Author Topic: Top Gun: Maverick  (Read 2615 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Top Gun: Maverick
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:05:27 AM »
paramountpics A new class of aviators take flight in #TopGun: Maverick. See @TopGunMovie in theatres June 26.⠀
Miles Teller is Lt. Bradley “Rooster” Bradshaw.⠀
@MonicaBarbaro soars as “Phoenix”.⠀
@GlenPowell plays “Hangman”.⠀
Watch out for @JayREllis as “Payback”. ⠀
@DannyRamirez is “Fanboy”.⠀
@Lewis_Pullman gets on board as “Bob”.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
Re: Top Gun: Maverick
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:18:38 PM »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:55:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:30:13 PM »
I have to say that i am looking forward to this one.  The first is not high art, but fun to watch.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
IDK; I'm kind of over the nostalgia bug, I think.  I'll see this if it gets good reviews, but even though I was a kid who saw this in theaters (and thought it was cool at the time that the Navy & Air Force had recruiting tables at the mall multiplex I saw the movie in) and now I live in San Diego, home of the real-life Top Gun, I'm just not that interested in this movie.
We'll see, but I'm not sold on ads that make this feel like a beat-for-beat rehash of the original

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
I have to say that i am looking forward to this one.  The first is not high art, but fun to watch.

Me too.  I saw the surprise Tom Cruise appearance in Hall H.  Since then I've seen another trailer featuring the new young bucks in the fighter training school.  I'm counting on watching it when the movie comes out in theaters.  :)

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
This is guaranteed to be exactly the movie we expect it to be yet I'm so excited for it. The first came out when I was a teen and it was so fun. I'm way in for the nostalgia mixed with a new class mixed with jet scenes.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
I hope they do a bare minimum of CG and have lots of real footage.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »
I hope they do a bare minimum of CG and have lots of real footage.

I thought I saw on graham norton or somewhere else that a couple of the young cast members were taken through some flights because Tom Cruise essentially made everyone and they talked about filming in the jets. I’m sure it will be pretty practical with the aerial stuff and I love that they have Goose’s son as part of it.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »

NEW YORK (AP) — Paramount Pictures on Wednesday postponed the release of “Top Gun: Maverick," sending another of the fall's top movies out of 2021 due to the rise in coronavirus cases and the delta variant. Instead of opening Nov. 19, the “Top Gun” sequel, starring Tom Cruise, will instead debut Memorial Day weekend next year, on May 27. Additionally, “Mission: Impossible 7” will be delayed from May 27 to Sept. 30 next year.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 07:22:30 AM »
The business of filmmaking is often fascinating to me.  Tentpole films like this one typically generate a year's worth of revenue for a studio, so they need to release it when they can guarantee maximum ticket sales.  With COVID numbers out of control (again  >:( ), it makes sense to push the release back to next spring and hope the world is in a better place.

What's interesting is the new James Bond film.  It was set for release waaaaay back in early spring 2020, right before the country shutdown.  Most experts think the MGM already spent their advertising budget in 2020, and hasn't had much to show release-wise in a year and a half; CANDYMAN had a strong opening weekend and is their first bright spot of good news in about a year and a half.  They're almost certainly desperate for a return on this investment & don't own a streaming service to hedge their bets like WB & Disney.

