Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 116247 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
Random Chat
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:06:56 AM »
in the category of 'whaaaat we don't have that thread already?'

I'll kick it off with a brief story abt a christmas party i attended.  It's a party thrown by the local climbing/mountaineering store.  They do a Yankee swap thing- everyone brings a item, then in a random order folks pick a wrapped item or they can 'steal' an item already opened.
Due to an oversite on my part i had an extra Marvel collectors corp villains box.  I wrapped that, wondering if i'd uncover any closet geeks..... & i did!  I may invite him over to play board games with me & lew <grin>

any good christmas party stories?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:38:00 AM by Chris »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »
Updated thread title to one T in chatt.  :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:47:44 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Ok another topic, yes I am determined lol

I am wicked Bored at work and all I can think of is my next vacation which kicks me into hyper planer mode. How far overboard have you gone in the planing of a con/vacation?
Have folks ever looked at you like you're crazy for the advanced planing?

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok another topic, yes I am determined lol

I am wicked Bored at work and all I can think of is my next vacation which kicks me into hyper planer mode. How far overboard have you gone in the planing of a con/vacation?
Have folks ever looked at you like you're crazy for the advanced planing?

All the time when I plan for the two July conventions I attend.  People don't really know how intense it is to go a large convention.  Ha ha.

"Seriously, you start working on stuff this early?!"   (I get this all the time when I explain Comic-Con and Anime Expo.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
I'm rethinking me sdcc plane tix, rethinking my car rental in LA for WC, haven't booked a place for the time between c2e2 and  WC. 
And I still have to book my dad and sons trip to Europe.

Everything is waiting on something....and it's driving me crazy.  I need a movie to watch or my WD compendium to distract me
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:50:48 PM by alyssa »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:31:31 AM »

Company had a bad quarter so they are keeping this year's holiday party low key. Last year we had the party at the new 49ers stadium, which was very cool. Good food and generous bartenders in a swanky part of the stadium that I will never see normally. At one point I met a guy in sales who was involved with the rollout of a product I worked on, and who looked remarkably like Dennis Hopper. He was upset with some of the management and got more and more heated as we talked, but the more upset he got the more he looked and sounded like Dennis Hopper. So I just kept ordering us drinks and egging him on, getting happier and happier because it's just like I'm getting yelled at by Dennis Hopper! So awesome. Then his wife came and took him away.

For overplanning, I tend to get obsessive with any trip I go on, especially road trips. I'll look up every place we go through, read up on restaurants, historical sites, stuff like that. I wasn't always this way, but a while back my wife and I had a getaway to SF. I had just started reading The Maltese Falcon and realized that the opening scene takes place in a tunnel that was right next to the hotel we were staying at. Now I can't get enough of that kind of thing.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:34:27 AM »
It has been so busy at work lately that I haven't been able to uber-plan. We drove to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving (Oh I-35, how I despise you!), and I felt so off because I didn't even do a packing list (DH was shocked). At least where visiting family is involved-it's usually more about their schedule, so I did okay. DH did more planning than I did (he does the turkey day cooking).
As far as SDCC, I haven't bought my plane tix yet, because it seemed expensive. I am going to stalk the prices and buy after Christmas. It's driving me crazy though.
For Dragon Con in September, I will also try to wait on plane tickets (hotels are, as always, locked down super early!) Last year, we almost went last minute because the Hilton opened up, and I tried for plane tickets and got a really really cheap rate to Atlanta. Since we splurged a little on the hotel, we want to save some money on the flight.

ETA-I think planning for the next con is one way to fight off post Con depression. That may have something to do with my need to plan early! :)
Ang

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
I exchanged Christmas gifts with some friends last night. We went to an English style pub - I had the bangers and mash. I got gift cards - Tim Hortons, Best Buy, Boston Pizza.  I gave books. (I have started only giving books as presents. For my nieces and nephews I will either give a graphic novel or a book and put a note in it that they can read it when they are teenagers/young adults. Sometimes I'll include something with the book - tee shirt, hat, gift card, etc.)

I already used the Best Buy gift card last night on the Taken King for Xbox One. It was $49.99 plus taxes - so around $57. When I got home though, one of my PSN friends told me that since I have Destiny for PS4 I can download all the expansions from the Playstation store for $39.99 no taxes. So I am going to return it today. 17 bucks is 17 bucks.

I think I am going to have dim sum for lunch today :)
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
to give you an idea of where i come from, this is my mom's Christmas card..... and a good opportunity to steal it & wish everyone a happy holiday

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:47:32 AM »
Your parents are cool people, Alyssa!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

Little present for me
;)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
Little present for me
;)

Nice stuff, especially that Founders, and it even has the controversial baby label! I know we have differing opinions on the importance of breakfast, maybe this will sway you?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
that was going to be the first one to open .... at lunch tho ;)  I went for the oatmeal stout instead.  i have to admit the days when i dont' have to be 'on', a bit of beer at lunch is a nice thing
have you tried the others? 
there was a couple of folks talking abt a grapefruit ipa --- it sounded interesting

i am officially done with the "have to do's" till saturday

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
I haven't tried the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter or the Shake one, but have had the others. Is the grapefruit one the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin? If so it's quite good, I don't normally like the fruity brews but I like it as much as their regular Sculpin.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
yes, that was it, the Ballast point sculpin.......  i'm not an ale fan so have steered clear of brews i could see through but that sounds interesting enough to try assuming i can find someone to finish the 6 pack off if i can't get past the ale part. ;)

I got a growler of a local stout from Hobbs in Ossipee NH- very heavy & strong- there's a reason i like porters.... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login