Author Topic: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers  (Read 4110 times)

Offline frgx

• Hall H
  • Liked: 556
Re: SDCC, 2018 --Scalpers
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
This one is on Eventbrite--

"Purchased 3 4-day passes and it turns out I only need two sets so one is up for grabs."
$2000 + $80.55 fee

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 374
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
This one is on Eventbrite--

"Purchased 3 4-day passes and it turns out I only need two sets so one is up for grabs."
$2000 + $80.55 fee

Yeah, definitely report it. Where the hotel is that fee on top of that upcharge??

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
They are charging some crazy price for just the 2 days. last i read on a 4 or 5 if u got pn that it all was only like 2 to 3 hundred something that dont include a place to stay and get to con if far away lol. so they are like really trying profit on just 2 days besides the lame fee they charging.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 08:15:05 AM »
I guess it depends on the company.  Ebay takes them down

Ebay takes what down? Every year I see NYCC badges by the hundreds on ebay.  Why does anyone here care?  Badge scalping is as old as time; if there's a hot event people will resell tickets. 

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1074
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
Ebay takes what down? Every year I see NYCC badges by the hundreds on ebay.  Why does anyone here care?  Badge scalping is as old as time; if there's a hot event people will resell tickets. 

We care because it is against SDCC rules.  And we encourage our members to follow the rules.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
We care because it is against SDCC rules.  And we encourage our members to follow the rules.

Becoming the internet police is counter productive; follow the rules here fine I am 110% for that.  Take care of the people you know/family.  Trying to fence the internet is impossible; same with scalping.  There's too much incentive; also like STL ben said it's just a drop in the bucket.  At most what; 10% of tickets get scalped? 

Online semigeekgirl

• Pre-Registration
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 1315
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
Becoming the internet police is counter productive; follow the rules here fine I am 110% for that.  Take care of the people you know/family.  Trying to fence the internet is impossible; same with scalping.  There's too much incentive; also like STL ben said it's just a drop in the bucket.  At most what; 10% of tickets get scalped?

That's completely your choice! As a forum member, you're only required to follow FoCC rules when you're actually on the forum.

However, it's our choice as well if we prefer to report people selling non-transferable tickets. We know it won't stop all scalping, but some of us like to hinder people trying to get ahead of others by breaking the rules.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
That's completely your choice! As a forum member, you're only required to follow FoCC rules when you're actually on the forum.

However, it's our choice as well if we prefer to report people selling non-transferable tickets. We know it won't stop all scalping, but some of us like to hinder people trying to get ahead of others by breaking the rules.

But it doesn't hinder anything is my point.  It's also not me saying "don't tell on them" what people do with their own time is their prerogative.  I'd certainly never give anyone a hard time.  It's more a question as to the motivation;  it doesn't seem to stop or slow them down at all. Stubhub won't pull listings; and they don't reveal seller info to anyone (I've sold NFL tickets there before that I had to cancel on). 

Online semigeekgirl

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It at least wastes their time if they have to relist it. What can I say, I'm petty.

(Also I only care for Comic-Con, since it's a nonprofit and they really try to make sure that ticket price isn't the reason someone can't go. You want to resell NFL tickets, go for it - any dollar made by someone other than the NFL and team owners is a win as far as I'm concerned.)

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 180
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
My feeling is .... might not accomplish anything, but I will feel better about it if I report the infraction.
I know... tilting at windmills... but that is just the way I am.
I hope CCI is able to figure out who is doing this and revoke their badges and future badge buying privileges.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It at least wastes their time if they have to relist it. What can I say, I'm petty.

(Also I only care for Comic-Con, since it's a nonprofit and they really try to make sure that ticket price isn't the reason someone can't go. You want to resell NFL tickets, go for it - any dollar made by someone other than the NFL and team owners is a win as far as I'm concerned.)

Lol you know the NFL until recently was a non profit too right? I mean not that they're the same as SDCC.  Just saying for laughs. 

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:53 AM »
I'm hoping people don't actually buy these badges. There could be a possibility that they receive bogus badges and it not scan successfully upon entry.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Online semigeekgirl

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:39 AM »
Lol you know the NFL until recently was a non profit too right? I mean not that they're the same as SDCC.  Just saying for laughs.

I do know that, which I consider to be a tax scam. But I have no desire to discuss the NFL further.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »
If and when they start carding badge holders at random or if it ever was to happen, then those who have bought from scalpers may think twice to ever do it again. not sure how often the staff check sites or get reports of any, since i not read of badges being sent any so far. i guess like flippers , i dont like scalpers any since they will charge for profit and more if find any buyers who dont think twice and willing to pay the crazy prices they sale for if any. im thankful i found/ discovered a way to go before i went through the hassles trying to buy a badge every year.

so buyers if any will be charged alot if wanna try get from scalpers and hope they dont start carding at the door if ever in future, but i know that would just delay lines even longer if it ever happened. so time will tell if anything changes overtime.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1206
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:13 AM »

so buyers if any will be charged alot if wanna try get from scalpers and hope they dont start carding at the door if ever in future, but i know that would just delay lines even longer if it ever happened. so time will tell if anything changes overtime.

Yes, there's plenty of free events outside of convention center to splurg on!

Archive CCI policy on identification from badge purchase page