Anyway, this armchair box office analysis brought to you by...  :P

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 09:26:11 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 09:20:48 AM »
Yeah I'm oddly still not into this movie; I guess we've gotten two trailers and still little/no hint of a plot (though to be blunt there isn't much of a plot to TOP GUN).  I can't quite put my finger on the _why_ this just doesn't feel for me: the original came out when I was almost 10 & I dug it, it feels like I still watch TOP GUN at least once a year as it's on cable so often, and I find the original pretty entertaining.  Maybe TOP GUN feels like it lives in such a specific time (mid-80's) and place, and took a relatively simple high-concept with an impeccable cast and spun gold.  I guess the original focused on Maverick, but surrounded him with great actors: Val Kilmer (hot off of TOP SECRET! and REAL GENIUS), Kelly McGillis (hot off the Oscar-nominated WITNESS), Anthony Edwards in a career-making sidekick role, and had awesome character actors Tom Skerritt & Michael Ironside - not mention small roles from Tim Robbins & Meg Ryan!  The MAVERICK cast looks solid though as well (holy cow I forgot Ed Harris is in this!!) so maybe I'm just not into this brand of nostalgia.  I felt the same about the latest GHOSTBUSTERS movie, and unfortunately that film played out about as well as I thought it would (a real solid "meh" - harmless, fun at times, but likely not a movie I'll watch much every again, nor thought much about after seeing).

I guess we'll see if Tom Cruise can still make a huge blockbuster that's not a Mission: Impossible movie.  Obviously I'm in the minority here, so hopefully this movie delivers what you all want it to; one thing is for sure, this film looks GREAT with all the in-flight stuff (and I think we all know Cruise is nutty enough to do a lot of those in-flight stunts himself, likely without a ton of CGI - or at least the obvious CGI)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 11:20:09 AM »
ussmidwaymuseum Happy #TopGunDay! 🎉Start celebrating by watching the highlights of the #TopGun: Maverick Global Premiere that took place at the USS Midway Museum last week! Comment your favorite @topgunmovie quote now!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »
Finally caught up to this one last weekend, and I'll give two (brief) perspectives.  Long story short:
* me, not a huge fan of the original, thought the technical achievement is off-the-hook good.  All of the in-flight cinematography & optical/visual effects looks spectacular!  This is 100% a textbook "summer tentpole action movie," with requisite cheesy dialogue/delivery (at times I legit lol'ed at the beginning at some of the dialogue, and not necessarily because it was an audience expectation if you know what I mean), a mostly dopey plot, etc.  I found some of the plot points slightly strained, but I absolutely applaud the writers for not being too on-the-nose with their nostalgia delivery.  FWIW, oddly my parents never saw TOP GUN, and they had zero problems following the story/character beats; if you are a fan of the original film, there are easter eggs and references you'll get - some obvious, some a little more subtle.
I would give this movie *** out of ****: a solid, enjoyable movie where everything technically clicks, especially the fighter jet stuff.  The plot and dialogue are a bit cheesy and dopey at times, but this is a better-than-average summer tentpole action movie.

* my wife, a high schooler when TOP GUN was released (I was a middle schooler), and loves the original: she LOVED the movie!  TOP GUN: MAVERICK exceeded her expectations, and she caught more 'easter eggs' than I did!  She's not as overly analytical as I am, but she thought the production was really well done & she was invested in the story & character threads. She says this is **** our of ****: a fun time at the movies!

My favorite easter egg: when Jennifer Connelly has her first scene, in a bar, you can faintly hear a David Bowie song playing on the jukebox or something.  She of course had a break-out role as the lead in LABYRINTH, with Davie Bowie; and while the song is not from LABYRINTH (it's instead "Let's Dance"), I still thought that was a bit of a cheeky joke  :P

Interesting discussion, adjacent to discussing this film, is that critics and fans REALLY seem to like this movie.  I can't help but think that's more of a reaction/commentary on the current landscape of tentpole, blockbuster summer movies: where giving the audience something "different" from, say, a Marvel or DC comic hero type of movie that's done well = big love.  TOP GUN: MAVERICK seems to be the first film of COVID that has brought older audiences out to the theaters in droves.  We could argue the same for NO WAY HOME, maybe, but that was a LOT "safer" of a COVID bet than any other movie released so far during the pandemic.  I think MAVERICK is the first "break-through" blockbuster that has driven all the demographics back to theaters, for two weekends in a row no less!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 12:14:07 PM »
I enjoyed this one, They were smart to hold it back until after things were more open.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion