Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread  (Read 42863 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Congratulations to all of those who are new volunteer staffers!!  I understand emails for those have gone out. Perhaps pre-con shift opening emails will be sent out soon.  I am hoping for a pre-con shift.

Are we just talking 'new' volunteers?  I didn't receive any email, but I'm not a 'new' volunteer.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
Are we just talking 'new' volunteers?  I didn't receive any email, but I'm not a 'new' volunteer.

If I understood the tweets, these are for regular volunteers who have been upgraded to staff volunteers.  There was an interview event some weeks ago, where those who were invited got the opportunity to interview with various departments.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 06:01:42 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
If I understood the tweets, these are for regular volunteers who have been upgraded to staff volunteers.  There was an interview event some weeks ago, where those who were invited got the opportunity to interview with various departments.

Gotcha!!!
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

I wouldn't use the term "staff volunteers." You're a daily volunteer, and if you made it through the interview and got picked, you then become a staff member. I'm sure it's all semantics, but the badges to me are what matter. They distinctly say Staff and and not volunteer like they used to :) But tomato-tomahto. I do agree, congratulations to everyone who made it!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
I mean, if you're not getting paid, IMO it's definitely fair to call you a volunteer. But I can see it would be confusing to refer to them that way if their badge says staff.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
I mean, if you're not getting paid, IMO it's definitely fair to call you a volunteer. But I can see it would be confusing to refer to them that way if their badge says staff.

Absolutely. I wholeheartedly agree. To me why I differentiate, besides the actual title is that a volunteer means you volunteer. You're not denied a spot to work. Staffers have to be interviewed, have to have had a high score when they were a daily, and then be picked to become a staffer. That's why it's different, besides the lack of pay, which again I totally agree.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
I wouldn't use the term "staff volunteers." You're a daily volunteer, and if you made it through the interview and got picked, you then become a staff member. I'm sure it's all semantics, but the badges to me are what matter. They distinctly say Staff and and not volunteer like they used to :) But tomato-tomahto. I do agree, congratulations to everyone who made it!

Officially they are called "departmental volunteers".  I think they are called that to differentiate them from the paid staff even though they do have staff badges.  I think of it as unpaid staff positions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:48:13 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
It would be nice to be able to look at an organizational chart.  It does get somewhat confusing...for me anyway  ;)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
It can get confusing with volunteering.  At the last real Walking Dead Escape, some of the paid staff asked "Are you really just a volunteer?"  I said "Yes I am."  They responded "You should get paid for this."  I said "I do it for the glory..... and the t-shirt.  Mainly the t-shirt. ;)".

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Officially they are called "departmental volunteers".  I think they are called that to differentiate them from the paid staff even though they do have staff badges.  I think of it as unpaid staff positions.

It used to be called staff volunteers. But yeah departmental volunteer is what it is now.

Offline daebakhawk

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
Not sure if this has been answered before but what's the main difference  between daily volunteers and staff volunteers?  I received an email about going to orientation but unfortunately  was not able to attend.

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

It would really suck if volunteers couldn't try for exclusives or autographs :( 

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »

That sort of depends.

I'm a volunteer who also paid for an attendee badge for all days.  I'm not excluded from exclusives or autographs.  If there is a prohibition, I think it would only apply to volunteers who didn't pay for a badge for the day they are volunteering.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline daebakhawk

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »

I read about this before. I hope volunteers can participate. To me it wouldn't make sense to not have some way for them to.

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
That sort of depends.

I'm a volunteer who also paid for an attendee badge for all days.  I'm not excluded from exclusives or autographs.  If there is a prohibition, I think it would only apply to volunteers who didn't pay for a badge for the day they are volunteering.
I was referring to people who volunteer for the whole con but yes I'm aware that all paid attendees have access.

If it's all online I don't see a way for nonpaying volunteers to participate since they sign up for a shift the day before or day of. Wonder con had the lottery signups a couple weeks beforehand.