Author Topic: Canceled: Denver Pop Culture Con 2020 July 3rd to July 5th.  (Read 3444 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Canceled: Denver Pop Culture Con 2020 July 3rd to July 5th.
« on: August 23, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
We have dates! 

Honestly, I hate it's on a Holiday weekend.  Last time they had it on Memorial Day weekend all the celebrities kept canceling.  I can't image they will get a lot of people to come work July 4th.

On the other hand, I don't have to use a PTO day.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:17:06 PM by NCDS »
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Denver Pop Culture Con 2020 July 3rd to July 5th.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
I plan to be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Canceled: Denver Pop Culture Con 2020 July 3rd to July 5th.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:20:44 PM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I plan to be there.

I mean why not for us we have the time off, it's easier for us.  So I'll be there I just won't expect a good guest turn out.  When they had it on memorial day most guests canceled.  I can't blame them if they aren't filming I would want to be at home for the Holidays.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
WonderCon has been held on Easter for a number of years (including next year) and while they have had guests, it has definitely affected the guest and attendee turnout.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »
Yes, I heard one attendee complain about the overlap.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Calendar link added

Website link for reference:

From their Twitter:
@denpopcon

IT’S A STAR-SPANGLED CON! #DPCC2020 will be July 3-5 at the Colorado Convention Center. Think downtown fireworks, hot dogs, special events & guests who play or create characters that celebrate America’s birthday. PLUS, military + first responder discounts & kids 0-12 are FREE!
Ang

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
Interesting that kids are free now.  Makes sense though if you want to try and get families there on a Holiday weekend.

Offline saintdiego90

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
I'm looking for a group to attend with if anyone would like to go with me or can accommodate an extra person in their group. I moved to Denver recently and don't have anyone to go with.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
I'm looking for a group to attend with if anyone would like to go with me or can accommodate an extra person in their group. I moved to Denver recently and don't have anyone to go with.

I'll be around, though my nieces usually come stay with me.  So I won't know anything until closer to the con.

I can definitely find a bit of time to meet up during the weekend.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:15:01 PM »
Postponed to November, just got this email:

This is tough to write, but the team at Denver Pop Culture Con has made the difficult, but necessary decision to postpone Denver Pop Culture Con until this November.

We understand that you’ll have questions about why this decision has been made and what it will mean for your 2020 Denver Pop Culture Con experience and will be working hard to answer them in detail in the days ahead.

In the meantime, please read statement below from Denver Pop Culture Con’s Director Christina Angel and the staff and board of Pop Culture Classroom, the nonprofit education and community group behind Denver Pop Culture Con:

“After consulting with the Colorado Convention Center and City of Denver, we believe this postponement is the best option for the safety and well-being of our attendees and the citizens of Denver,” said Christina Angel, Convention Director for Denver Pop Culture Con.

“We know that many hard-working people — from local businesses, to creators, partner organizations, artists and other vendors — rely on events like Denver Pop Culture Con to pay the bills and feed families, and we will continue our commitment to supporting our community during this difficult time.

Tickets to the previously scheduled July dates will automatically be valid for the new November dates with no action required by the purchaser. Additional details will be provided soon on DenverPopCultureCon.com and the organization’s social platforms.

“In the days, weeks, and months ahead, Denver Pop Culture Con will be planning a fantastic event for Thanksgiving weekend 2020. We’ll also be exploring new ways to connect and provide value to our community in these challenging times,” said Angel.

Denver Pop Culture Con will provide updates about guests, programming, and exhibitors as that information is available.

If you are an approved 2020 exhibitor/vendor, the con will contact you by email as soon as we have all the information.
    If you have submitted panels or presentations, applied to participate in Educators’ Day and/or Experience the CoMix, or applied to serve as a Programming Moderator, the con will contact you individually by email. A new panel submission process will be communicated, and Experience the CoMix and Educators’ Day application deadlines will be extended. 
    If you have contracted with Denver Pop Culture Con to be a guest, you will be contacted individually by email to discuss options for the later dates.
    If you have signed up to volunteer for the event, you will be contacted by email to discuss options for the later dates.

“We at Denver Pop Culture Con share your concerns about this current health crisis — and appreciate your patience and cooperation as we all navigate these difficult times,” said Angel.

“Optimism is at the heart of what we do, and rest assured we’ll be working hard to put together the very best celebration of pop culture, education, and imagination possible for the more than 100,000 fans, families, and participants who make their way to Denver Pop Culture Con each year.

“We know a lot of people in our community need something to look forward to right now. With your help and continued support, we’re confident we can put on an amazing event this fall—Thanksgiving Day weekend—where we can all celebrate. We hope to see you there.”
Thanks for supporting the Denver Pop Culture Con community. We’ll be in touch again soon.

The Team at Denver Pop Culture Con 

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
I’m not surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 09:32:48 PM »
I’m not surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you see they moved it to Thanksgiving weekend?  I just can't imagine they will be able to attract a lot of quality guests that weekend, I also think it will lower attendance. 

I just hope they refund tickets, I bought for my girls and I am just not going to pay overpriced airfare for a local con with bad timing.  I'll save the money and when this blows over we can pick a better one to attend.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »
This year, lower quality guests and lower attendance may actually work in their favor. But it still may not be enough to keep it happening if things aren’t better by then.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 05:17:30 AM »
Did you see they moved it to Thanksgiving weekend?  I just can't imagine they will be able to attract a lot of quality guests that weekend, I also think it will lower attendance. 

I just hope they refund tickets, I bought for my girls and I am just not going to pay overpriced airfare for a local con with bad timing.  I'll save the money and when this blows over we can pick a better one to attend.
Late November in Denver is a bad time because of unpredictable weather.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:21:39 AM »
Late November in Denver is a bad time because of unpredictable weather.

That also!