Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127698 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #720 on: February 23, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My dad checked MyChart this morning and he isn't rescheduled yet.  His appointment was last Friday, 2/19.  Hopefully he'll hear soon.

The Administration said yesterday that they plan to be all caught up with vaccine shipments by the end of the week.  Petco can't schedule until they have vaccine.  So hopefully things will get sorted soon.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #721 on: February 23, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »
The Administration said yesterday that they plan to be all caught up with vaccine shipments by the end of the week.  Petco can't schedule until they have vaccine.  So hopefully things will get sorted soon.
Add to that news that educators will begin being eligible for vaccines Monday May 1.

There's a huge bottleneck/supply issue is what I'm getting at...  :-\ :-[

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #722 on: Today at 07:07:30 AM »

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #722 on: February 23, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »
My dad checked MyChart this morning and he isn't rescheduled yet.  His appointment was last Friday, 2/19.  Hopefully he'll hear soon.

I found this helpful if it hasnt been posted. 

What I did not find helpful is that 40% of prison inmates in California are vaccinated already ?  I personally think every single teacher in the state should receive the vaccine before any prison sniffs one dose.  Just me.  Sorry if that offends anyone. 

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #723 on: February 24, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »
Add to that news that educators will begin being eligible for vaccines Monday May 1.

There's a huge bottleneck/supply issue is what I'm getting at...  :-\ :-[

I am hopeful that new vaccines and ramped up production will be able to meet that demand.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #724 on: February 24, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
Interesting article from the Trib front page today about COVID in the county in context of sports: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Essentially 33 CA counties improved enough to (finally) start ramping up scholastic sports, while San Diego missed out.  This factoid kind of took me aback:
“Los Angeles, Orange and San Francisco counties came out on the better side of the ledger with case rates of 12.3, 11.9 and 5.2 respectively.”
. SD is at 15 per 100,000 and needs to be at 14 for sports to be a go (last week we were around 22 so it'll likely happen next week).  I never would've guessed San Diego was in a slightly worse place than LA or Orange counties.

On the bad/even-worse news (personally: I don't care about sports and think they should cancel fall sports at this point instead of trying to cram a year's worth of sports into a 15ish week period): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
CA now has its own strand of COVID-19 that is more transmissible and potentially more dangerous (and vaccines may be less effective against).  It's similar to the UK variant, but even now slightly more than 50% of the COVID cases in the state have the vaccine; that's going to rise to 90% of CA cases by the end of next month.  In that article:
The U.K. and California variants are each armed with enhanced capabilities, and the likelihood that they could circulate in the same population raises the specter of a return to spiking infections and deaths, Chiu said. It also opens the door to a “nightmare scenario”: That the two viruses will meet in a single person, swap their mutations, and create an even more dangerous strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
The new evidence that the California variant could make people sicker, and vaccines less effective, should spur more intensive efforts to drive down infections, Chiu said. Those should include both public health measures, such as masking and limits on public activities, and a campaign of rapid vaccinations, he added.

The pandemic rollercoaster continues its disturbing ride...

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #725 on: February 24, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
When I get fully vaccinated, I plan to continue masking and social distancing, but I would like to eat in outdoor restaurants again. What do you all plan to do after vaccination?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #726 on: February 24, 2021, 10:17:41 AM »
When I get fully vaccinated, I plan to continue masking and social distancing, but I would like to eat in outdoor restaurants again. What do you all plan to do after vaccination?

Good question; it's been difficult for me to think too far ahead at this point.  I feel like spring 2020 when so much was unknown, I was making a lot of plans as far as teaching and whatnot, only to see most quickly upended.  I feel like one major thing I've learned throughout the last 12 months (and counting  :( ) is not to set too many plans too far in advanced.  I think because of that mindset I haven't dared think much about what I'll do post-vaccination rather than 1) teach in person w/little anxiety 2) continue to wear masks, social distance, and likely not shake many hands ever again.
I guess I'll get some restaurant food.  Since before March 13th 2020 we haven't eaten any restaurant food: everything we've eaten has been cooked by us (plus, of course, tons of junk food).  There have been a ton of restaurant food lately I've been craving (even simple stuff: like KFC).  Our favorite local (probably a few 100 yards away) Tai restaurant closed over the summer so that was a bit heartbreaking: that would've been the #1 meal (and we likely would've broken down before now had it been open in the fall).
I'll probably also be excited to see movies again in theaters.  I've been saying for a year that I will not go to a theater for a movie w/out the vaccine, so that's likely another thing high on my To-Do list post-vaccination.  Right now it's looking good BLACK WIDOW may be the triumphant return (of me going) to theaters

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #727 on: February 24, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I'm thinking of getting a haircut and doing my own grocery shopping.
Not sure when I may start traveling again, though, but that would be next.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #728 on: February 24, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
Good question; it's been difficult for me to think too far ahead at this point.  I feel like spring 2020 when so much was unknown, I was making a lot of plans as far as teaching and whatnot, only to see most quickly upended.  I feel like one major thing I've learned throughout the last 12 months (and counting  :( ) is not to set too many plans too far in advanced.  I think because of that mindset I haven't dared think much about what I'll do post-vaccination rather than 1) teach in person w/little anxiety 2) continue to wear masks, social distance, and likely not shake many hands ever again.
I guess I'll get some restaurant food.  Since before March 13th 2020 we haven't eaten any restaurant food: everything we've eaten has been cooked by us (plus, of course, tons of junk food).  There have been a ton of restaurant food lately I've been craving (even simple stuff: like KFC).  Our favorite local (probably a few 100 yards away) Tai restaurant closed over the summer so that was a bit heartbreaking: that would've been the #1 meal (and we likely would've broken down before now had it been open in the fall).
I'll probably also be excited to see movies again in theaters.  I've been saying for a year that I will not go to a theater for a movie w/out the vaccine, so that's likely another thing high on my To-Do list post-vaccination.  Right now it's looking good BLACK WIDOW may be the triumphant return (of me going) to theaters

