Author Topic: SDCC 2022: July 20-24, San Diego  (Read 14984 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
SDCC 2022: July 20-24, San Diego
« on: December 14, 2021, 07:37:10 AM »
Yay!

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
Re: SDCC 2022: July 20-24, San Diego
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »
You beat me to this. :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:34:33 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yay!

LET'S DO THIS!!!!    :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 04:55:17 PM »
Wait what?! I was just lamenting to a friend wondering if Comic Con would return this year! I shall continue to cross my fingers.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:25 AM »
I am hearing vendors are getting confirmation of their booths, sounds promising.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
I am hearing vendors are getting confirmation of their booths, sounds promising.
Yeah I've seen on Twitter both artists (like Patrick Ballesteros) and companies (Toddland) posting they're confirmed that their 2020 roll-over is good to go.  Looking at current COVID numbers starting to plummet, I think Comic-Con 2022 is in good shape.

Also weird to think: the last Comic-Con Marvel panel had Chadwick Boseman on stage hyping BLACK PANTHER sequel  :(

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 09:40:04 AM »
  Looking at current COVID numbers starting to plummet, I think Comic-Con 2022 is in good shape.
They have gone down before....we just have to hope for no more major variants/waves.  I so want it to be summer in San Diego again....but with no Hotel Lottery info yet it seems even SDCC is waiting for a better forecast.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:21:46 AM by stl_ben »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 10:16:10 AM »
They have gone done before....we just have to hope for no more major variants/waves.

I don't think it matters anymore at a societal level.  It happens during every pandemic.  People are just over it.  Unless we need to step over bodies while shopping at the grocery store, I don't think we will see closures either mandated by the government or by corporations.  The omicron surge we are hopefully on the other side of was worst than any surge before it by a wide margin, yet the response from the government and by society as a whole has been pretty muted.  It's the lowest response we've gotten of any surge.  That trend will continue.  For example, Denmark didn't just drop all restrictions they declared covid over.  They declared it no longer a threat to society.  This while they also are in the midst of their biggest surge ever.

Personally, I'll be wearing a mask at the next comic-con.  Now that it's acceptable in public in the US, I'll wear one just because I don't want to catch a cold.  But I think there will be a next comic-con.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »
I don't think it matters anymore at a societal level.  It happens during every pandemic.  People are just over it.  Unless we need to step over bodies while shopping at the grocery store, I don't think we will see closures either mandated by the government or by corporations.  The omicron surge we are hopefully on the other side of was worst than any surge before it by a wide margin, yet the response from the government and by society as a whole has been pretty muted.  It's the lowest response we've gotten of any surge.  That trend will continue.  For example, Denmark didn't just drop all restrictions they declared covid over.  They declared it no longer a threat to society.  This while they also are in the midst of their biggest surge ever.

Personally, I'll be wearing a mask at the next comic-con.  Now that it's acceptable in public in the US, I'll wear one just because I don't want to catch a cold.  But I think there will be a next comic-con.

I think you're completely right about all of this, although I don't think it's the wisest course for society. But we can't do anything about that on an individual level.

However, I also think CCI has shown itself to be *more cautious* as an organization than most (not just about the coronavirus, but in general), so I'm somewhat unsurprised that they're still holding off on Wondercon/hotel sale/etc announcements. Fingers crossed we get some information soon.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »
If this pandemic has showed us anything is that we should probably be wearing masks in large crowds anyway and especially while sick. We were literally ok with getting Con Flu for a long time there. I was lucky enough not to get it but will still be way more diligent about hand washing and will be wearing a N95 inside the convention center.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 12:31:41 PM »
If this pandemic has showed us anything is that we should probably be wearing masks in large crowds anyway and especially while sick. We were literally ok with getting Con Flu for a long time there. I was lucky enough not to get it but will still be way more diligent about hand washing and will be wearing a N95 inside the convention center.

If you are sick, shouldn't you be staying home?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 12:42:10 PM »

In an ideal world, sure. But people often have to go to work or get fired, or absolutely need to go somewhere for some other reason. Also, not every cold (or is it an allergy/hayfever? who knows?) you get is going to kill other people if they get it, and staying home 100% of the time for 3-5 days until you're reasonably sure (but still basically just guessing) you're no longer contagious is pretty unfeasible for most people.

Masking when you've got minor symptoms seems much more realistic and doable.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
If you are sick ...STAY HOME!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »

I'm old enough to remember that if you stayed home just because you had the sniffles, you were considered a slacker.  It is absolutely what people should do.  Even before covid.  But as has already been pointed out, not everyone has that luxury.  Many people would get fired for taking a few days off.  A small business owner gets no sick days.  They don't have a choice.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 12:59:43 PM »
In a perfect world? Of course. In this case, plenty of folks spent hundreds on badges, a grand on airfare, and thousands on hotel.  With so many "must see/must buy/must experience" things at SDCC, I can see why people would say 'damn the flu' or whatever and push themselves to attend.  I've never gotten 'Con Crud' but as I've gotten older I've definitely pushed myself through aches, pains, allergies, stomach issues, etc. to attend.  None of those are contagious, of course, and if I were legit sick I'd absolutely stay away from a crowd (caveat, I live about 20 mins. from downtown San Diego & have attend the last 20 SDCC's so that's an easier decision for me than for, say, someone who flies to Comic-Con from The Philippines for their one-and-only SDCC).