Author Topic: Motor City Comic Con  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
Motor City Comic Con
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has heard about the cluster that was Motor City Comic Con this weekend, but yikes! Stan Lee and Norman Reedus were both on site and the con was not prepared for the crowds they would draw. All the roads and freeways were shut down from the traffic, and people that preordered tickets were just lumped together with those that had not which meant waiting hours on line in the sun (I have a nice burn), and many of those who had preordered couldn't get in because the building reached capacity. It was nuts. Also it was far too packed inside from this too. Here is what the line looked like from 3/4 of the way around the outside of the building:

We walked from a mile away where we left the car in a random parking lot. And we were in full costume! We debuted our new zelda costumes which were very successful. I have some minor repairs to make before SDCC, and some additions as well. We still had fun, and I got to meet Cary Elwes who was super nice and gave me a hug when I admitted a longtime crush. All things considered we had a blast, and luckily we had passes for the whole weekend because the day we dressed up we saw nothing of the con between that and the crowds! Hopefully they fix the problems for next year if they are going to have a bigger guest list again - last year nothing like this happened.

And I'll leave you with my favorite picture from Saturday. A little super smash bros anyone?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:24:50 PM by Abunai »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 8524
Re: Motor City Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:43:20 AM »
Wow, that sounds like a mess! Is this the first year for this Con? Clearly they have some growing pains.

Your costumes look great! And it's so helpful to get that test run before SDCC.

Stan Lee had a busy weekend! He must have been at your Con on Saturday, because on Sunday he was at the San Jose Wow Comics Fest here in California.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:56:06 AM »

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
If only it was the first year... People probably would have been more understanding. But it's the 24th year! Usually there are around 15ish thousand people for the weekend, this year it topped 30! And 18k were there on Saturday alone.

And wow, I can't imagine keeping Stan Lee's schedule, especially at his age!