Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 116905 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
8)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #451 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
How many of you guys get regular dreams of SDCC?

Me, I always have this one particular dream: I'm in San Diego for Comic Con, but things keep coming up, like I'm at an offsite, or I'm lounging in the hotel room, or I'm wandering through the Gaslamp, and then suddenly it's Saturday, and I realize I haven't even stepped foot inside the convention center yet. So I've wasted half my time without ever actually attending SDCC. I have this particular dream maybe once every two months or so. It's always a variation of the same Comic Con dream.

I bring this up now because I had another such dream last night, except this time, as I realize I haven't gone inside the convention center yet, I am telling my friend this was just like the dream I always have about missing most of the convention. So did I just get Inception'd by referencing this particular dream in a dream about this dream?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #452 on: Today at 07:33:43 AM »

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #452 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
Just popping in to say and HI everybody! It is super, super weird to not be planning for SDCC this year. On one hand, I'm super bummed my group got shut out of badge sale, but on the other hand, I just gave my periodontist $4k so maybe I'm ok not having the comic con expenses coming up.

anyway! I miss the anxiety and stress of sdcc!!! hahaha

and [member=4314]accelerate[/member] , Yes, I had those dreams all the time. Like I would be lugging my suitcase around the exhibit floor trying to find a hotel and then realize I never got a hotel room. Or, I have no idea where my badge is. And then I'll think...how did I even get here? I don't remember the flight!!! And then I wake up. haha
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #453 on: January 18, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
Just popping in to say and HI everybody! It is super, super weird to not be planning for SDCC this year. On one hand, I'm super bummed my group got shut out of badge sale, but on the other hand, I just gave my periodontist $4k so maybe I'm ok not having the comic con expenses coming up.

anyway! I miss the anxiety and stress of sdcc!!! hahaha

I hope your dental issue is taken care of!  That's no fun, the procedure and the payment both!

Me, I always have this one particular dream: I'm in San Diego for Comic Con, but things keep coming up, like I'm at an offsite, or I'm lounging in the hotel room, or I'm wandering through the Gaslamp, and then suddenly it's Saturday, and I realize I haven't even stepped foot inside the convention center yet. So I've wasted half my time without ever actually attending SDCC. I have this particular dream maybe once every two months or so. It's always a variation of the same Comic Con dream.

I bring this up now because I had another such dream last night, except this time, as I realize I haven't gone inside the convention center yet, I am telling my friend this was just like the dream I always have about missing most of the convention. So did I just get Inception'd by referencing this particular dream in a dream about this dream?

My dreams tend to be about airplanes.  I'm late, I can't find my seat, random line standing, etc.  But I haven't had one lately so I must be due.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2019, 12:57:11 AM »
All the time when I plan for the two July conventions I attend.  People don't really know how intense it is to go a large convention.  Ha ha.

"Seriously, you start working on stuff this early?!"   (I get this all the time when I explain Comic-Con and Anime Expo.)
I’m seriously already 90% packed for SDCC. My cosplay is already to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #455 on: January 19, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
I’m seriously already 90% packed for SDCC. My cosplay is already to go.

Whoo hoo! What's the cosplay? Are you planning on any test runs at spring cons?

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #456 on: January 19, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
Whoo hoo! What's the cosplay? Are you planning on any test runs at spring cons?
No WonderCon for me this year. A visit to a daughter in Texas is in the cards this spring. Golden Age Flash will make an appearance at SDCC this year. You?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »
No WonderCon for me this year. A visit to a daughter in Texas is in the cards this spring. Golden Age Flash will make an appearance at SDCC this year. You?

You could try to find a small con local to you to test out the costume. Sounds great! I will be on the looking for you at SDCC!

I have a Handmaid costume that I tested out at NYCC last fall. It looked great, but had a few 'wearability' issues, so I'm making some fixes and it will go through another run at ECCC. Hopefully it will all be straightened out by SDCC!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

I don't have Con dreams this early.  Maybe during Pre-Reg and Reg, but I don't typically have any panic dreams until July/late June.  I had a dream last July that for some reason my then 3 year old was somehow in the panels with me for PREDATOR and HALLOWEEN and I knew 1) I was probably freaking him out and 2) my wife was gonna kill me.  The week of, I'll have Con-dreams about stuff like forgetting my badge on Saturday morning, or somehow screwing up line-up plans.  I'm local so I don't have to worry about flights, or hotels or anything: just badges for the fam+friends & parking.

