Author Topic: IT'S OFFICIAL! I was just elected delegate to Democratic National Convention!  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
It appears my two-decade-long dream has finally come true.

Both I and my friend Laura were elected as delegates pledged to Joe Biden at the upcoming 2020 Democratic National Convention scheduled to take place in Milwaukee on August 17 (subject to Covid-19 conditions).

Actually we both knew a week ago this past Wednesday that we were going, but I wanted to make sure until it was official from our state party before I announce it.  Four years ago I was fourth in line to join the DNC in Philadelphia, but this was contingent that Hillary Clinton won at least four delegates in my congressional district, alas she only won three so I didn't go last time.

So in the California primary March 3, Biden won two delegates in our district.  Both Laura and I put in our candidate applications before the March 3 deadline and there were seven of us running for two delegate slots.  There were four women and three men running.  Biden was to get one female and one male delegate from our district.

When I saw Laura was also running, I asked her if she would be interested in running together with me as a slate.  She accepted.  Laura is the District Director to our congressman, U.S. Rep. Harley Rouda.  One little secret in successful campaigns for delegate is that high profile people or people who work for high profile people are usually the ones who win or at least come in second place in delegate races.  So I was able to run with her hoping that assuming she won, her coattails would also help me win as well.  I did not know the other five candidates running, I knew by looking them up on the Internet, one was a supplier of PPE to front line workers, the other a member of the Westminster School Board.

So I put up both a website from Go Daddy and a Facebook page promoting our candidacies.  I came up with the name The Biden True Blue Slate.  At first we let all our Facebook friends know we were running and once information was provided that the district-level delegate selection caucuses would be conducted online-virtually, I paid for Facebook advertising to reach out to people in our congressional district and mailed out over a hundred snail-mail flyers to people in our district eligible to vote for us in the caucuses.  The caucuses were held June 5-7.

Then on June 10, we got the results from the state party indicating we won!  Here are the results.

Laura Oatman 74*
Andrew Gallagher 58*
Jamison Power 13
Jacqueline Westman 11
Tammy Tran 10
Linda Moulton-Patterson 9
Matthew Bermingham 2
*winner

In the E-mail we received, we are also to attend a state delegation meeting to pick at-large delegates for Biden and Bernie Sanders who won delegates statewide in addition to district-wide delegates.  I'm guessing delegates for Michael Bloomberg and Elizabeth Warren will also be joining us as well.  The California delegation will be staying at a hotel near Chicago's O'Hare Airport, about 80 miles from Milwaukee's Fiserv Forum.  The DNC will provide shuttle buses to transport us delegates.

Of course, all of this is subject to the Covid-19 situation in the third week of August.  We don't know if anything is going to be happening in Milwaukee.  I know there was some talk of making the convention a one-night event in which we would meet at the outdoor football stadium where the Green Bay Packers play in which us delegates will be seated six feet apart and that Joe Biden and his running mate will be making their acceptance speeches there, but so far everything is up in the air.  Another possibility is all 4,000 of us delegates will meet virtually at home on our personal computers in a massive Zoom meeting in which we will conduct our delegate business there.

Anyway, that's what's going on!  I attach copies of our election results and our E-mail confirming our elections, as well as links to our website and Facebook page.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [/img]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:01:31 AM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
That's great You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ! Please let us know how it goes!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Wow, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login this is fantastic!!  Congratulations!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
That's pretty awesome! Congratulations, @Andrew Costa Mesa !
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

• Pre-Registration
An update from the Democratic Convention.  While disappointing, I'm not surprised.  I expected it and it's for our good.

SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
Thought about you when they made the announcement. As someone who lives in Milwaukee, it's a nice place to visit in summer when things are open. Right now, you're better off just staying safe where you are.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
An update from the Democratic Convention.  While disappointing, I'm not surprised.  I expected it and it's for our good.

Thought of you when I saw that the other day.  I'm glad they're looking out for everyone's wellbeing, but it has to be a bit of a disappointment to get the gig and not get to go to the convention.  It is awesome you are doing your duty for our election, and I hope this doesn't diminish your excitement too much!!

• Pre-Registration
Thought of you when I saw that the other day.  I'm glad they're looking out for everyone's wellbeing, but it has to be a bit of a disappointment to get the gig and not get to go to the convention.  It is awesome you are doing your duty for our election, and I hope this doesn't diminish your excitement too much!!

Oh, not at all!  In fact just this morning I had my first of what will be quite a few delegate business meetings with the Biden campaign on my computer.  Our role in nominating Joe Biden for president and his running mate for vice president is not in any way diminished!  Actually, I would have been plenty shocked if the DNC told us coming to Milwaukee was still an option.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Oh, not at all!  In fact just this morning I had my first of what will be quite a few delegate business meetings with the Biden campaign on my computer.  Our role in nominating Joe Biden for president and his running mate for vice president is not in any way diminished!  Actually, I would have been plenty shocked if the DNC told us coming to Milwaukee was still an option.

