Author Topic: Questions about Badge Buying Groups?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Comico

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
Questions about Badge Buying Groups?
« on: December 12, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm going to Comic-Con in 2018 but never used a badge buying group. I want to learn about it for future reference and don't have friends or family who do Comic-Con.

What should I know about a badge buying group? What precautions should I take if others in the group are strangers? How far in advance should I look for a group to join? How do I find a group? Thank you for any help.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Questions about Badge Buying Groups?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »
Hi [member=7802]Comico[/member], welcome to the forum

actually while you may be a little early to join a '18 group, voicing an interest in a buying group early and participating in the forum is a great start.

we are hopeful we will be able to open up groups later - in time for pre-reg (Returning Registration). Folks who did not attend sdcc in '17 won't be eligible to participate but there may be a way to get newer folks into the mix. this will be up to the group leaders.

We are extremely concerned with security and safety of our members. We do a vetting process before we allow folks into our groups.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:09:04 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
[member=7802]Comico[/member]   I am sorry to tell you that all badges for SDCC 2018 have been sold. The final badge sae was last weekend. I know that they hold some brain teaser type contests for free badges in the spring, so you could always look at those, but you should probably assume that SDCC 2018 is not in the cards for you.

If you are looking to join a buying group for SDCC 2019, then you should check back on this site in the fall of next year. We will start discussing.opening buying groups for open registration (the badge sale for first-time attendees) at about that time.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi,

I'm going to Comic-Con in 2018 but never used a badge buying group. I want to learn about it for future reference and don't have friends or family who do Comic-Con.

What should I know about a badge buying group? What precautions should I take if others in the group are strangers? How far in advance should I look for a group to join? How do I find a group? Thank you for any help.
I'll give you some info from my experience:
* I had never used a badge-buying group until this year.
* I joined a line-up group here for 2017 Comic-Con that then led to me joining the badge-buying group.
* I had an 'informal' buying group between my teenaged song, wife, good friend, and bro-in-law that worked well for me previous years (2018 will be SD Comic-Con #19 for me) but I gave the buying group a try for this coming year after getting to know people in July at Comic-Con.
* the groups here have pretty strict rules as far as trust: in my group if someone else bought your badge you had until Saturday evening to paypal the money to them or else the buyer could cancel your badge and you'd be banned from the group for the future.  I don't know how well that's gone from last week overall, but the person I bought a badge for in the group paid me back almost immediately as soon as I gave him my paypal email.
* the badge groups seem to form not super-long after Comic-Con.  Maybe look to join a line-up group for 2018 Comic-Con (if you want to do Hall H, Ballroom 20, or exclusives) and then join the group's buying group afterwards.  That way you'll have gotten to know many people in the group and you can decide if you trust them enough.  I generally have had amazing luck with strangers at Comic-Con over the years, and last year's line-up group 100% convinced me to trust the group.
* the success of our group was incredible: 100% of the group got at least two days of badges (or one day if someone only wanted to go on Sunday, for example).
* it's a fairly simple process though with a (very) slight learning curve of keeping up with group chat & the master spread-sheet
* the success rates seem great for groups in general

Offline Comico

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:01:07 PM »
I'll give you some info from my experience:
* I had never used a badge-buying group until this year.
* I joined a line-up group here for 2017 Comic-Con that then led to me joining the badge-buying group.
* I had an 'informal' buying group between my teenaged song, wife, good friend, and bro-in-law that worked well for me previous years (2018 will be SD Comic-Con #19 for me) but I gave the buying group a try for this coming year after getting to know people in July at Comic-Con.
* the groups here have pretty strict rules as far as trust: in my group if someone else bought your badge you had until Saturday evening to paypal the money to them or else the buyer could cancel your badge and you'd be banned from the group for the future.  I don't know how well that's gone from last week overall, but the person I bought a badge for in the group paid me back almost immediately as soon as I gave him my paypal email.
* the badge groups seem to form not super-long after Comic-Con.  Maybe look to join a line-up group for 2018 Comic-Con (if you want to do Hall H, Ballroom 20, or exclusives) and then join the group's buying group afterwards.  That way you'll have gotten to know many people in the group and you can decide if you trust them enough.  I generally have had amazing luck with strangers at Comic-Con over the years, and last year's line-up group 100% convinced me to trust the group.
* the success of our group was incredible: 100% of the group got at least two days of badges (or one day if someone only wanted to go on Sunday, for example).
* it's a fairly simple process though with a (very) slight learning curve of keeping up with group chat & the master spread-sheet
* the success rates seem great for groups in general

Thank you for the info. What's a line group?  How early do badge buying groups on this site accept membership applications and how do I find one for 2019 Comic-Con?

Offline Comico

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
[member=7802]Comico[/member]   I am sorry to tell you that all badges for SDCC 2018 have been sold. The final badge sae was last weekend. I know that they hold some brain teaser type contests for free badges in the spring, so you could always look at those, but you should probably assume that SDCC 2018 is not in the cards for you.

If you are looking to join a buying group for SDCC 2019, then you should check back on this site in the fall of next year. We will start discussing.opening buying groups for open registration (the badge sale for first-time attendees) at about that time.

Thanks, I'm going to 2018 Comic-Con but am planning for 2019.  When should I check back for the returning registration badge buying groups?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:11:51 PM »
Thank you for the info. What's a line group?

Hello! "Line groups" are groups of people that help hold spots in line for each other.  Sometimes it takes many hours waiting in line to get into a room so it's good to have friends hold your spot while you go get food, go to the bathroom, or even go do some other convention stuff.

How early do badge buying groups on this site accept membership applications and how do I find one for 2019 Comic-Con?

There's no application process exactly and it very much depends on the forum activity.  As this forum has become more popular, groups have begun closing earlier and earlier.  This year the groups closed very early compared to other years.  My recommendation would be to hang out, get involved in the conversation, and try again next year.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to 2018 Comic-Con but am planning for 2019.  When should I check back for the returning registration badge buying groups?

After the 2018 con is over. ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »
Thank you for the info. What's a line group?  How early do badge buying groups on this site accept membership applications and how do I find one for 2019 Comic-Con?
A line group is a group of people who take shifts waiting in line.  Last year was the first year I joined a line group, after spending years in line for 24+ hours last year I spend more like 7 or 8 total for Hall H Saturday (while IIRC someone from our line got in line Thursday afternoon/evening Saturday morning around 7am for Saturday :P).  The Line group was amazing, and from there I joined the badge-buying offshoot.  It's a great way of getting into Hall H Saturday and still being able to wander around the Convention Center and actually SEE Comic-Con on Friday.  I was practically kicking myself for not doing this previously
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:06:48 AM by perc2100 »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] never give the time you got in line, it just encourages everyone to line up earlier than that.  If I say I lined up on Weds then people start lining up on Tuesday.

Well, I'm off for my Hall H line shift, we already started the the line  >:D     ;D
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] never give the time you got in line, it just encourages everyone to line up earlier than that.  If I say I lined up on Weds then people start lining up on Tuesday.

Well, I'm off for my Hall H line shift, we already started the the line  >:D     ;D
Fixed it  :P