Author Topic: NYCC 2017 Guests  (Read 12968 times)

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
Re: NYCC 2017 Guests
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
NYCC Photo Ops are up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
NYCC Photo Ops are up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I see that Felicity Jones' photo op is $200, while William Shatner's is $100, and Mark Hamill is $250.  I can kind of understand why Hamill's is so high, but....Any ideas as to why Felicity Jones' photo op cost is so high?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:20:05 PM »

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
I see that Felicity Jones' photo op is $200, while William Shatner's is $100, and Mark Hamill is $250.  I can kind of understand why Hamill's is so high, but....Any ideas as to why Felicity Jones' photo op cost is so high?

She was the lead in a Star Wars movie in the past year? That's the only explanation that makes sense. But geez, those prices are crazy - have their been photo ops this expensive in the past? I was hoping for a chance to meet Hamill but not by doubling my entrance price.
NYCC 2009-2021

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
She was the lead in a Star Wars movie in the past year? That's the only explanation that makes sense. But geez, those prices are crazy - have their been photo ops this expensive in the past? I was hoping for a chance to meet Hamill but not by doubling my entrance price.

Agreed, she is cashing in while she can.   I can't blame her, if people are willing to pay then why not.  I for one won't pay.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
Agreed, she is cashing in while she can.   I can't blame her, if people are willing to pay then why not.  I for one won't pay.

I really liked her in 'Rouge One', but.... frack!   

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »

The most expensive single person photo op NYCC has had was Sylvester Stallone a few years ago. I forget exactly how much he was but it was over $300. I would have loved to get a photo with him but the price was crazy to me. But they sold out of the photo ops so i guess enough people thought it was worth the price.
The most expensive photo op i have ever done was with the whole original cast of Star Trek the Next Generation. Forgot exactly how much it was but it was expensive. But it was with 9 members of the cast so it seemed worth the price to me.
I don't think Felicity Jones photo op is worth $200. I don't think she is a big enough star yet to ask for that much. But fans set the prices and if people are willing to pay that much then that's what it's worth i guess.

Offline ByronTheBulb

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
Does it seem like it's taking them a while to publish the artist alley list this year? I really want to find the artists that are going so then I may reach out to some for commissions this year. The deadline for pre commissions last year was around this time for some of the artists that I was interested in.

And some of the artists I'm interested in this year are either not going or doesn't post enough information for me to know if they're going or not

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
At Celebration this year, Hamill was $200 for the photo op and Felicity was $250.  I was hoping the prices would be lower at NYCC if Topps wasn't involved, but those prices are not surprising given what they were at Celebration.
And she was nominated for an Oscar for Theory of Everything.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
Oh, and also, Felicity's and Hamill's photo ops sold out before the Celebration started too.  Like Hamill's sold out in less than a week of going on sale.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
At Celebration this year, Hamill was $200 for the photo op and Felicity was $250.  I was hoping the prices would be lower at NYCC if Topps wasn't involved, but those prices are not surprising given what they were at Celebration.
And she was nominated for an Oscar for Theory of Everything.

Ahh....the Oscar factors in, too. 

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
If anyone is cosplaying as a rouge one cosplay
I'd be interested in doubling up......

I think I will lay out the cash for the photo opp.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »
Ahh....the Oscar factors in, too.

Obviously some.  But I got Jeremy Renner's at ECCC this year, he's been nominated for two Oscars, and he was "only" $130.

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »
FYI: NYCC said on twitter some select guests will have autograph tickets on sale on Thursday 8/17:

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:47 AM »
I really don't get these prices which is why I never pay for them. These are fan events and these celebrities charge so much more than an average person really should have to spend on a photo or an autograph. Now I know you can say that for years it was cheap and now people are getting money from all those years or that they charge the exhibiting company so much therefore the cost becomes so high but I just look at it as unfair to your fan base.

They have the right to choose the price to charge and I have the right not to spend it. And for every person like me there are other people happy to pay I just think these prices are out of whack.

I don't think a photo op where in some cases actors don't even want to hug you should be more than $50. You spend 20 seconds with this person, they take a photo and you move on and there is no resell value with a photo-op.

Now if you are talking a straight autograph you can argue that there is a reseller market for the autographed item. I have 2 counters to that, first if you don't have a CoA then to me that thing is worthless if you put it on ebay, it in fact may devalue the item to me since you have no way of proving that signature is authentic. Second I think there should be a tiered price for autographs, if you want just a signature then fine whatever the person wants to charge is fair, but if you have the signature made out to you (or to someone) then it should drop to no more than $50. That drops the re-seller potential because it is personalized and allows fans to be able to afford it.
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »
...Second I think there should be a tiered price for autographs, if you want just a signature then fine whatever the person wants to charge is fair, but if you have the signature made out to you (or to someone) then it should drop to no more than $50. That drops the re-seller potential because it is personalized and allows fans to be able to afford it.

[member=1222]mllNY[/member] - I absolutely adore your idea of a tiered autograph system! Brilliant.