Author Topic: Spoilers: Cloverfield Paradox  (Read 1344 times)

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
Spoilers: Cloverfield Paradox
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:34:50 AM »
Interesting that they premiered it right after the Super Bowl. Did anyone watch?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:52:41 AM by darlenealderson »

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Cloverfield Paradox
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:45:19 AM »
If folks did watch & have opinions please put them in spoiler tags.  it's the icon just above the smilies with the 'Sp' on the right hand side

^^ this is until we add a spoiler tag to the the title of the thread.

I have not watched it- i will say-- Netflix dropping it during the superbowl was a marketing stroke of brilliance- it took a lot of the hype away from the 'This is us' after show- Netflix has a wacky unconventional marketing department
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Spoilers: Cloverfield Paradox
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:35:43 AM »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
It says spoilers in the title now....

I watched it last night.
I love the cloverfield movies and thought this fits perfectly in with the other movies in so much as it is once again completely unlike the others.
It isn't as originally great as Cloverfield Lane was, but better than the hand cam of the first movie.
Cast was great.  Special effects in places are good, but overall are on that direct to home level.

Online Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
I agree that it was generally good, however, I wish they had done a better job with their use of science.

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It says spoilers in the title now....

the OP added it to the title after i posted... ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
I watched it right after the game ended; honestly, if Netflix would've dropped the film at halftime I would've turned off the game to watch it.  Luckily living in San Diego I turned CLOVERFIELD PARADOX on around 7:45ish so I was good.  The movie is only a little over 90 min.

I thought the movie was pretty good: a B-movie sci-fi with junk science but some nice tension.  I personally feel like the end last shot felt really tacked on, and there to for the sole purpose to placate fans upset that CLOVERFIELD LANE (IMO pound-for-pound the best of the three by quite a lot) didn't have obvious connections to the original.  PARADOX felt like a really cool idea with not quite enough story to flesh out into feature length.  I dug the "long distance relationship" aspect between the main character and her husband, and the two stories on earth & the station station running concurrently was a cool idea.  I was more interested in their dynamic and not that interested in the space station stuff. 
Overall, though, I generally thought the movie was pretty good.  There was enough there that appealed to me.  I half expected the bunker that the husband hangs out in to belong to John Goodman's character from CLOVERFIELD LANE but thankfully the producers didn't want to make the connections to the world TOO on-the-nose.  I almost hate that the SB trailer flat-out says the movie WILL be connected to the origins of the original, and I wonder if the movie didn't end with the monster shot, and instead ended with the shuttle going through the clouds and coming into the atmosphere with a world on fire and devastated by monsters' devastation if I would've been more satisfied.  We all know that CLOVERFIELD LANE was originally a different movie with the alien ending re-shot and tacked on, and we all know PARADOX was originally "God Particle."  I'm really curious what changed when PARADOX became a "Cloverfield" movie, and how the ending might've been originally (maybe there wasn't much action going on on earth in the first place; maybe there's a completely different ending, maybe a happier one? who knows).  I would've seen this in the theater anyway, since the premise is interesting (albeit it feels a lot like THE MIST in SPACE), and I would list this as "OK/pretty good" if asked by a friend

Online Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:18:53 AM »
I watched it right after the game ended; honestly, if Netflix would've dropped the film at halftime I would've turned off the game to watch it.  Luckily living in San Diego I turned CLOVERFIELD PARADOX on around 7:45ish so I was good.  The movie is only a little over 90 min.

I thought the movie was pretty good: a B-movie sci-fi with junk science but some nice tension.  I personally feel like the end last shot felt really tacked on, and there to for the sole purpose to placate fans upset that CLOVERFIELD LANE (IMO pound-for-pound the best of the three by quite a lot) didn't have obvious connections to the original.  PARADOX felt like a really cool idea with not quite enough story to flesh out into feature length.  I dug the "long distance relationship" aspect between the main character and her husband, and the two stories on earth & the station station running concurrently was a cool idea.  I was more interested in their dynamic and not that interested in the space station stuff. 
Overall, though, I generally thought the movie was pretty good.  There was enough there that appealed to me.  I half expected the bunker that the husband hangs out in to belong to John Goodman's character from CLOVERFIELD LANE but thankfully the producers didn't want to make the connections to the world TOO on-the-nose.  I almost hate that the SB trailer flat-out says the movie WILL be connected to the origins of the original, and I wonder if the movie didn't end with the monster shot, and instead ended with the shuttle going through the clouds and coming into the atmosphere with a world on fire and devastated by monsters' devastation if I would've been more satisfied.  We all know that CLOVERFIELD LANE was originally a different movie with the alien ending re-shot and tacked on, and we all know PARADOX was originally "God Particle."  I'm really curious what changed when PARADOX became a "Cloverfield" movie, and how the ending might've been originally (maybe there wasn't much action going on on earth in the first place; maybe there's a completely different ending, maybe a happier one? who knows).  I would've seen this in the theater anyway, since the premise is interesting (albeit it feels a lot like THE MIST in SPACE), and I would list this as "OK/pretty good" if asked by a friend
I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
I loved it quite a bit. It felt a lot like Alien to me, but I LOVE Alien. I like how it's now created a multiverse for many movies to be loosely connected by what Cloverfield Station caused in this film. I see a lot of people online not understand how multiverse stories work though and are looking for solid continuity. They ain't gonna get it.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter