Author Topic: CCI 2015 Hotel Waitlist  (Read 11594 times)

Offline buffyandstuff

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
CCI 2015 Hotel Waitlist
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
Not sure if this has been addressed yet (couldn't find anything using the Search function):

My initial Hotel Reservation Request email included the correct selection for "What do you want Travel Planners to do with your request if none of your hotels choices are available?", which was to be placed on the shuttle route and be waitlisted for my original selections downtown.

However, when my Hotel Reservation Confirmation email with my assigned hotel (on the shuttle route) came through, it did NOT include the correct selection. It said I had chosen "book me into any downtown hotel" which doesn't put me on the waitlist at all.

Seeing how this whole process has been such a huge cluster-f**k, I called TP to confirm my status. I inquired about whether I was still on the waitlist and after much "hold on one moment while I check this that or the other" it was determined that I was NOT on the waitlist. She then took my email address and asked for my hotel selections. I asked if she wanted to my original selections (which were small, boutique hotels), or whichever ones I wanted. Her reply was: "what are your hotel selections...", so I went ahead and threw in a few big ones (I'm not holding my breath that I'll get one...especially now!). She then asked for my selection on what they should do if there isn't one available. I'm not sure why she asked this - if there isn't one available I'd like to keep the one I have, obviously! I asked if she knew how the waitlist process worked, and she said she didn't have access to waitlist locations.

My point is: if there is a discrepancy between your hotel request and your hotel reservation when it comes to being on the waitlist, be sure to call and check!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:08:23 AM by Zero »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: 2015 Hotel Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
The wait list is a total mystery anyway. My advice is to book when the TP reservations open up again in April.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: CCI 2015 Hotel Waitlist
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:59:49 PM »

Offline Joe2

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2015 Hotel Waitlist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Same situation as you.

After being on hold for 18 minutes I finally got an agent. He couldn't tell me if I was already on the waiting list or not but said he could put me on the waiting list now. So I did that, went through my original 6 with him. After we were done I asked if I would get some sort of confirmation email or something he said no. So I politely asked if he could read my list back to me to verify the correct choices were entered, he said he couldn't because the form had already been submitted, but he assured me he made the correct choices. He also mentioned he had a drop down list similar to what we see during registration.

Fingers crossed I get something in downtown. This post from 'catvonawesome' gives me hope

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I took a mission valley last year and got a waitlist hotel downtown in May. I have no idea how common that is. But, if its a good hotel on the shuttle route, might as well take it so you know you have something.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Added "CCI" to the title of the thread.  ^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Bako

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 130
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »
Same situation here.  I did not get a room, but on the email notification it had me on the "do not put me on the waitlist."

I called TP and after some time was able to get this corrected.  Then I followed up and asked if my waitlist request would still have my original time stamp.  Here is where I almost had a heart attack.  She said NO, your time stamp for the waitlist will be from when she just put me on the waitlist.  There are 3 of us and son is in a wheelchair so we really need something close downtown or on the trolley.  She said that is all she could do.

I called back again this morning and was told the waitlist process will start today at 12:00 noon.  I forgot to ask what time zone.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lorendahl

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
Bako,

I would expect it to be Pacific Time

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
I would think it would be eastern because they are in New York, but this is just a guess on my part.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline toffsxtufts

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
Same thing happened to me. I went from "along the shuttle route" in my hotel request confirmation to 'any downtown' in my reservation confirmation. Asked to be placed on the waitlist, although I am currently downtown at the Wyndham (possibly why my status was changed, since already placed downtown?). Probably won't do me any good. They would have to find me something before the April 15th cancellation date. I asked if deposits are transferable, if a waitlist hotel comes up after that date and was told no. I would have to cancel the current reservation and place a new one. That's not happening. I don't want to be in some place so bad to lose money on the deal.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Same thing happened to me. I went from "along the shuttle route" in my hotel request confirmation to 'any downtown' in my reservation confirmation. Asked to be placed on the waitlist, although I am currently downtown at the Wyndham (possibly why my status was changed, since already placed downtown?). Probably won't do me any good. They would have to find me something before the April 15th cancellation date. I asked if deposits are transferable, if a waitlist hotel comes up after that date and was told no. I would have to cancel the current reservation and place a new one. That's not happening. I don't want to be in some place so bad to lose money on the deal.

