Author Topic: Couldn't get lanyard or bag  (Read 4900 times)

Offline mychaelp

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
Couldn't get lanyard or bag
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
I arrived yesterday 11am. I have a badge but no lanyard or bag. Was told to get in the line outside that was 2 hours long. So I went inside since I already have a badge. Was told in there to go to Sails. Got there, they said that was Exit Only and to go back outside to the 2 hour line. Went to another staff. They said to go to Ballroom 20. Went there, was turned away. Used duct tape to hold the badge to my shirt. Any idea where I go to get my lanyard and bag? 4 different staff told me 4 different places to go. I am going back on Saturday. any help is appreciated. I haven't been there since 2 years ago and it was so easy then. Why make me wait 2 hours when I already have a badge?
Thanks

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
Re: Couldn't get lanyard or bag
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
That's weird, I was able to get mine from a short line that entered at "G" on Wednesday with pretty much no wait. Hope you get it worked out. Seems you have yet to talk to the right person!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:58:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
Go to the escalator in the lobby outside hall B or C.  Then go to the Sails Pavilion.  It's on the map in the quick guide or you can ask security.  The beginning of the day is the busiest, but around noon, it should be walk right thru.

Offline mychaelp

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Tried that but they said to go back outside in the line for badges. Then I tried going the back way to Sails and they said it was exit only. Asked for comic Con information desk and they guided me back outside. I gave up and borrowed tape for the badge. Horrible organization in the 8 years I've been there.  How do you get to Sails without waiting in long line outside with everyone getting badges? The escalators were blocked off except from the long line outside. I wrote comic Con but no reply. Seems impossible at this point.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
At the beginning of the day, the line is the inky option.  Later in the day you can walk right in.

From the escalator top, turn right for a short distance, the left into the glass doors and follow the signs.

Hope this helps

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:21:17 AM »
Based on what I saw today, you need to go in through the doors for Hall D, take the escalators to your right, then go out through the rightmost doors and continue through the outdoor promenade area to the Sails area.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
Huh. Everytime I took an escalator up. There was someone there saying "bags and lanyards" this way.

Offline mychaelp

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Huh. Everytime I took an escalator up. There was someone there saying "bags and lanyards" this way.
I think my mistake was that I told them I had a badge, because they said if you have a badge to go to Ballroom 20, and that made no sense. I never could get it. I went back on Saturday morning and the staff would not let me in. So I bought a lanyard that I'll save for other years. I wanted to get the souvenir book for reading later but oh well. I've been for 9 out of the last 10 years, only missing last year and this was the worse I had been treated. But that is just for the staff related to the badge parts. All of them were horrible to me and my wife. One even grabbed my wife's arm when we tried to enter from the Sails area and told us to go back outside to get in there and then up the escalator. But that was the problem. Each time we did that we made the mistake of showing that we had a badge. ugh. I might try again next year, or fake a piece of paper that looks like a confirmation page and say I don't have a badge just to get in there.
Other staff were great, our first time trying out the professional lounge too, and the free coffee there was helpful. Got in to all the panels we wanted, although getting around outside this year was difficult. I like at Wondercon that you can be near the convention without a badge.
Thanks to all who tried to help me. Maybe it was just bad luck?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
How frustrating, sorry you had to go through that. This was our first time to be able to visit the professional lounge too, (actual coffee cups with saucers :) ) We could never figure out how to get to the professional entrance on the mezzanine in the morning, I saw where it was but staff didn't seem to have any idea and we got redirected to the point where we just gave up, one person in the back said to go to the elevator, the person at the elevator said to go to the front, the person at the front said to go to the back, etc.)

We have an extra souvenir book that I can send you, send me a pm if you want.

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
I think my mistake was that I told them I had a badge, because they said if you have a badge to go to Ballroom 20, and that made no sense. I never could get it. I went back on Saturday morning and the staff would not let me in. So I bought a lanyard that I'll save for other years. I wanted to get the souvenir book for reading later but oh well. I've been for 9 out of the last 10 years, only missing last year and this was the worse I had been treated. But that is just for the staff related to the badge parts. All of them were horrible to me and my wife. One even grabbed my wife's arm when we tried to enter from the Sails area and told us to go back outside to get in there and then up the escalator. But that was the problem. Each time we did that we made the mistake of showing that we had a badge. ugh. I might try again next year, or fake a piece of paper that looks like a confirmation page and say I don't have a badge just to get in there.
Other staff were great, our first time trying out the professional lounge too, and the free coffee there was helpful. Got in to all the panels we wanted, although getting around outside this year was difficult. I like at Wondercon that you can be near the convention without a badge.
Thanks to all who tried to help me. Maybe it was just bad luck?

