Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74440 times)

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, adding outside events adds strength to the idea of having those who have SDCC badges of some kind to have at least first crack at getting hotels. Sure I want everyone to have fun, yet...argghhhh!  ::)
I agree. I've thought this for a long time and I know it's an unpopular opinion with some, but I'd really like to see possession of at least a single day badge being made a requirement to enter hotelpocalypse.

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »
I agree. I've thought this for a long time and I know it's an unpopular opinion with some, but I'd really like to see possession of at least a single day badge being made a requirement to enter hotelpocalypse.

It never occurred to me that it's not! You're right that it would be a different animal if that were a stipulation. On another note... we just got back from a week in San Diego on Shelter Island and it was just lovely, as it always is. :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 02:16:35 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »
After looking at a question on Reddit about Little Italy, I did a search.  I saw two (2) hotels that were not on CCI's list last year.

La Pensione - Con Dates are blacked out

Carte Hotel - Con date prices are higher

Anybody know about them. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:38:34 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »
I didn't get backups this year, for the first time. Last year I forgot to cancel one and had to eat $240. Learned my lesson  ???

I get all my backups (for literally every con) in Booking.com so at the very least, it is easy to keep track of them in one place, and cancel as required (especially if work ends up sending me)

Eating a one night charge would hurt  :'(

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2020, 05:45:13 AM »
Does anybody know which of the Mission Valley (or other Early Bird) hotels are right next to a trolley stop? I know Doubletree and I think T&C but are there others?

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »
Does anybody know which of the Mission Valley (or other Early Bird) hotels are right next to a trolley stop? I know Doubletree and I think T&C but are there others?
Town & Country & Handlery are the two closes for walking distance. I think that Doubletree is also.

Offline Applescruff

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »
I have had a lot of trouble finding a back up hotel for the last two years that has a cancellation/refundable deposit policy.  It makes going into the lottery even more nerve wracking than it used to be.

Offline Catechie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2020, 08:32:18 PM »
I was told there was a discount list of hotels, is that correct and if so where is it?

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2020, 11:33:13 PM »
I was told there was a discount list of hotels, is that correct and if so where is it?

You might be referring to the early-bird hotel list/sale. Basically, it's set hotels (basically all Mission Valley/Shelter Island) that are on sale for a slightly reduced price but they're nonrefundable/no-cancellation.  It's not through a lottery as far as I know. I don't know when abouts they go on sale before the hotel lottery.

I've no doubt they'll announce it through the Toucan Blog so if you subscribe to it, you'll see it, or when it goes live it'll be reported here. I think there are limited quantities available though of the full block CCI gets.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
You might be referring to the early-bird hotel list/sale. Basically, it's set hotels (basically all Mission Valley/Shelter Island) that are on sale for a slightly reduced price but they're nonrefundable/no-cancellation.  It's not through a lottery as far as I know. I don't know when abouts they go on sale before the hotel lottery.

I've no doubt they'll announce it through the Toucan Blog so if you subscribe to it, you'll see it, or when it goes live it'll be reported here. I think there are limited quantities available though of the full block CCI gets.

If you are referring to the Early Bird Hotel Sale it usually opens up sometimes between now and mid February. These are non-downtown hotels, mostly in Mission Valley.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:21:07 PM by f22raptor »

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
Given that the NDL is at the Marina, MGH wouldn't be too bad for Hall H shifts and wristbands.  Last year was a bit brutal when it was near the Adult Swim on the Green.  Hopefully the renovations are long done by next year, as I wouldn't mind another stay at MGH.  I'm also more prepared for the walk this time as our new office has a similar distance from the subway.

I did my Hard Rock stint this year.  My brother wasn't too pleased with the room itself but you can't beat the location or the ability to gawk.  I personally wouldn't mind staying there again but felt my room at MGH was better.  The best room I've ever had in that area was MMM but that hotel was a little too big and chaotic.

My hubby saw Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) and Benedict Cumberbatch at the Hardrock last year.

How does the hotel lottery work again? 1st time goer this year! Woot!

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
How does the hotel lottery work again?
Fun that it's your first! Comic-Con will announce the date of the hotel lottery and release the rates and participating hotel list. Then, on the day of the lottery, comes the scrum of queueing up for the online waiting room and hoping you get in quickly. When you get in you enter your top six choices and six alternates, plus they give you the option to select any hotel on the shuttle route and I think any hotel that's available. The first results start rolling out pretty quickly after the lottery and people have 48 hours to decide whether or not to lock in their reservation. A second wave of reservations goes out to lottery participants who didn't get a room in the first wave a couple of weeks later.
At least, that's from memory. Someone can correct me.

Offline aodmisery

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »
Fun that it's your first! Comic-Con will announce the date of the hotel lottery and release the rates and participating hotel list. Then, on the day of the lottery, comes the scrum of queueing up for the online waiting room and hoping you get in quickly. When you get in you enter your top six choices and six alternates, plus they give you the option to select any hotel on the shuttle route and I think any hotel that's available. The first results start rolling out pretty quickly after the lottery and people have 48 hours to decide whether or not to lock in their reservation. A second wave of reservations goes out to lottery participants who didn't get a room in the first wave a couple of weeks later.
At least, that's from memory. Someone can correct me.

can i just choose my top six choices without choosing alternates?

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:18 PM »
can i just choose my top six choices without choosing alternates?
You can, but since the option is given to choose six alternates most people also put those just as additional backups. I've entered my first choice and gotten returned my sixth choice before. But I'm sure there are others who have gotten their 7-12 choice. But if you're only gunning for a top 1-6 choice that's fine too.

Offline Kira001

• Freebie Table
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Mission Valley?