This year I suspect I'll have a lot of Con dreams, if not sleepless nights.  For well over a decade I've been taking a good friend of mine and his son on Sunday.  My buddy has been sick since I've known him, due to toxic chemical exposure when he was in the army (and other things).  This fall he was diagnosed with cancer that has been extremely aggressive, and the time we've been dreading for roughly 15 years seems very close to happening.  There's a very good possibility he won't be alive this year by the time Comic-Con rolls around, or at best incapacitated.  Even though he and his family live in another county from San Diego nowadays (Temecula), I'll be damned if I don't do everything possible to at least make sure his son goes with us to Comic-Con this year.  But this is going to be a hard year for me, short of some sort of miraculous health improvement. 
I know, of course, On a long enough timeline the survival rate for all of us drops to zero ($.02 to whomever wrote the screenplay to FIGHT CLUB).  It'll just take some time for me to get used to the idea that the survival rate for my good buddy is rapidly approaching zero.

*edit*
I don't mean to derail the thread with a bummer.  I know return you to our regularly scheduled bit of Comic-Con fun and escapism  ;)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #459 on: January 25, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »

thelegalgeeks Registration now open on The Legal Geeks for our Star Trek Elimination of Bias webinar on January 29 at 1200pm PST.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »
8)

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
Lol!

As a Spidey fan, I want that!  :D
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
8)

Love it!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
8)

Peter Porker the Spectaular Spider-Ham! 

They really didn't think through his name when they created him.  :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
Future Programming Staff Member, they're playing your song:

Temporary Programming Staff Member

San Diego Comic Convention is looking for a Temporary Programming Staff Member. The long term assignment will start in late February/early March 2019 until the end of August 2019. The programming department is responsible for putting together all aspects of the Convention’s pop culture panels featuring a wide variety of topics and diverse panelists, as well as specialty events, i.e. eSports. The selected individual will be involved in the office tasks and projects to get prepared for the Conventions, as well as onsite duties for both WonderCon and Comic-Con. WonderCon takes place at the end of March and Comic-Con is at the end of July. 2019 is our 50th Comic-Con Show.

In the office, tasks and projects could range from gathering and organizing supplies, to putting pertinent information on Excel spreadsheets, to doing website edits. We rely on over 60 volunteers during WonderCon and over 120 volunteers during Comic-Con, so tasks will include preparing materials for volunteers to use, knowing how they’re asked to use them, and knowing the guidelines they’re asked to follow when managing a panel room. There may also be special pop culture convention research projects given to this staff member by the Senior Director.

Working onsite at WonderCon is a training opportunity for the temporary staff member, This person will shadow one or more Programming team members to observe how they manage panel rooms, answer questions, respond to calls, handle giveaways and technical checks, and give room announcements (if needed). Once at Comic-Con, the staff member will be assigned specific panel/event venues to oversee at surrounding hotels and other offsite locations.

The skills and knowledge that a qualified candidate must have include:

Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
    Experience with Google Applications, esp. Drive, Sheets, Docs, and Calendar
    Strong organizational skills (ability to prioritize tasks)
    Strong time management skills (deadline-driven)
    Strong oral and electronic communications skills
    Ability to balance working with a team and independently
    Strong customer-service skills
    Must have comics and pop culture knowledge
    eSports knowledge is a plus

The background and experience that the candidate must have include:

Experience planning and executing events for an organization or client
    Experience leading a team of adults
    Experience collaborating with others to plan and execute an event

Other relevant people skills include:

Being calm under pressure
    Ability to take and follow-through on instructions
    Being comfortable with acknowledging what they don’t know and taking the next step, which is to seek the proper
    channel to get that information.

Please submit a cover letter and resume for review to [email protected].