I managed to get a bag Saturday, but it was very confusing.  You had to enter the little outdoor lobby of Sails through the Ballroom 20 side.  If you entered from the Ballroom 6 side, that was badge pickup only, and when I asked where to go I was turned away with confusing directions. 

They seemed to be having trouble Thursday, too; the bag/lanyard line was a mile long and not moving. 

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »
Yeah, it took us about an hour and a half to try and get bags and lanyards. Most of that time was spent circling around because we asked about 5 people (volunteers and a couple of blue shirts) where to go. Each time we got contradictory information. Finally, we happened to ask the final volunteer we tried, and a congoer happened to be beside them and said.

"Oh no, that's generally correct but to actually get IN, there's a line right now and you have to go through this way and join the line."

So the final volunteer got it right, but we had to get explanations as to HOW to get to the end of the line from someone who had already done it. The other for volunteers/blue shirts said completely different answers... including the first one who told us to go to the COMPLETELY wrong place, for either the actual bags/lanyards and to find the line. So I'm not sure what they were told or thinking at all.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
I arrived yesterday 11am. I have a badge but no lanyard or bag. Was told to get in the line outside that was 2 hours long. So I went inside since I already have a badge. Was told in there to go to Sails. Got there, they said that was Exit Only and to go back outside to the 2 hour line. Went to another staff. They said to go to Ballroom 20. Went there, was turned away. Used duct tape to hold the badge to my shirt. Any idea where I go to get my lanyard and bag? 4 different staff told me 4 different places to go. I am going back on Saturday. any help is appreciated. I haven't been there since 2 years ago and it was so easy then. Why make me wait 2 hours when I already have a badge?
Thanks
Yikes so sorry that fiasco happened to you! If you don't mind paying for shipping cost I don't want my lanyard :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
Had a very similar experience trying to get my bag and lanyard. I didn't get the lanyard and bag till Saturday. I tried a bunch of times on Thursday and Friday and every time i went to try i was told to get in this super long line that from my estimation was going to be at least an hour. I was not waiting an hour for the bag and lanyard. So Thursday and Friday i just kept my badge in my bag and took it out when i needed it. But most of the time i was walking around without it out and no one ever said anything. If they want me to wear the badge at all times then they should have sent the lanyard with the badge or made it a lot easier and quicker to get. Spending an hour or more on a line to get it was not an option for me. NYCC just has the lanyards out in barrels as you walk in and you just grab one as you go. I just don't get why they want to make us wait in even more lines for something like lanyards. I'm really beggining to think SDCC just likes to make people wait in lines.

Offline mychaelp

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
Thank you to all who offered a souvenir book or lanyard. Reading additional replies it appears I wasn't alone. It's crazy that every other year I've attended, back when you didn't get the  badge in the mail. The longest I waited was about 2 minutes to get the badge and lanyard. And that included the time to get my I.D. out of my wallet. I think Comic Con may have saved money by mailing them and staffing 1/10th or less the staff. Hope they fix it for next time. I had NO such issues at Wondercon this year by the way.
Maybe Comic Con could give their staff a multi-page printout noting where certain things are located.
The line outside just to get a lanyard reminded me of the 1st year of Comikaze, with their line to nowhere. I remember 100 degrees outside and 2 lines that wrapped around the building. Noticed they just lapped each other and there was a nother shorter line that actually went inside. Luckily I happened to see an open door at the side and just walked in. I felt guilty, but it was so hot and no one would help us really there. This had that same feel to it outside.
Serious lack of communication among their staff at Comic Con. After all these years you'd think they would have it set by now. Glad to know that not everyone had our difficulties.
It was a fun convention, but crowds outside were gigantic and hard to navigate. Too bad you have to leave the building to get to other panels. One reason I love Wondercon more now.

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
It was strange because last year I got my bag and lanyard early in the con and it was easy; tap, walk through, be handed your stuff, keep moving.  I don't know why the lines got so long and slow at points this year. 

It would make a lot of sense to mail the lanyards with the badges, now that they're doing the fancy box thing.  Bags and books are negotiable, but people want something to hang their badge on right away.  I just brought one from home, but not everyone has them handy.