Author Topic: Did Cosplay Kill Comic Con?  (Read 4333 times)

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
Did Cosplay Kill Comic Con?
« on: September 23, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Wow, lots of interesting statements being made in this article and the comments. I was shocked by the guy who said they should just do away with the exhibit hall entirely.

While, I do not believe that cosplay is killing ComicCon, I can definitely see a shift in the ComicCon culture and demographics. Wondercon in San Francisco had a relatively small cosplay contingent, but it has blown up in Anaheim over the last few years.  I would say that show is almost 1 in every3 people are in costume. Did that have to do with them moving the show to a different venue or is it an example of the general demographic shift of all comic cons? What about the new wave of fans who are only there for exclusives?

I'd be interested to hear from people who go to NYCC what the cosplay scene is like. Does this forum have a large cosplay following?

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Did Cosplay Kill Comic Con?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:14:25 PM »
I've felt that the percentage of people in cosplay at SDCC has actually dropped as the crowd has changed over the years.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:09:06 AM »

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »
Really? Wow, I feel like it has really increased. I guess that is what is so interesting about these sort of topics because it seems like everyone has a very different personal experience at any given convention.

Just out of genuine curiosity, what makes you feel like it has decreased? I think it sorta depends on where you hang out at the Con maybe? In general there seems to be less people in costume in the panel rooms, and a lot more on the floor and in the lobby.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
Really? Wow, I feel like it has really increased. I guess that is what is so interesting about these sort of topics because it seems like everyone has a very different personal experience at any given convention.

Just out of genuine curiosity, what makes you feel like it has decreased? I think it sorta depends on where you hang out at the Con maybe? In general there seems to be less people in costume in the panel rooms, and a lot more on the floor and in the lobby.

My observation is based on the number of times I get annoyed per show waiting for a cosplay-photo-bubble to clear that is preventing me from where I want to go ::takes deep breath:: cross-referenced against the number of times I fall in love with Harleys or Batgirls at the show.  :)

I am only 5% kidding with that analysis.

I mostly hang out in the comics section.  Since my first show in '98, the general crowd has become much less hardcore nerdy and is trending more towards general public who like nerdy stuff.  And in my opinion, the general public is less inclined to cosplay.

When I say hardcore, I mean we didn't talk to each other back then because the person might torture you with a detailed analysis of how they make chicken jerky in their garage.  I was that happen once.  Literally.  It was brutal.

As far as the article goes, cosplay did not kill comic con in my opinion.  It's always been there.

As always, this is my opinion only.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:01:22 PM by Chris C »

Offline PlasticManJr

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »
I've felt that the percentage of people in cosplay at SDCC has actually dropped as the crowd has changed over the years.

That's my impression, too. An increase in absolute numbers over the years has probably occurred, but not in terms of percentage. Too bad we don't have stats on the number who enter the costume contest each year.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:01 AM »
A few good points in the article, but I definitely do not think cosplay is at fault.  Shifting demographics?  Yes.  Are artist and comic vendor sales in decline?  I don't question that.  But cosplay?  I don't think that's at fault.  I also think cosplay has declined as a percentage in recent years.  Since I spend so much time in lines for panels my comment is based on the people I see in line that cosplay.  Or the number of cosplayers that walk by.  That number is definitely down.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:28:25 AM »
Just an additional thought or two.  If artists want to continue to make money at the cons, perhaps they need to shift their focus with the demographics.  For example, Greg Horn, who I think usually does well at these cons did a couple of Dr. Who prints this year that I saw (and purchased) at WW Chicago.  Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were both there, which brought in a number of Dr. Who fans.  Just about everyone I talked to saw the prints and bought them.  If there are less comic book readers attending these cons and more people interested in seeing celebs, they will probably still purchase items related to the celebs and shows they are in.  I definitely think there are fewer people attending these cons that are actually interested in comics.  Most cons truly are more pop culture conventions than comic conventions, though comics still play a role as part of our pop culture.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
I've commented so many times on this on different places but here's what I keep saying.

A business is a business and you need to reevaluate how you do business every year. It doesn't matter if you're someone who has a booth at a con or a company with offices in 15 states. If you notice that hey, this show you've been attending for the past 3 years is now causing you to be in the hole, then you drop that show and either replace it with something that fits OR you stay home and work. You can easily look at the website of a con and see if it fits your vibe. If it's filled with C list celebs and random wrestlers, than maybe it's not the show for your work. There are PLENTY of smaller shows, or just more comic centered shows out there. You just have to do your research.

