Hall of Records (from years gone by) > 2013 SDCC Programming and Panels

Hidden Gems 2013

(1/5) > >>

Angology:
Just starting a post for some of the hidden gems within the schedule. We are all excited about the big panels, but there may be some smaller ones that you have discovered that deserve attention.

For me:
The X-Files with creator Chris Carter-Room 5AB Friday 1:45pm - 2:45pm
Making Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary-Room 6BCF Friday  5:45pm - 6:45pm

I have a conflict for the Roger Rabbit panel, but I think it bears mentioning. I haven't completely scoured the schedule, so I am sure there are many more.

Edit-found another already: Spotlight on Bruce Timm-Room 5AB Friday 2:45pm - 3:45pm

perc2100:
I think the coolest 'hidden gem' of SD CCI 2013 is this one:

--- Quote ---The Anatomy of Superhero Film Music: Bringing a Comic Book to Life

Leading Hollywood film directors and composers-including composer Marco Beltrami with director James Mangold (The Wolverine), composer Brian Tyler with director Shane Black (Iron Man 3), composer Henry Jackman (X-Men: First Class, Captain America: Winter Soldier) with director Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class), composer Christopher Lennertz (Marvel: Agent Carter), composer John Debney (Iron Man 2, Sin City) and music supervisor Dave Jordan (The Avengers)-discuss the creation of the musical voice behind the hero. Following in tradition with a long-running franchise, the panelists will explore the challenges faced when bringing a comic book character to life and giving that character a voice. Additionally, composers will discuss working with directors and how they work together to convey the story of the character. Composers will discuss creating a theme, transforming the theme throughout the storyline, and following the often uphill battle that our heroes travel. All panelists will show examples of their work. With Q&A moderated by Ray Costa (award-winning journalist/ CEO of Costa Communications, a leading film music public relations firm).
Thursday July 18, 2013 10:30am - 11:30am
Room 6A
--- End quote ---

There are some serious film composer 'heavy-weights' on this panel, and being a musician/music teacher this is the type of really fascinating stuff I geek out over.  The Hall H & Ballroom 20 panels will be fun, but you'll be able to read every relevant quote + a frame-by-frame recap of the footage, online Saturday night: plus, the stars answer 'safe' questions with fairly vapid answers that were carefully crafted by studio publicists.  This type of panel could get a bit more in depth than the average kinda-lame discussions in bigger panels (which I also love), and I'm really excited for this hidden gem

Angology:
Along the same vein as the above, but for television:

The Character of Music
Composer and executive poducer teams discuss the dynamics of music in film and television. Bear McCreary and Jonathan Steinberg (Black Sails), Brian Reitzell and Bryan Fuller (Hannibal), and Dino Meneghin and Jeff Davis (Teen Wolf) will all discuss their working relationship, how music plays a character in their stories and the intense process of scoring their projects. The panel will be moderated by director of film and TV relations Anne Cecere of BMI and Chandler Poling, president of White Bear PR and feature a Q&A. Attendees will get a sneak peek into the work and receive fun giveaways.

Friday July 19, 2013 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Room 32AB

alyssa:
for me this one sounds fascinating!
Saturday
11:30AM — 12:30PM   Inside the Writer's Room: Earth's Mightiest TV Writers Assemble
Room 24ABC
Meet the writers, producers, and executives who make genre entertainment what it is today, and get an incredible insider look from the scribes behind some of today's hottest genre shows as they share their candid thoughts on how to make the series we love (and sometimes loathe). Find out the highly classified secrets to getting TV shows made and how to break in and break out in today's highly competitive broadcast environment; the deep dark secrets (and low-calorie snacks) of the writer's room; and why network executives actually care about what you say on message boards. No canned speeches and press releases here; get the straight scoop from television's most talented and outspoken writers and producers, including Javier Grillo-Marxuach (The Middleman, Lost, Helix), Ashley E. Miller (Fringe, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Amy Berg (Eureka, TNT Geena Davis pilot), Steve Melching (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Transformers: Prime), Gabrielle Stanton (Haven, The Vampire Chronicles, Arrow), Jose Molina (Firefly, Sleepy Hollow), Sarah Watson (Parenthood, The Middleman), Mark A. Altman (Femme Fatales, Castle), and surprise guests. Moderator Chris Parnell (senior VP, drama development, Sony Pictures Television) moderates.

queenofsarab:
I was actually just about to come post the TV writers one, too! I think that's the one I'm most excited for on Saturday. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version