/lofts (sleeps 2 - 3 (3rd on floor/couch) for $2100 that were a mile to 2 miles away from the CC.

Here's another reply for a 1 bedroom I got that sums it up: "Thank you for your inquiry! Comic Con Week is the most premiere time of downtown San Diego and our location is only ONE BLOCK from the San Diego Convention Center!  Currently those dates are open, the rate that we offer for that week is $550 per night, plus tax and a cleaning fee of $150, with a minimum 7 night stay.  We usually book our properties a year in advance, so please let us know right away if you would like to secure your dates. Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon!!"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
but then there's a loft close to the ball park for 4 people, 6 blocks to the con for $1408 (cleaning and airbnb fee included)
split 4 ways is $352 per person for 7 days

or this on which is 'a few blocks to the trolley' at $1500 for 5 days for 4 people..

obviously I have not done any real research into these places- so read all the infor etc...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:18:12 AM by alyssa »

Offline gbukacheski

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
but then there's a loft close to the ball park for 4 people, 6 blocks to the con for $1408 (cleaning and airbnb fee included)
split 4 ways is $352 per person for 7 days

or this on which is 'a few blocks to the trolley' at $1500 for 5 days for 4 people..

obviously I have not done any real research into these places- so read all the infor etc...

I just contacted the first one, here's what they sent back (within minutes I might add...very impressive):

"I’m asking $3,500 for that week, based upon what downtown hotels are charging. Please let me know if you’re still interested, and keep in mind that it is a 2 bedroom, 1,100 square foot condo with an additional pull out couch. "

This is a better price than the ones I was getting, but to re-iterate Alyssa, do the research and also contact them.

Keep in mind I'm not poo-poo-ing anything, this is a good option for some people, I'm just sharing my research.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
<snip>, but to re-iterate Alyssa, do the research and also contact them.

Keep in mind I'm not poo-poo-ing anything, this is a good option for some people, I'm just sharing my research.

i think you mis-understand my motives... I have no desire to get a condo,.  I am simply trying to point out that not all condos are as expensive as you're implying.
For example, the second condo I listed would work out to be a little over $300/person & yes, they did have an inflated rate for sdcc weekend listed in their calendar. No, it's not downtown *but* it is on the trolley (according to the description).
I think the key is to contact a bunch of different places, that way you don't waste your time waiting for a reply on place that doesn't work for you.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
I've used airbnb (well, stayed w/ someone that used it). The rates can and will vary greatly. Not everyone will have the ridiculous mark up either because they don't care or because they don't know until after the fact. Like with anything else, research it thoroughly and make sure you understand what you are commiting yourself to and keep all your documentation.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Jeff

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
I just contacted the first one, here's what they sent back (within minutes I might add...very impressive):

"I’m asking $3,500 for that week, based upon what downtown hotels are charging. Please let me know if you’re still interested, and keep in mind that it is a 2 bedroom, 1,100 square foot condo with an additional pull out couch. "

This is a better price than the ones I was getting, but to re-iterate Alyssa, do the research and also contact them.

Yep I tried to get it to, and got the same response! 

Offline gbukacheski

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
i think you mis-understand my motives... I have no desire to get a condo,.  I am simply trying to point out that not all condos are as expensive as you're implying.

I think the key is to contact a bunch of different places, that way you don't waste your time waiting for a reply on place that doesn't work for you.

Not at all, I understand you're just trying to help out the community (which I GREATLY appreciate as a noob), as am I by sharing my experiences.
Despite that, I agree, definitely contact a bunch of places. I contacted 16 before I gave up on the idea (I just counted my emails  :) ). This was before Christmas though, and I'm sure there are some better deals out there now.

I've used airbnb (well, stayed w/ someone that used it). The rates can and will vary greatly. Not everyone will have the ridiculous mark up either because they don't care or because they don't know until after the fact. Like with anything else, research it thoroughly and make sure you understand what you are commiting yourself to and keep all your documentation.

I think where I went wrong was mentioning Comic-Con in my emails to the owners. It is possible it didn't occur to some of them until i mentioned it. Perhaps a better idea would be to ask for a quote without mentioning the Con, then try to jump on securing the place before they realize what's going on that week.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
no worries abt the quazi hi-jack it's all condo related

oh, and I absolutely agree with you, don't' say 'I'm coming for comic con' rather just the dates and I'd even go so far as to reference the quoted amount on the web site. 
I also think the cheaper places will be farther away but as long as they're on the trolley, it's all good.  I think the trolley is $15 for the weekend.

Offline Knight-Industries131082

• Exhibit Hall
Re: All Offers of Condos for Rent go Here Or discussion of getting a condo
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
Hi everyone I'm new in the forum, was wondering if someone can give me advise for rent a hotel or motel nice but cheap this because I'm possibly going to San Diego comic con on July any help would be appreciated, thanks!