To blame cosplay though is lazy.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
One would think vendors do better at smaller shows. I have a friend who is a vendor and told me last year she dies better at small to mid-level shows because she is seen more at them, whereas at the big shows her booth can get lost in the crowds.

I feel like cosplayers are actually a small percentage of the total attendance. It just seems like a lot because it's not something you see every day, so it stands out, but in the grand scheme of things it's a minority overall.

What percentage do you think cosplays at SDCC? I'd put it less than 20%. I mean seriousy cosplay, not puts on a Finn hat or a superman shirt and glasses.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »
I would put it at 1%.  For example, in this photo I am seeing no cosplayers.

I think that the percentage gets rounded up because the colorful costumes stick out in our memories.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
Honestly, at SDCC a lot of cosplayers are doing photos and things outside the convention center. Or not in the main hall at least.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
It's definitely less than 20%.

When first asked if I felt there was more cosplay, my gut instinct was to say yes, but then reading the other responses, I will revise that. I think there are more cosplayers on the floor and in the corridor outside the Exhibit Hall. I think there are more cosplay gatherings and massive group photo ops on the outside stairs leading up to the Sails. But there are fewer cosplayers doing other things. When I go to a panel or line up for autographs, to meet authors, an offsite event, or to draw for tickets to something, there are very few cosplayers. Often I (or the people I am with) am the only one, especially in a smaller panel room. So based on these observations, my perception would be that  cosplay is shifting to more of a facet on its own, in certain areas, but that the number of random people walking around dressed up because they enjoy it, but who still want to experience other aspects of the con, has decreased.

Regarding cosplay being the reason sales have gone down, I think that's a poor link. It's more that more cosplay is one result of a shift in the desires/wants of people attending cons. It's clear that certain cons (SDCC being among them) are often attended by people who are far more interested in dressing up, celebrities, Halls H panels, buying exclusives, etc. than in buying art and meeting comic book artists. I will admit that I am one of them. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on buying original comic book art, because it doesn't mean that much to me, and I'd have no place to put it. Yes, it's nice to look at the booths and see the art on display, but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on it. I'd be far more interested in buying a book/comic that someone has worked on and getting it autographed right then and there. In fact, I do that a *lot* at SDCC, with both comic books/graphic novels and 'real' books. I have picked up many new books/comics because they looked interesting, and then ended up being drawn into something new. So to me, what is more interesting is a table where the author/artist is signing books they created.

In the end, YouThinkMeMad is right: for any business, if you are not making money, then you have to address the problem using measures *you* can control. If the demographics of con attendees have changed, then either you shouldn't be attending that con anymore, or you should change the nature of what you are selling/doing, or perhaps both. Clearly doing the same thing isn't going to make things suddenly improve. In the case of comic book artists, they should focus on cons that bring in attendees who are interested in what they do, or offer alternative products to entice in potential buyers, such as the guy who was doing free mini-sketches to bring people to his booth, or the person described above who brought a lot of Dr. Who art to a Dr. Who-centric con.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:45:29 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
I would put it at 1%.  For example, in this photo I am seeing no cosplayers.

I think that the percentage gets rounded up because the colorful costumes stick out in our memories.

I definitely agree.  1% may or may not be right, but it can't be much more than that.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
I am of the same believe that cosplay is not killing comic cons.  In fact, I couldn't be more thrilled that crowds even exist at a comic convention.  When I was growing up, the last thing you ever had to worry about was crowds.  So i don't care if it's cosplay, movies, tv shows or pop culture - anything that is getting more people in the same room as comics is a positive to me.  I am in huge support of the cosplayers (especially since I don't have a fraction of the creativity needed to pull off cosplaying!)

She does raise some good points in the article, but it really is all business issues.  What is the actual data? How many people are "everyone I talked to"?  If you asked every artist at the convention and no one is making money, maybe it is time to try other approaches to raising exposure.  And how many people approached the table per day?  How does she go about converting?  Just some rambling thoughts - but I think it's clear that cosplay isn't their sales problem.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Matt Hawkins who is the president of Top Cow I think posted his thoughts on this issue here: