Author Topic: Transfer for special circumstances?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
Transfer for special circumstances?
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
I posted this in my badge buying group with more details but this is public.  Feel free to PM for details if you have ideas or need them to help though:

I helped a friend and her two boys figure out what they needed to do in order to come to comic con this year. They have wanted to go for years, and this was the year. Boys are 15 and 17. They scored th/fri/sun badges.  She has a chronic illness and now has a surgery scheduled for early July that she will not be fully recovered from before comic con.   She had planned on using disability services while there, but that isn't an option now.

Her 17 year old is the least nerdy of her crew and wants to stay home and help her. The 15 year old is DEVASTATED. He has been working on his cosplay costume since the morning of the ticket sale. He also can't drive or anything so staying home would be less helpful than it is for the 17 year old. We have offered to let him stay in our room and coordinate travel.

BUT, 15 year old is kind of shy. I know he'll meet people, and I know some of you have teens, but he will probably end up hanging out with us, and most of what we do at night is 18 or 21 and over.  During the day we sometimes meet with vendors and do things with our friends that we could not take another person along for. He would like for his cousins to come in place of his mother and brother, and we would be willing to help coordinate all three but would feel less bad when we can't adjust our schedule to do teenager stuff since they can go off alone. One is 18 and one is 16.  We are in our mid-30's, so not nearly as much fun for a lonesome 15 year old.

Would CCI allow a badge transfer from the mother/brother to the cousins to happen? Is there a specific person I should contact to ask?  They can all send photo ID and birth certificates and photos of hanging out together to make it clear that they are not scalping the tickets to strangers. The mother can also send medical paperwork.

Ugh  :(

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Transfer for special circumstances?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
i would absolutely contact CCI with this request.  offer/supply documentation regarding the medical issues.  Also stress that it is within the family-

contact them through the mom's member id acct.  Do this asap
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:48:08 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »
Just as a quick note to maintain expectations:

It is ultimately up to CCI, and they may or may not accommodate the request, primarily to uphold the integrity of their registration and badge policies.  (They are quite strict with their badge policies in general.)  With that said, as alyssa has suggested, it doesn't hurt to contact CCI to ask.

Good luck, [member=1818]juliafrood[/member], and let us know how it goes.  :]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Good luck, [member=1818]juliafrood[/member], and let us know how it goes.  :]
My guess is, if [member=1818]juliafrood[/member] is successful in transferring/refunding the badges, and also respects CCI's nondisclosure wishes, we shouldn't hear back at all. ;)

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
She is gathering documentation to send in...wish her luck!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »
I just want to offer that if he wants to hang with us sometimes he can. Our group includes a 16 year old, a 15 year old and a 13 year old. When they are on their own they usually like to hang out at the video game lounges (such as the Nintendo Lounge at the MMM). So if he does end up coming solo, LMK and we might be able to arrange some shared time.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:11:38 AM »
My guess is, if [member=1818]juliafrood[/member] is successful in transferring/refunding the badges, and also respects CCI's nondisclosure wishes, we shouldn't hear back at all. ;)

Agreed!  A very fine point.  It would make all likely sense if CCI said "yes" to the request and then that kind of information would not be disclosed for whatever reason.   However, if they said "no," well...  The information may potentially be helpful to perhaps another forum member in a similar situation and has a relatively similar question.  At the very least, it would re-confirm that CCI is, in fact, extremely consistent with their badge transfer policies and that they uphold them, regardless of circumstances.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 05:14:46 AM »
She is gathering documentation to send in...wish her luck!
[member=1818]juliafrood[/member] also tell her to be concise in her words- I'm *sure* everyone is very busy & i wouldn't run the risk of tl;dr.  text walls are hard if you're busy
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »
I hope it works out for the op but I think CCI either needs to have a procedure in place to let anyone transfer their badge for any reason or let no one under any circumstances transfer. I just don't think it's right for CCI to decide whose reason for needing to transfer a badge is important enough to let them but then decide that someone else's reason is not important and turn them down.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
I'm thinking the solution may involve comp badges, which is certainly in CCI's capabilities and doesn't address the transfer issue.  I would make sure the recipients have valid Member IDs to speed up that process.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:37:07 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
I posted this in my badge buying group with more details but this is public.  Feel free to PM for details if you have ideas or need them to help though:

I helped a friend and her two boys figure out what they needed to do in order to come to comic con this year. They have wanted to go for years, and this was the year. Boys are 15 and 17. They scored th/fri/sun badges.  She has a chronic illness and now has a surgery scheduled for early July that she will not be fully recovered from before comic con.   She had planned on using disability services while there, but that isn't an option now.

