Author Topic: HALL H RFID Wristbands for 2018  (Read 8790 times)

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
HALL H RFID Wristbands for 2018
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
As reported by SDCC unofficial blog
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

New this year, Line Staff will first verify you have a badge for that day’s programming which you’re trying to get a wristband for, and then will scan your badge prior to you leaving the line. The scanning staff will “verify that your wristband is securely and then scan your badge for the next morning’s first seating of Hall H”. Then, when you enter Hall H the next morning, your badge will be scanned again. This should essentially stop anyone from camping out and then selling their wristband, or giving it to someone else.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: HALL H RFID Wristbands for 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »

Excepts.

So How Do They Work?

Toucan Tracker wristbands will be given out the night before for the next day’s Hall H first seating. For example, Saturday morning’s wristbands will be given out on Friday night.

After verifying your badge, Line Staff will hand you a wristband, which you will need to securely attach to your wrist, and then you will present your badge for scanning by staff prior to leaving the line. The scanning staff will verify that your wristband is attached securely and then scan your badge for the next morning’s first seating of Hall H. When you enter Hall H the following morning, you will need to show your wristband and scan your badge.

And Where Do You Get These Fabulous Wristbands?

Toucan Tracker wristbands will be distributed at the front of the Next Day Line for Hall H. Distribution times vary by day. Please see the map above for the location of the Next Day Line.

You will need your Comic-Con 2018 badge or barcode confirmation to receive a wristband. Please note that IDs will be checked, and the name on your photo ID must match the barcode confirmation.

DISTRIBUTION DATES/TIMES

Wednesday, July 18: Wristband distribution for Thursday panels in Hall H will begin at 8:00 PMin the general Hall H line in Plaza Park.

Thursday, July 19: Wristband distribution for Friday panels in Hall H will begin at 7:45 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Friday, July 20: Wristband distribution for Saturday panels in Hall H will begin at 9:15 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Saturday, July 21: Wristband distribution for Sunday panels in Hall H will begin at 9:00 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Please Note: Wristband distribution will continue throughout the night until all wristbands are distributed or until 7:30 AM the following day.

Remember, you do not need to wait in line overnight to receive first seating. Your wristband ensures first seating for the first panel of the day in Hall H. You are welcome to have someone hold your place in line or simply return to the end of the wristbanded line prior to 7:30 AM.

Wristbands will only be used for the first panel of the day in Hall H. Once the wristband line has been let into the hall, individuals without wristbands will be allowed to enter.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:17:23 AM by SamTurtledove »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:07:04 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
Pretty much the same as last year except they're scanning your badge as well. Which is pretty much a no-brainer, they should have done that as soon as the badges went to RFID.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Got a question.  If I get a wristband and come back by 7:30am, can I still get out of line to go grab something to eat or do I have to stay in line for the next 3 hours? 

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
I've never seen anyone be given trouble for leaving briefly for a bathroom break or food grab, but a lot of the line shuffling/reconsolidating happens after 7:30, so it can be hard to find your people again.  If you do need to leave, it's a good idea to make very sure that the people waiting around you recognize you and won't think you're cutting back in when you return.  I've even told the nearest security people that I am already here, I'm just going to the bathroom.  Personally, I wouldn't risk going far, and ideally I'd bring (or have friends bring) food before 7:30am. 

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
I've never seen anyone be given trouble for leaving briefly for a bathroom break or food grab, but a lot of the line shuffling/reconsolidating happens after 7:30, so it can be hard to find your people again.  If you do need to leave, it's a good idea to make very sure that the people waiting around you recognize you and won't think you're cutting back in when you return.  I've even told the nearest security people that I am already here, I'm just going to the bathroom.  Personally, I wouldn't risk going far, and ideally I'd bring (or have friends bring) food before 7:30am.

Eh, I've seen it plenty if you are up in the chutes.  I had to go to the bathroom and got yelled at when trying to return to the line.  They walked over to me when I rejoined my group and tried to get me to leave the line saying I wasn't allowed back in.  I don't remember how I worked around it (this was like 3 years ago) but I kept my spot.  This was ONLY in the chutes though.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
They definitely frown on people trying to get into line after 7:30AM.
Unless it is an emergency, better off not risking it.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
Good stuff. At least this knocks out the potential for fake wristbands! Little improvements

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
It also means that no one can grab extra wristbands and then pass them on to others.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
It also means that no one can grab extra wristbands and then pass them on to others.

Wasn't this already a rule? Maybe they just didnt enforce it. But I remember people always having to be in line to get a wristband. Actually saw someone ask one of the wristband distributors a couple years ago ask if they could have an extra for a friend for currently wasn't in line and got a strict NO.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Wasn't this already a rule? Maybe they just didnt enforce it. But I remember people always having to be in line to get a wristband. Actually saw someone ask one of the wristband distributors a couple years ago ask if they could have an extra for a friend for currently wasn't in line and got a strict NO.

It was already a rule, but now they have an extra level of enforcement in case someone does manage to get ahold of "extras" somehow.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »

It was always a rule, but in the past people just reached out for extra wristbands and got them. In the mad rush of wristbanding they just hand them out to anyone who sticks out their arm.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
It was always a rule, but in the past people just reached out for extra wristbands and got them. In the mad rush of wristbanding they just hand them out to anyone who sticks out their arm.

Mad rush? It still seemed like a 4 to 5 hour process.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
A few years ago, they had workers hold a rope to block off interlopers when they were giving out wristbands, but they stopped doing that for some reason. Maybe it didn’t work.

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
A few years ago, they had workers hold a rope to block off interlopers when they were giving out wristbands, but they stopped doing that for some reason. Maybe it didn’t work.

I thought that I remember them doing this for at least some part of the wristband distribution for some of the nights. They were doing this as they passed them out on Saturday night.