Author Topic: Family of 6, 1 kid doesn't have badge?  (Read 7297 times)

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
Re: Family of 6, 1 kid doesn't have badge?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All of the examples have to do with what's perceived as "special treatment." And to point out that nothing is black and white.
To me giving something to someone when you would not give it to someone else is special treatment.
I know if i contacted CCI and told them i needed an extra ticket for my group they would tell me no. So when someone else asks for the same thing and gets it that is special treatment. If you want to say that special treatment in some cases is ok that is one thing but i don't see how you can say it's not special treatment.

A family with kids is not "more important than anyone else." It is up to CCI's discretion.   CCI is also a business. And as a resident of San Diego, I can tell you that a family of 6 will tend to spend more money than a childless couple. From the business perspective, why wouldn't I want them to come?

CCI is supposed to be a non profit so who spends more shouldn't be a factor to them. And I'm not really sure who will spend more money. A lot of time a larger family may spend less since they may have to be more frugal in order to afford to bring everyone. If a larger family is coming from out of town they may be spending a lot of money just to get to and for the hotel so they may not spend as much on food or other things while at comic con. I'm sure having a large family is expensive and a childless couple may have more disposable income then someone with a family of 6.

I'm not against the discussion. I just found it passive aggressive to start a drawn out discussion on the thread of someone who was asking for the advice/help. If you felt they shouldn't be extended the courtesy and stay home, say it.  I respectfully disagree with that stance.

I was thinking about starting a separate thread but by the time I started posting the op had already gotten the advice they needed and contacted CCI. So i figured it would be ok for this thread to get a little off topic. And i don't think i was being passive aggressive at all. I thought I was pretty clear in how i felt but if not i feel that unless CCI is going to give extra tickets to any group that does not get the amount of tickets they need then they should not be giving extra tickets to anyone. If that means that a group has to stay home because they didn't get the amount of tickets they need well that's the price we all pay for CCI having to have a ticket limit to try to combat scalping.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
Good luck Alwaysmidnight! Hope a solution presents itself

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:38:00 PM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
What about a husband and wife who both want to go but they are only able to get one badge? Should the husband or wife just go and tell the spouse sorry i'll let you know how it is? I'm sure that will go over really great. What's the difference? Just because one involves kids? Why should people with kids be given special treatment just because they made a choice to have kids and someone else didn't. It would be different if this was a kids event but it's not, it's supposed to be for everyone all inclusive.
I know people wont agree with me but it's just the way i feel.

It's not about the people who have kids or the decision to have kids, it's about the kids themselves. They aren't asking for a special badge for themselves, they're asking for the kid. CCI makes it pretty clear that it's a family-friendly event, if I had to pick a classification for SDCC I would call it a "family event" first and foremost over an "adult event, single event, couples event," etc. Also, during the Talk Back panel I specifically remember John Rogers saying "kids are the future of Comic-Con" in response to one lady who suggested they raise the children's badge price in order to make people think twice about bringing kids.

I don't have kids, and actually have been in the situation you mention. I went, but the significant other wasn't able to. The SO wasn't too happy about that...but had to get over it. :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:36:19 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
[member=4359]Alwaysmidnight[/member]  Did you ever hear back from CCI? What was their response?

Offline Alwaysmidnight

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »
A spouse would normally be able to purchase 3 tickets... therefore there's not really any reasoning to that unless they were the one person to get the very last ticket of the badge sale. If you were a single person in a group of 4 friends,  and your one friend didn't get a badge,  your not going to be effected in the same way.  But if your a family of 6, who bought 3 badges which they imposed a limit on, and 2 of them are free, that's a  unique situation where its a courtesy for them to help us out if they decided to offer us a badge to attend. Next year,  we wont be able to attend unless we have 5 badges, so it its just this year that this situation would apply.  As we wouldn't ask for 2 more...We have worked out a solution with comic con.
Also I would assume that families with children bring about a positive image that comic con can sometimes lack lately with some incidents that have occurred as well as the costumes that aren't exactly family friendly, so I'm sure it's good for their image and the future of attendees. Friends aren't comparable to families with children that can't be left home alone While the rest of your family attends comic con. I'm sure it cuts down on people who are desperate and trying to buy an extra ticket as well. 

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
They took care of you! Congrats!

Offline Alwaysmidnight

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
Also I wanted to mention this isn't like we are planning to go every year or next year even.  This is just a one time thing most likely we won't be able to afford another trip.  We went in 2015 and my husband didn't go,  I went and bought the 2 teenagers badges and my younger 2 were free.  This time I wanted my husband to experience it with me,  and we will just be bringing the youngest for one day.
So its not like we're asking to do this every year .. one time is enough,  I wouldn't expect anything again..

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »
Also I wanted to mention this isn't like we are planning to go every year or next year even.  This is just a one time thing most likely we won't be able to afford another trip.  We went in 2015 and my husband didn't go,  I went and bought the 2 teenagers badges and my younger 2 were free.  This time I wanted my husband to experience it with me,  and we will just be bringing the youngest for one day.
So its not like we're asking to do this every year .. one time is enough,  I wouldn't expect anything again..

I am really glad you were able to work something out with CCI!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 05:40:16 AM »
....We have worked out a solution with comic con.

[member=4359]Alwaysmidnight[/member] I am not surprised that a solution was found. and am glad your daughter is able to come! i think you said she is planing on cosplaying?
if you get a chance & are in town on tuesday we have an informal meet up in front of the starbucks at the hilton bayfront. it's casual & family friendly, it starts at 4. There was quite a lot of people last year.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »
So glad you were able to get everyone in, Alwaysmidnight! *hugs*

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
im glad CCI was able to help you out.

ive heard a lot of similar stories from people in line of CCI helping people out in similar situations as yourself.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »
We have worked out a solution with comic con.

Very happy for you all!
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
[member=4359]Alwaysmidnight[/member] So glad to hear that everything worked out for your family. As Alyssa mentioned earlier if you and your family are in town on Tuesday we have an meet-up in front of the Hilton Bayfront starting at 3pm till around 6pm, feel free to stop by and meet some of your fellow FoCC members. It is very casual and family friendly.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23