Author Topic: Cosplay chat  (Read 95556 times)

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
Re: Cosplay chat
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You guys looks terrific! And think of it this way... those costumes will be new for SDCC 2020!

Thanks.  We also did a Stranger Things group, but we likely won't wear them at SDCC.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
sdcomicfest #Luigi is such a good driver he made it through LA traffic in record time.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 01:32:20 PM »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
Any good references on creation of armor?  Or blogs/articles/resources folks can direct me to to look into the creation of armor pieces?  I gots an idea for next year's SDCC...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2019, 07:29:26 PM »
Any good references on creation of armor?  Or blogs/articles/resources folks can direct me to to look into the creation of armor pieces?  I gots an idea for next year's SDCC...

Kamui Cosplay, Evil Ted, and Punished Props are my go-to resources for armor. They teach you techniques on working with foam and also provide cheap patterns on their site. Definitely check out their Youtube channels!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2019, 09:23:09 PM »

My daughter agrees with jazzyj's suggestions and adds:

"So yeah in addition to Kamui, EvilTed, and Punished Props I'd say SKS Props and Kinpatsu....Kamui, SKS, and Evil Ted are the best for armor fabrication using worbla and foam....Punished focuses on resin and 3D printing.....And the best places to buy foam are TNT Cosplay Supply and SKS props....Kinpatsu is also awesome for armor but also clothing"

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »

I would HIGHLY recommend watching Youtube videos for Storm the Castle. They're easily found from a simple Google search. He provides instructionals, a FREE pattern to print and cut out and tells you what products and tools you should use for your project. Most of all, I love his positive attitude.

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Anyone cosplay Firefly? Needing some ideas for Gina Torres' character, Zoe Washburne. This will be my first year attending so any advice would be helpful. :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
kpbs 📸: Christopher Canole Comic Con looks a lot different this year. You won’t find the crowds near the Convention Center. But Christopher Canole AKA “Dude Vader” made sure the cosplaying still made an appearance. Are you checking out Comic Con@Home?

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
i09's The Best (at Home) Cosplay From San Diego Comic-Con 2020

San Diego Comic-Con is in full swing, only this time it’s from the comfort of our living rooms. But amazing cosplay waits for no convention center! In lieu of our normal compilation videos, we asked cosplayers to send us clips showing off their tributes to our favorite shows, films, comics, and video games. And y’all freakin’ delivered.

Check out io9's video above that highlights some truly fantastic at-home cosplay submitted by our readers for SDCC 2020. Whether it’s Iron Fist and Ryu showing off slick moves in a garden, Merida from Brave having some socially distant fun at a castle, or a couple of Skeksis from The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance doing chores around the house—they’re all outstanding. Be sure to tell us your favorites in the comments, because we’re seriously having a hard time choosing!

We want to thank all the cosplayers who sent us videos for our at-home cosplay video. We got submissions from all over the world, including folks from India, Denmark, South Africa, England, Egypt, Brazil, and more! These cosplayers have made our Comic-Con feel so much brighter. Be sure to check out each and every one of them online—we’ve highlighted their Instagram or other social media platforms in the video.

Offline TiWi

• Sails Pavilion
  • Crazy trips, healthy food and good sleep at least
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
Hi, this year I want to sew a cosplay costume by myself for the first time. Do you have any  recommendations on useful forums with DIY tips. Especially I need to find a sewing machine good for such a rookie as I am.
just smile

Offline TiWi

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2020, 08:09:22 AM »
Sorry for writing one reply after another, but I've got some really useful information. I want to share it with you, in case someone would like to sew the costume on there own, too. 
Here is a good video with sewing basics
Here is a comparison of sewing machines, if you are looking for one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And finally a nice forum with some useful tips and tricks on making costumes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope it would be useful.
just smile

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »
Hi You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !!  This is a great time to learn about sewing!  Avoid crowds and have your cosplay perfect by next summer!

My daughter has made many costumes, as well as props, corsets, and armor.  She searches youtube for videos once she has an idea what she wants to make.  There are also costume specific groups on FB and other sites, for instance she follows a FB group that makes Wonder Woman costumes.  Good luck with your searches and hopefully your learning curve won't be too steep!

Offline TiWi

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2020, 09:15:07 PM »
Hi You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !!  This is a great time to learn about sewing!  Avoid crowds and have your cosplay perfect by next summer!

My daughter has made many costumes, as well as props, corsets, and armor.  She searches youtube for videos once she has an idea what she wants to make.  There are also costume specific groups on FB and other sites, for instance she follows a FB group that makes Wonder Woman costumes.  Good luck with your searches and hopefully your learning curve won't be too steep!

Thank you! I'll check FB groups tonight, I should have done it before ;D
just smile

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
It's been a while since this thread has seen some activity, but I finally purchased a 3d printer and got it up and running.  I've been resisting 3d printing for the longest time since I got into cosplay about 20 years ago and I was stubbornly sticking to old methods of prop making.  However I've been enjoying the printer and the tinkering that comes with it.  I'll have some new props for SW Celebration.  Nothing new planned for SDCC though.

Offline CarrieD

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »
I studied costume design in college and hadn't sewn for about 20 years. During the past 2 years I have been making masks for family and friends and scrub caps for my friend who is an ICU nurse. She asked me to make her an Outlander costume and it is a bit daunting as I haven't make a dress in forever. I have made the red coats simular to what that the English officers wear in the show in college so I just need to get back into it and get the material and draft patterns.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
SWCO 2017
FanExpo Canada 2018
Montreal CC  2016, 2019, 2022
Ottawa CC 2016, 2017