Her 17 year old is the least nerdy of her crew and wants to stay home and help her. The 15 year old is DEVASTATED. He has been working on his cosplay costume since the morning of the ticket sale. He also can't drive or anything so staying home would be less helpful than it is for the 17 year old. We have offered to let him stay in our room and coordinate travel.

BUT, 15 year old is kind of shy. I know he'll meet people, and I know some of you have teens, but he will probably end up hanging out with us, and most of what we do at night is 18 or 21 and over.  During the day we sometimes meet with vendors and do things with our friends that we could not take another person along for. He would like for his cousins to come in place of his mother and brother, and we would be willing to help coordinate all three but would feel less bad when we can't adjust our schedule to do teenager stuff since they can go off alone. One is 18 and one is 16.  We are in our mid-30's, so not nearly as much fun for a lonesome 15 year old.

Would CCI allow a badge transfer from the mother/brother to the cousins to happen? Is there a specific person I should contact to ask?  They can all send photo ID and birth certificates and photos of hanging out together to make it clear that they are not scalping the tickets to strangers. The mother can also send medical paperwork.

Ugh  :(
Dang, that's rough: my condolences to your friend and her boys in what are difficult times.  I hope CCI can offer creative solutions for you.  As a few others have chimed in, I have a 14.5 year old son who is also pretty shy but would likely LOVE to hang out with another kid his age.  Almost all of his friends didn't get passes, and typically he hangs out with just me Wednesday - Sunday (we live local).  He's likely going to the Slayer concert with me Thursday evening, but Friday all-day he'd probably have a blast hanging out with another kid (we may be in line all day, but we rotate in & out so that shouldn't be a problem; provided he's around when they give out wristbands he could hang around, or the other child is more than welcome hanging out with us).  Sunday we're going with the whole family + a friend of his, but I'm sure the more-the-merrier would rule the day.

Feel free to PM me if you need to; good luck!

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 08:14:20 AM »
Dang, that's rough: my condolences to your friend and her boys in what are difficult times.  I hope CCI can offer creative solutions for you.  As a few others have chimed in, I have a 14.5 year old son who is also pretty shy but would likely LOVE to hang out with another kid his age. 

Hmmm wonder if you've just stumbled upon something else this board can help with. Maybe members with teenagers could get together and discuss a meet up for them.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
Hmmm wonder if you've just stumbled upon something else this board can help with. Maybe members with teenagers could get together and discuss a meet up for them.

All I have to say is this:

If anyone would like to take the initiative and organize a teenage-friendly forum meet-up (with responsible adult supervision), then by all means!  I think it could be a great way for like-minded forum members and their teens to connect with some people at Comic-Con. 

Helpful Hint:
If anyone would like to do this, feel free to start up a discussion thread about a potential meet-up of this sort.  Gather info and gauge interest on the forums.  If there are enough people to have a meet-up, then make plans and suggestions in that thread.  Once the programming schedule comes in roughly four weeks or five weeks, more concrete details can be further planned.

Here's the guideline and summary thread for meet-ups, just in case:

^__~
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:47:04 PM by Zero »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
i have to chime in

I ***love, love love*** the idea [member=2714]catvonawesome[/member] , brilliant! 

hey maybe we can see if [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] & [member=1060]DRWHO_42[/member] can set up a teen-age table at their meet ups too :) 'cuz if my teen was there i'd be more then happy to banish him to another table  >:D >:D

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
Tough situation- hope CCI finds a good solution

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk