Author Topic: Anime Conji 2013 - San Diego  (Read 5307 times)

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
Anime Conji 2013 - San Diego
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
April 12th-14th, 2013
Town & Country Resort, San Diego (near Fashion Valley Mall)

Regular Pre-Registration    $40
Single Day Badge   $25
Child (Ages 6 ~ 12)   $25
Children Under Age 6   Free

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From their About page:
The newest project managed by the SPJA, Anime Conji (AC) is an annual convention held in San Diego at the Town and Country Resort and Conference Center. Now in its third year, Anime Conji has rapidly grown to become the premiere anime and Japanese pop culture event in the San Diego area, bringing together cosplayers, gamers, and anime fans for a weekend celebrating the best in Japanese culture and entertainment.

Events include karaoke, eGaming and Table Top Gaming, the Masquerade, AMV contest, Maid Café, dances, concerts and more! Other attractions include the Exhibit Hall, video rooms, industry panels, and special guests including voice actors, artists, and leading members of the anime and manga industry.

The immediate area surrounding the convention facilities offers an excellent setting for cosplay photography, with gardens, patios, and unique architecture creating a dramatic backdrop for professional cosplayers and photographers.

Anime Conji brings the worlds of anime, manga, and Japanese fashion and pop culture together, presenting a fan-driven and highly interactive convention, in a convenient hotel and convention center environment. The SPJA is proud to present this innovative event as the newest addition to its roster of annual conventions, which also includes Anime Expo and Project Anime.

Is anyone planning to go?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:53:10 PM by kappolo »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Anime Conji 2013 - San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
might go just to check it out on saturday. How is it? I've only gone to comic book conventions how does it compare?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:26:23 PM »

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
I've never been either. I might go on saturday as well, if I can find someone to go with

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
I went to Anime Conji last year, and it was also held at the Town and Country Resort.  I actually signed up to be a one-day volunteer, just to check it out, but by the end of my 8-hour shift that day, I was promoted to staff.  It was the weirdest thing!  The details on exactly why that happened will be omitted though, ha ha. @__@;  I was running the Con Suite and helping out with any food-related events that happened there.

My initial impressions were that, if you're used to large conventions, you'll find this one to be very, very small but intimate.  It's kind of cozy in a way.  My first anime convention was actually Anime Expo nearly thirteen years ago (I still attend that one, even if going to AX and Comic-Con might break my bank account sometimes), so whenever I go to a smaller anime convention, it just feels... well, too small!  Ha ha. 

In general, I think that anime conventions are a lot like comic conventions, except that the comics, or "manga," are mostly from Japan.  The programming is thus reflected in that way as well, so you'll see panels about trying to break it into the anime voice acting industry and the like.  I've noticed that you will likely see a lot more people--at least compared to Comic-Con's overall percentage--cosplaying as their favorite anime, manga, or video game characters.

Some of my favorite events at anime conventions include concerts--in Anime Conji's case, they don't have really big Japanese pop or rock concerts, but there are smaller, local bands that perform--and the Anime Music Video (AMV) contest.  While you're at Anime Conji, definitely check that out if you can.  Some videos are well-done and really funny!  There's the Masquerade contest too.

I also recommend checking out their programming schedule on the website and seeing if you're interested in a few panels.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes if you attend.  ^-^/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:15:59 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Thanks Zero for all the information. I am trying to see if any friend is coming with me ;)
I hope to go!

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
For who already went, do you know if the anime screenings are sub or dub?

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
For who already went, do you know if the anime screenings are sub or dub?

I haven't been to Anime Conji, but I've been to Anime Expo and PMX and both specify sub or dub on their program schedules (usually a S or D in parentheses next to the title).  Given that AX actually bought Anime Conji in the last year or so, I'd be very surprised if they didn't follow that model.

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
They don't specify in their program

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »
That's weird--every anime con schedule I've ever looked at has specified sub or dub.  Maybe you could try asking over on the AX forums?  There's a Conji thread in the off topic section that seems to have people who've been before.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:20:21 PM »
There's usually a mixture of both subbed and dubbed anime at anime conventions, but alas, the Anime Conji programming schedule really doesn't say!  How strange.  @__@!

I looked through the website, and the only contact e-mail I found was You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Perhaps you can trying e-mailing them and seeing if they get back to you.

^-^;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »
Thanks Zero,
I have emailed, and sent a tweet to them few days ago. Still no answer.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
Thanks Zero,
I have emailed, and sent a tweet to them few days ago. Still no answer.

Since Anime Conji is only a week away, I suppose they might be really busy right now.  @__@;  I have a couple of friends who staff for Anime Conji, so let me see if I can ask around to help you out.  Ha ha.   No guarantees, but it might be worth a shot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:27:17 PM by Zero »

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
Since Anime Conji is only a week away, I suppose they might be really busy right now.  @__@;  I have a couple of frirends who staff for Anime Conji, so let me see if I can ask around to help you out.  Ha ha.   No guarantees, but it might be worth a shot.
Thanks!
I really appreciate it!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Thanks!
I really appreciate it!

So, I asked around...  I have been told that the anime showings at Anime Conji are all subbed.

Hope that helps!

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
Awesome! Thank you!