Last year's terms of a true waitlist after the refund days can be seen here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I did a waitlist in 2013 and in essence if TP does the waitlist the same you would still need to make a new reservations, then abide by the email's terms (i.e. do not cancel any other way except via email!). 

In 2013, I did get a waitlist room and followed the email and replied.  The second reservation was sealed with a separate CC deposit, but did not go through immediately.  After a few days, TP emailed me that the charge didn't go through.  Once I resubmitted and contacted TP, they sent another email telling me that my money got refunded from the first reservation.  So the deposit from the first hotel isn't transferrable, but what you'd want is to follow any email's procedure to get your first hotels' deposit refunded back.

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
They would have to find me something before the April 15th cancellation date. I asked if deposits are transferable, if a waitlist hotel comes up after that date and was told no. I would have to cancel the current reservation and place a new one. That's not happening. I don't want to be in some place so bad to lose money on the deal.

Last year, we got a waitlist hotel in May, well after the cancellation dates. We placed a deposit on a new/better room and replied to the waitlist email to cancel our room. We were fully refunded our deposit on the original room within a few days. It was all laid out for us in the waitlist email we received.

This was the email:

Dear Comic-Con Guest,
Thank you for contacting Travel Planners to make your hotel arrangements for Comic-Con 2014. You are receiving this email because you had been placed on a waiting list for hotel reservations.
We have received some cancellations at some downtown or proximate hotels: Search the Inventory to book your reservation here.  This is the only way to book this inventory. A two night minimum stay is required and no departures are allowed on Saturday July 26th.
This is live or real time inventory and is affected by people actively booking, changing and cancelling reservations. We cannot guarantee availability at any of your top choices, but this inventory is being exclusively offered to our waitlisted customers and is only available online.
PLEASE READ AND REVIEW SPECIAL POLICIES NOTED BELOW:
If you have booked another reservation and wish to cancel your original reservation you must do so by:
 Responding to this email with your new reservation number(s) and the reservation number(s) to be cancelled.

Your cancel fee will only be refunded if:
Your original reservation was booked into the Comic-con 2014 Event and NOT the Comic-Con Pre-Sale Event (all Pre-Sale reservations are non-refundable)
You book another hotel on the official program
You cancel via email. If you cancel online or through our contact center, your deposit will not be refunded.

All Comic-con deposit and cancel policies will apply to your new reservation, if booked.  This offer is only good at one time. We cannot process additional refunds.
This access is good until June 11, 2014 — after that time, these rooms will be opened to other guests. If you have already made hotel accommodations and want to be removed from the waitlist, please reply to this email.
Thank you,

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:37:58 PM by catvonawesome »
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline toffsxtufts

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
Thank you @samturtledove and @catvonawesome - this information is good to know. Appreciate it!

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
Does anyone know how the waitlist works?

I would assume that once they get the initial deposits, they do an inventory of what's left and if any downtowns are returned, they assign them to waitlist people.

But, there doesn't seem to be time for that before the next sale.  Waitlist people would have to be informed they can change hotels, then given 72 hours to decide and send in a different deposit, assuming the downtown hotel is a different price than their original hotel.

I don't see a bunch of people getting such emails.

Thus, I would have to conclude that they just withhold any returned downtown inventory from the April 8th sale on the assumption they have people to on the waitlist to give them to later.  But, that seems wrong somehow.

Any ideas?

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
It sounds to me they offer only returned rooms to people in the waitlist and the non booked in the sale to the general public.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
Typically the second sale, which is on April 8th this year, will only contain non-downtown hotels.

Downtown hotels will be offered up to those on the waitlist.

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »
But, there doesn't seem to be time for that before the next sale.

I got my waitlist email in May last year. Waitlist does not work the same as the general sales. The email gave me (and other waitlisted people) a link to the site to choose from downtown hotels that had become available. I don't remember how many were available. But they didn't just send me a new reservation. I had until June 11th according to the email, but it was all first come, first served on the available rooms. Basically, I had to make a new one and put the deposit down at that time before all the waitlist people reserved up all the options.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?