We have been doing lots of take-out. If I was ever to get COVID, that and the supermarket would be where I got it. I really don't want my favorite restaurants to go out of business, so we are doing what we can to keep them alive.

I'm very happy not to have to shake hands anymore. It was something I was never able to do comfortably. I find that women tend to hug, which I will miss. Not sure when I will do that without worrying.

I can't wait for the movies. Hopefully, they will hold onto Black Widow for the big screen. I will wear my mask to that, but will try to pick a time and place that helps me to social distance. Maybe a matinee on a weekday.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #729 on: February 24, 2021, 10:44:17 AM »
CA now has its own strand of COVID-19 that is more transmissible and potentially more dangerous (and vaccines may be less effective against).  It's similar to the UK variant, but even now slightly more than 50% of the COVID cases in the state have the vaccine; that's going to rise to 90% of CA cases by the end of next month.  In that article:
The pandemic rollercoaster continues its disturbing ride...

We've had our own strain for a while.  Unless that's yet another one.  I'm thinking it might be a factor in how California went from a state that was one of the best in handling covid to being the national hotspot so quickly.

I guess I'll get some restaurant food.  Since before March 13th 2020 we haven't eaten any restaurant food: everything we've eaten has been cooked by us (plus, of course, tons of junk food).  There have been a ton of restaurant food lately I've been craving (even simple stuff: like KFC).

That's the one thing I have done a handful of times in the last year.  Including getting a $20 fill up from KFC.  I take everything out of the restaurant packaging and nuke it before I bring it into the house.  I installed a microwave out in the garage specifically for this purpose.

I plan on continuing on pretty much the same as I am now until the community prevalence of covid drops to a very low level.  I will go into stores again.  I've only been in a store a handful of times, mainly to access the pharmacy.  I haven't been able to do a toy hunt in a year.

I'm very happy not to have to shake hands anymore. It was something I was never able to do comfortably.

Even before covid, I didn't shake hands.  It's a disgusting custom.  Some people took my refusal graciously.  Other did not.  Now, I think most people would not have a problem with my refusal.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:48:07 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2021, 10:49:19 AM »

Movies!!  Restaurants!!  And once more and more people are vaccinated, travel!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »
We've had our own strain for a while.  Unless that's yet another one.  I'm thinking it might be a factor in how California went from a state that was one of the best in handling covid to being the national hotspot so quickly.
That's the one: it's getting more and more prevalent over the last few months.

Even before covid, I didn't shake hands.  It's a disgusting custom.  Some people took my refusal graciously.  Other did not.  Now, I think most people would not have a problem with my refusal.
Yeah I was never a big hand-shaker pre-COVID.  I'm not a germaphobe or anything, I just mostly don't want to get in people's personal space.  I mostly tried to avoid handshakes in the old days, but in my job that gets difficult at times (as a music teacher, it's not uncommon to be a large events with peers where if one doesn't want to shake hands one is deemed unsocial and potentially shunned); I think I can parlay the pandemic into "yeah I'm done touching other human beings not my family" - maybe a fist bump will suffice

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2021, 06:14:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, San Diego opens up to teachers on Saturday.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, San Diego opens up to teachers on Saturday.
Just heard that today!
Now onto "constantly checking in to see if I can get an appointment through the educators-only portal" (I'm told reservations through the traditional process, even though a mild 'hack' method I could implement right now to schedule an appointment for Sat. pm, will not be honored and we can only go through a specific educator-only website).

All the years of scoring SDCCI tix, before the "random cheerio" way they've had for years (back when it was first come/first served online) may FINALLY payoff in a real world scenario!

Oddly, a colleague in the Performing Arts Department was telling us this afternoon that there's a vaccination site in Carlsbad that is having daily line-ups of teachers and cops; they get there when they open for business at/before 7am and wait all day, and at the end of the day whatever doses are unclaimed get distributed in order of line.  While I have literally stood in Hall H lines from Thursday evening-Saturday afternoon (with a large group in shifts), and I think I've waited in line for roughly 30 hours straight a few years before joining a line group, for some reason I don't have it in me to wait, like, 8ish hours for a vaccination shot.  Maybe if they said they'd show some exclusive Marvel footage from an upcoming project...  :P

Thanks a lot for the head's up!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:49 PM »
Here's the website of the SD County Office of Ed that details the process for educators: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

According to that site,
Employees assigned to the 242 district, charter, and private schools located in the areas whose score on the state's Healthy Places Index (HPI) places them in the 4th quartile are eligible for vaccination at this time
My school (and the nearly 40 schools in my district), are all in the 1st quartile HPI.  So I guess I'm looking at quite a wait (with our district going back in-person in less than 3 weeks)

Oh well...