Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 116258 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I might go down to the convention center and walk around and pretend that they just haven't set up yet.
I went downtown this past Sunday to go to a symphony performance at the new Shell.  We parked in the Hilton Bayfront and walked over and I gotta tell ya: it was fairly depressing.  Last summer, when we were fairly 'locked down,' it didn't hit me as hard as it did this year.  Seeing the "sights" on the walk from the Bayfront garage to the Embarcadero: where the Hall H tents should be; where the signage should be up on the hotels & Petco Park (which was oddly lit w/the Padres out of town); where the Indigo Ballroom line would be; where the FX outdoor pavilion would be; where the [adult swim] pavilion would be; where the old Hall H 'next day' line would be; the outdoor bathrooms across from the marina which are indeed still fairly disgusting; the pedicabs speeding by (some blasting music, some not); where the 2019 Hall H line was (note: most of the trees were removed so there will not be a ton of natural shade for Comic-Con lines in the future); the Embarcadero where the line would wrap around (yes: Joe's Crab Shack is still around!).  For someone who's spent every mid-July from 2000-2019 at Comic-Con, it was rather depressing seeing nothing there  :-[

On the plus side, the convention center is gearing up to host conventions again in August.  My wife who works for the SD County Office of Education had spent some time in the convention center helping to facilitate arts education for the (mostly) girls housed there waiting to be reunited w/families commented that at least there are no longer armed guards all over the facilities like there were just a few weeks ago.  It was definitely a bummer of an experience; I've been to four Padres games over the last month and a half but Sunday was the first time I was legit-depressed wandering around the Comic-Con stomping grounds.

On the flip, the symphony sounded amazing and the new Shell is an incredible performance venue.  I got to sit relatively close at a table, and it was wonderful; there are now 'levels' added in the ground so the further back you are the more elevated you are so you see over the crowd.  It felt like there's legit not a bad seat in the house, and the food (and wine) = awesome!!  There are screens at the side of the stage to make video presentations smoother: similar to the Hollywood Bowl (though smaller, of course...and a better view IMO w/the lovely bay to the audience's left & an amazing view of the sunset just above the shell stage if one has a seat further back).  It will be even cooler for SDCCI-themed performances, and worth every $

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2021, 09:22:44 AM »
They didn't even do the con candy bars this year. Most likely because the chef that makes them retired.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #692 on: Today at 01:37:45 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2021, 11:14:52 AM »
We parked in the Hilton Bayfront and walked over and I gotta tell ya: it was fairly depressing.

That's so sad.  I just had a thought.  People could still do that impromptu parade of cosplay out in front of the convention center that happens at the end of the day.  Particularly at the steps.  Just pick an afternoon and do it.  At some CCM events, there would be a fair number of people in cosplay with the accompanying posing and photo taking.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1881
« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
That's so sad.  I just had a thought.  People could still do that impromptu parade of cosplay out in front of the convention center that happens at the end of the day.  Particularly at the steps.  Just pick an afternoon and do it.  At some CCM events, there would be a fair number of people in cosplay with the accompanying posing and photo taking.
I'll be right there for this!!

Oh, wait, travel :(
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
Speaking of steps, they (finally!!) fixed the lights on the back steps behind the convention center; it was nice to see them all lit up properly again!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »
Yep.  Still sad over here.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2021, 04:38:42 PM »
Joining in the sadness! All of my FB memories have been SDCC related for the past like week and a half.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »
Joining in the sadness! All of my FB memories have been SDCC related for the past like week and a half.
I know, salt in the wound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #698 on: July 21, 2021, 07:04:44 PM »
Preview would have opened an hour ago.

::Sniff!::  I'm not crying, your mom's crying.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #699 on: July 21, 2021, 09:28:01 PM »
Preview would have opened an hour ago.

::Sniff!::  I'm not crying, your mom's crying.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #700 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:34 AM »

One of my favorite comic stories is I've stopped somewhere on the floor to look at my phone or whatever and I've literally had people start lining up behind me.  It's hilarious.  Happened 3-4 times over the years.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #701 on: July 22, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
One of my favorite comic stories is I've stopped somewhere on the floor to look at my phone or whatever and I've literally had people start lining up behind me.  It's hilarious.  Happened 3-4 times over the years.
ha; that's happened to me too over the years - often with, after a few awkward moments of silence, questions of "what are we waiting for" or "what are we looking at?!"
 :D

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #702 on: July 22, 2021, 01:09:43 PM »
ha; that's happened to me too over the years - often with, after a few awkward moments of silence, questions of "what are we waiting for" or "what are we looking at?!"
 :D

Yeah, I've had to tell people that this isn't a line.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #703 on: July 24, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »
Did anyone else spend all day yesterday playing the Google Doodle, or was that just me?
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #704 on: July 25, 2021, 12:04:29 PM »
Did anyone else spend all day yesterday playing the Google Doodle, or was that just me?
No, but I did spend all day playing with the San Diego Comic-Con News Generator and got such great headlines as
"The animatronic Amy ape from Congo to Stan loon in a hey dude revival, revealed with this one-second clip"
and
"18 TikTok influencers in a trenchant will explain the true origins of 'snoochie boochies' in a $300 million clay fighter epic"
  ;D ;D