I am glad they are taking the lead to protect their membership and the country at large. What a stark contrast to the opposition. I seriously believe one of the reasons Democrats might win is because they are still alive and are well enough to vote.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:00:24 PM by puppy »

• Pre-Registration
One of my first duties as district-level Joe Biden delegate was to take part in last Sunday's (June 28) California Democratic state delegation meeting, along with other Biden, Bernie Sanders, Mike Bloomberg and Elizabeth Warren district-level delegates to approve PLEO delegates, at-large delegates, the California Delegation Chair and Standing Committee members endorsed by both the Biden and Sanders campaigns. This is me approving the at-large delegates endorsed by both Biden and Sanders. Among the PLEO Biden delegates elected to the Milwaukee convention is Jamieson Power, who, like me, had previously run for Biden district-level delegate here in the 48th Congressional District. He is a member of the Westminster School Board.  As you can see, it was approved 229-5.  We all voted using the keypads on our smartphones. Ninety at-large delegates were selected (51 for Sanders and 39 for Biden). We also selected nine alternate delegates (five for Sanders and four for Biden). The delegates allocated reflected the statewide vote for the candidates in the March 3 California primary. Sanders won California.  This is a six-minute excerpt of the 42-minute meeting.  At 5:10, you can quickly see my name.  It's also in the screenshot behind the black arrow button.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:43:33 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
D23 Expo 2017

• Pre-Registration
Earlier today (Monday, August 3), as an elected Democratic Convention delegate, I was one of at least 2,627 delegates that cast my online vote affirming Joe Biden’s Democratic nomination for president, the Platform and approval of the Rules Committee report and just within the last hour got my confirmation of my votes! 🙂

Which is really no different from getting my barcodes E-mailed to me confirming my Comic-Con badge purchase!  LOL!   ;D

I should add instead of returning my Adobe ballot, for security purposes, I cast my votes on the Adobe reader, then printed it out and scanned it and E-mailed the scanned ballot to the state party with the statement that I’m voting for Biden, the Platform and the rules report. I was told by the DNC they will do the state-by-state roll call at the Convention Aug. 17-20. I will post the scanned copy of my ballot here to show all of you after the roll-call when it’s safe to do so! My Mom is worried the Russians may try to hack it!
D23 Expo 2017

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Earlier today (Monday, August 3), as an elected Democratic Convention delegate, I was one of at least 2,627 delegates that cast my online vote affirming Joe Biden’s Democratic nomination for president, the Platform and approval of the Rules Committee report and just within the last hour got my confirmation of my votes! 🙂

Which is really no different from getting my barcodes E-mailed to me confirming my Comic-Con badge purchase!  LOL!   ;D

I should add instead of returning my Adobe ballot, for security purposes, I cast my votes on the Adobe reader, then printed it out and scanned it and E-mailed the scanned ballot to the state party with the statement that I’m voting for Biden, the Platform and the rules report. I was told by the DNC they will do the state-by-state roll call at the Convention Aug. 17-20. I will post the scanned copy of my ballot here to show all of you after the roll-call when it’s safe to do so! My Mom is worried the Russians may try to hack it!
This is all very cool, and I appreciate you sharing the details of this process from the beginning through completion!  The democratic process of our POTUS election is far more complicated than most realize, and while many of us might've read about this stuff it's great to get insight like this.  When I was in middle school, during Bush Sr's first election, we had a school-wide 'delegate conference' where we learned about the process in the classroom, and then acted out the process of delegates from each state delegates nominating their candidate.  I remember I was some sort of delegate or something, but obviously 30+ years later I don't remember much.  But because of that experience I've been fascinated with this process and I've really enjoyed you sharing the process and giving us all a look into the election process

Thank you!

• Pre-Registration
This is all very cool, and I appreciate you sharing the details of this process from the beginning through completion!  The democratic process of our POTUS election is far more complicated than most realize, and while many of us might've read about this stuff it's great to get insight like this.  When I was in middle school, during Bush Sr's first election, we had a school-wide 'delegate conference' where we learned about the process in the classroom, and then acted out the process of delegates from each state delegates nominating their candidate.  I remember I was some sort of delegate or something, but obviously 30+ years later I don't remember much.  But because of that experience I've been fascinated with this process and I've really enjoyed you sharing the process and giving us all a look into the election process

Thank you!

My pleasure!
D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
When I was in middle school, during Bush Sr's first election, we had a school-wide 'delegate conference' where we learned about the process in the classroom, and then acted out the process of delegates from each state delegates nominating their candidate.  I remember I was some sort of delegate or something, but obviously 30+ years later I don't remember much.  But because of that experience I've been fascinated with this process and I've really enjoyed you sharing the process and giving us all a look into the election process

In high school we overdid things as we tended to do back then.  We had an entire simulation of the election process.  It wasn't just our high school.  It was high schools from all over California.  It concluded with a big convention in Sacramento.  The Governor was even there.  It was the whole thing including people marching around with delegate signs and horse trading for votes.