Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread  (Read 62286 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
Please use this thread to discuss volunteering at Comic-Con 2017 or ask questions about volunteering in general.

(Battling post con blues by starting the ball rolling for 2017!) :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:57:03 PM by Angology »
Ang

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
Re: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
So Jan. we all will hear something about returning, right? Thinking this by looking at the 2015 and 2016 threads and when new volunteers can sign up.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:05:31 AM »

Offline Matthew9543

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »
This year will be my first time around. I have school though in the mornings during the New Volunteer sign up, so hopefully I will be able to get in!

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
Sorry if this can be found elsewhere but when does the volunteer interest list usually open up?  I have some friends I'm been trying to get to start joining us in SDCC but money is an issue so was thinking this could be an option for them. Thanks in advance.

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry if this can be found elsewhere but when does the volunteer interest list usually open up?  I have some friends I'm been trying to get to start joining us in SDCC but money is an issue so was thinking this could be an option for them. Thanks in advance.

I think it's around January/February usually? It's about the time after volunteer vets confirm their return.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
I think it's around January/February usually? It's about the time after volunteer vets confirm their return.

Usually, it's mid- to late February.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
If they have never signed up, the Interest List, where you get put on the email, should open before the year is out.  Last year, for 2016, the List opened up on Sept 30 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  and lasted over 10 days.  Make sure they have a Member ID now!

Then, watch for the actually sign up in the early part of the year...
Usually, it's mid- to late February.
...because that one fills up fast!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:50:45 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
I'm curious, what's the appeal in volunteering? Comic-Con is one of few "vacations" I take each year and I don't really see why someone would want to work through it.

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
I'm curious, what's the appeal in volunteering? Comic-Con is one of few "vacations" I take each year and I don't really see why someone would want to work through it.

It depends on the person. For me, I've always like being involved - usually behind the scenes stuff is my jam. Volunteering is really fun - this year was the first time I didn't do a precon shift and it's actually the most fun I've had in the 3 years I've been volunteering. The people make it a great atmosphere so it never feels like work and really, all I did was work the attendee reg this year (the people who handed you your lanyard, bag etc). Besides, to me it's only 3 hours and they give you a free day which is nice. For my Canadian friend, the conversion rate isn't too great so volunteer is a good alternative if your budget is tight.

I've literally met volunteers who were surprised I had a badge and still chose to volunteer. Either they were never able to get a badge or they just didn't wanna spend the $ and volunteering is how they get in every year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:11:33 PM by indiglow »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 10:32:34 PM »
The Interest List usually opens up before the year is over -- last year it was September -- as SamTurtledove pointed out. Overall, it should pop up sometime in the fall.

Do take note, last year, registration (the Feb. one) stayed open for almost 2 hours. It was weird but I'm guessing no PN was the reason. I doubt it will happen again but it could.

It is easy work (though still be at your best), and the time you pick/get, you are still able to enjoy the Con. I did by selecting a certain time that made it possible, which I won't say online. >:D You also make new friends, work with your buddy, and get a cool free shirt. You can still do Hall H on Saturday, btw. I know two (2) that did Hall H on Saturday before heading for a later shift, so you can still have that vacation, just make sure you want to volunteer. I enjoyed it and can't wait for next year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:38:38 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »

You only have to volunteer 3 hours per day and then you get the rest of the day for free. There’s a lot of flexibility (i.e. signing up for a particular shift is not required that far ahead of time) and they usually work with you on timing, it’s very possible you can volunteer and see what you want (as long as it’s not something that requires spending all day in line). Also, if you’re lucky/quick enough to get a pre-con shift then you can get an entire other day for free. This year I volunteered on Wednesday (pre-con) for 3 hours and chose my free day on Friday where I spent all day (10 AM to Midnight...14 hours) in the convention center in the Exhibition Hall or in panels. 14 hours to enjoy the con in exchange for 3 hours of my time...not a bad ratio. On top of that, you don’t have to pay a cent and get a nifty T-shirt.

If nothing else, it’s another chance to get in if you miss out/don’t get the preferred days during the general sale. (As long as you’re willing to go all in -- As Mario Wario said, the work is not that difficult, but you should still be at your best.)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
In the past, they have said that volunteers in good standing are invited back and do not need to sign up for the interest list.

Do they indicate anywhere if you are in good standing/will be invited back? While my supervisor seemed very happy with our group, I ask because the interest list closes before they send out the invitations to returning volunteers, so if for some reason I don’t get an invitation I want to be eligible for regular volunteer registration.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline nvj29

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »

This was my 3rd year volunteering and the most days I've ever participated. I did 3 days this year due to only able to buy a Sunday badge. That's the main reason why I volunteer, plus the other perks you get. A friend volunteered for the first time this year, he enjoyed and will do it again, his cousin as well will try. I always try to pick a different job/location to work my 3 hours so I can a different view of SDCC. I plan to volunteer any days that I don't get a badge for as long as I attend SDCC. One thing I like about it is that it's only 3 hours, free badge for the day, free t-shirt and pick any time during the day. Best part you can decide what time to volunteer after after the full panel scedule is posted, because you do not register until you arrive.

Other conventions that I'd like to volunteer at require you to do it everyday or work at least 6 hours, that's a lot and takes up half a day at the con.
Posts, retweets, live tweets & comments of all things related to Me & My Nerd. @MeMyNerd/twitter & Tumblr

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
In the past, they have said that volunteers in good standing are invited back and do not need to sign up for the interest list.

Do they indicate anywhere if you are in good standing/will be invited back? While my supervisor seemed very happy with our group, I ask because the interest list closes before they send out the invitations to returning volunteers, so if for some reason I don’t get an invitation I want to be eligible for regular volunteer registration.
Unless you had any issues with department managers or staff, you should be fine.  If you did a satisfactory or excellent job during a volunteer shift and turned in your "S" card (volunteer shift cards), you can just wait for the returning/priority volunteer sign-up.  That happens at least a week or two before the first-time volunteer sign-up.

Also, if you were a volunteer before, you do not need to join the interest list for new volunteers.

Hope that helps.  ^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »
I'm definitely interested in volunteering whether I get badges or not. Like someone else mentioned, I like seeing behind-the-scenes :) I wish I was able to volunteer this year though, those Spock T-shirts are simply AWESOME!
-----
Be Water, My Friend