Author Topic: Netflix's The Witcher **SPOILERS**  (Read 1361 times)

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
Netflix's The Witcher **SPOILERS**
« on: December 23, 2019, 06:15:55 PM »
Alright so let me preface this by saying that I have no idea what I was getting myself into.

My only familiarity with The Witcher was the video game (which I have to admit I haven't started playing it even though I own it) so I went into this series blind as a bat. At first the various timelines were confusing but by the time episode 3 or 4 hit, I was having that AHA! moment. I get why people might not be a huge fan of the way the story arcs are being presented but I feel like it's important in terms of understanding the characters' backstories and how it leads up to the present timeline. Also, I just love how "destiny" is tying everything together.

That being said, I don't get why people are panning this show and comparing it to Game of Thrones. While they are both considered fantasy, I feel like The Witcher sticks with the magical elements whereas GoT basically abandons them in the later seasons (I say this as a huge GoT fan btw. I'm just super sad that not all of GRRM's magical world was translated to TV). I mean the show still has its faults, but for being in its first season, I'm super satisfied.

If you haven't watched it yet, please give it a chance! Henry Cavill is great as Geralt and you'll love the other characters too (ahem, Yennefer and Jaskier). Can't wait for season 2! (but in the meantime I'll start reading the books and play the video game)

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
Re: Netflix's The Witcher **SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
I went into the show having read most of the books in the series, but never having played the video game.  I watched the first three episodes on Friday night, and the other five on Saturday -I was hooked!  (And I was finished my Christmas shopping, and it was raining way too hard to do any hiking, so sitting in front of the TV all day with a bottle of wine was just the thing.   :) )

I'm glad to hear, with the three storylines -Geralt's, Yennefer's, and Ciri's- and the fact that they jumped around chronologically within those storylines, that it still made sense to someone who hadn't read the books.    The only thing that reminded me of Game of Thrones is that, as with the Stark children in GOT, Ciri is older in the show than she was in the books (I think she was about 9 or 10 in the books when Cintra is invaded by Nilfgaard).

I agree, I think Henry Cavill does a great job as the lead, and the rest of the cast is strong too.  Love the fight scenes!   

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:02:05 AM »

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Alright so let me preface this by saying that I have no idea what I was getting myself into.

My only familiarity with The Witcher was the video game (which I have to admit I haven't started playing it even though I own it) so I went into this series blind as a bat. At first the various timelines were confusing but by the time episode 3 or 4 hit, I was having that AHA! moment. I get why people might not be a huge fan of the way the story arcs are being presented but I feel like it's important in terms of understanding the characters' backstories and how it leads up to the present timeline. Also, I just love how "destiny" is tying everything together.

That being said, I don't get why people are panning this show and comparing it to Game of Thrones. While they are both considered fantasy, I feel like The Witcher sticks with the magical elements whereas GoT basically abandons them in the later seasons (I say this as a huge GoT fan btw. I'm just super sad that not all of GRRM's magical world was translated to TV). I mean the show still has its faults, but for being in its first season, I'm super satisfied.

If you haven't watched it yet, please give it a chance! Henry Cavill is great as Geralt and you'll love the other characters too (ahem, Yennefer and Jaskier). Can't wait for season 2! (but in the meantime I'll start reading the books and play the video game)

Yes, I watched The Witcher because a streamer I like to follow on Twitch was going to start streaming the game.  I had no clue as to what The Witcher was about, and so she suggested that I watch the Netflix series to help me understand what is going on.

I agree with everything you posted about The Witcher.  I was not that crazy about Henry Cavill as Superman, but he is superb as Geralt!  I was hooked by episode 3 and ended up binge watching the series over two days.

:) :) :) 

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
My review: LOVED IT.

As a disclaimer, I have not read the books nor played the games (I do own Witcher 3, but for some reason the sound in the game is messed up on my PC, so I haven't bothered to fix it). I knew nothing of the characters or world, and I hadn't even watched the trailers. So I came upon the series with completely fresh eyes.

I was super confused early on because I was unaware of the various back-and-forth through time. It didn't click for me until about episode 5. But once I realized what was happening, things made a lot more sense. I don't know how similar Henry Cavill is to the Witcher from the games or books, but I found him excellent in the role. As we were watching, my sister and I would try to predict when he would unleash a "Hmm". I'm pretty sure every episode had at least one. My favorite character has to be Jaskier. His bromance with Geralt is so endearing. I loved the use of magic in the series, especially when wielded by Geralt. It wasn't flamboyant or showy, but practical. I also really liked the brutality of magic in terms of cost.

If there was a bit of disappointment, it was that the sword fight in episode 1 was so amazing, there really wasn't any other fights as beautifully choreographed in the rest of the episodes.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 02:48:13 PM »
From Reed Pop:

Brace yourself, Witcher ⚔️ We’ve teamed up with Netflix to offer #NYCC fans a chance to see episode 1 of The Witcher season 2 before EVERYONE ELSE on Tuesday, December 14 at 7:00 PM ET. Did we mention that the virtual screening will be immediately followed by a Q&A with Geralt of Rivia himself? Register now for your ticket, and submit your question to Henry Cavill! Tickets are first-come, first-served. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login