Author Topic: Pros/Cons of a Professional Badge?  (Read 8763 times)

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
Pros/Cons of a Professional Badge?
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
Anyone have a shortlist on the pros/cons of a professional badge?

There was a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginfrom back in 2014 that seemed relevant, but I thought I would start a new one asking this specific question to see if there have been any updates since then. My wife is a potential candidate which would also mean I have a shot at getting a professional "guest" badge. Just curious if there are things you can't sign up for, etc. with a professional badge or if it's the equivalent of having a standard badge plus a few perks (feel free to let us know of the perks, too).
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: Pros/Cons of a Professional Badge?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone have a shortlist on the pros/cons of a professional badge?

There was a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginfrom back in 2014 that seemed relevant, but I thought I would start a new one asking this specific question to see if there have been any updates since then. My wife is a potential candidate which would also mean I have a shot at getting a professional "guest" badge. Just curious if there are things you can't sign up for, etc. with a professional badge or if it's the equivalent of having a standard badge plus a few perks (feel free to let us know of the perks, too).

PROS:
  • Pretty much guaranteed a badge without dealing with the lottery
  • You can bring a guest
  • Creative professional badges are free, but trade professionals are not

CONS:
  • If you ever lose your status, you won't be in the "returning attendee" pool.
  • Your guest doesn't get into the "returning attendee" pool either.

The badge offers no line privileges or special access.  It's just a badge.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:34:29 AM by dkd »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:50:18 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
We had pro badges this year, not as actual professionals but since any complimentary badges go through as professional ones. My son got a kick out of walking around with a pro badge, (he hated the years when he had a child badge.)

We didn't get the special box and pin that paying attendees got. And as was mentioned you aren't eligible for returning registration.

We didn't experience this, but talked to some people that had, but some people with pro badges were not allowed to draw for some signing tickets. Presumably because there is a special entrance for pros at the back of the convention hall on the mezzanine level. (Having said that, we could never figure out how to get to that entrance and staff never seemed to know what we were talking about.)

You get access to the pro lounge which has free coffee. Free coffee is always good.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
We didn't experience this, but talked to some people that had, but some people with pro badges were not allowed to draw for some signing tickets. Presumably because there is a special entrance for pros at the back of the convention hall on the mezzanine level. (Having said that, we could never figure out how to get to that entrance and staff never seemed to know what we were talking about.)

You get access to the pro lounge which has free coffee. Free coffee is always good.

I never heard of a special entrance.

I haven't partaken of the Pro Lounge.  I forget that is a perk.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
I never heard of a special entrance.

I haven't partaken of the Pro Lounge.  I forget that is a perk.

I should have taken a picture of it, but one of the doors on the Mezzanine level had a sign saying Professional Entrance or something like that.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »
Even if there is a special entrance on the Bay side, it's not particularly convenient enough to be listed as a perk.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
Fair enough, though if one was able to actually get to it it would let you get to some parts of the exhibit hall quickly. I mentioned it since that was the justification given to the person I talked to who was not allowed to draw for a signing. Again, this is just something I was told, didn't experience it myself and the person said it wasn't an issue in other drawings.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »
Say this 5 times fast:

The pros and cons for going pro at a con.  :)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
I was Press last year, but I'm trying to switch to Pro this year. I just feel like it's where I fit better b/c while I work for the media, it's not as a journalist, it's as a creative pro.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
Fair enough, though if one was able to actually get to it it would let you get to some parts of the exhibit hall quickly. I mentioned it since that was the justification given to the person I talked to who was not allowed to draw for a signing. Again, this is just something I was told, didn't experience it myself and the person said it wasn't an issue in other drawings.

Maybe I need to hear more about it.  I never heard of it before.  If there is an exit/entrance on that side, it might be a better way to get to the Indigo Ballroom and back than going out the front.  I missed a panel because of the crowds I encountered and the Hall H line blockage.

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
I went as a professional guest for 2 years, which is essentially a pro badge (as in you are given a professional badge).  Only 'perk' I used was the professional lounge, which had water, small snacks (from memory), wall sockets for charging things, and most importantly (for me as I have back / hip problems) - seats!

I know there was a separate line when we picked up our badges, I"m not sure if there was a separate entry for the exhibit hall, the pro I was with always did signings in sails in the morning so we just went through one of the main doors after the convention center opened and headed straight up there.

As a few others have noted, it means you can't use returning registration, but if you expect you would normally be entitled to a professional badge then I would go for it. 

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:03 AM »
The special mezzanine entrance is opened up a bit earlier (IIRC 15/30 minutes).

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »
The special mezzanine entrance is opened up a bit earlier (IIRC 15/30 minutes).

Do you know you to get to it? When we tried last year, the staff at the back wouldn't let us up and told us to go to the front. The staff in front didn't know what we were talking about and suggested we go to the back, etc.

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
Do you know you to get to it? When we tried last year, the staff at the back wouldn't let us up and told us to go to the front. The staff in front didn't know what we were talking about and suggested we go to the back, etc.

In the area in between the Autograph Area and the hallways with rooms 5-7, etc. go towards the rear and you will see a pair of escalators or two. A security person will typically be there and will let you through if you show them your pro badge.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
The big con for a pro badge you can't buy hasbro/mattel Exclusives during preview night